RECOIL THROWER

MT7

Newly Enlightened
hey everyone,
I want to buy for me a ultra thrower flashlight,that have almost only hotspot,without much spill. something like this:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...oil-Thrower-Review-WARNING-56K-Heavy-Pictures!
are there any really good flashlight (with normal build quality,not a budget light of trustfire,ultrafire etc.) that have this function?
are there any option to modificate any flashlight to be a really good thrower without much spill around the hotspot?
maybe are there anything like diffuser,but which make the opposite thing-to focus the beam to maximize the beam distance?
thanks advance...

Imon

Enlightened
The Dereelight DBS V3s are pretty popular on this forum. I would go smooth reflector with a XR-E for a pencil beam, however, there will still be some spill.
If you want pure throw you'll have to go for a light with a aspheric lens. There are many "custom" lights with aspherics that are pure throwers and project the shape of the LED die. Lights like the DEFT come to mind.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, that recoil light in the link looks borderline aspheric lens style beam. The Pelican flashlights with recoil have tight beams but good spill.
Also FoxFury has some recoil lights now, seen the advert in the marketplace :thumbsup:

stallion2

Enlightened
+1 for the Dereelight DBS w/ XR-E & SMO or aspheric head. both will give you great throw. Tiablo A9 or A10 is another one that produces great results and also has an aspheric head option. not sure where to find them at this point though.

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Geez, that recoil light in the link looks borderline aspheric lens style beam. The Pelican flashlights with recoil have tight beams but good spill.
Also FoxFury has some recoil lights now, seen the advert in the marketplace :thumbsup:

Hi CarpentryHero. Thanks so much for the mention! The lights you were referring to are called our Breakthrough BT2 (2 degree beam) and BT3 (3 degree) right angle lights.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I bought a recoil thrower. I wasn't impressed. If you want a super thrower for $15 shipped, buy the Jacob A60 from deal extreme. It does have a plastic reflector, but it will throw for the money with the best of them. I think it's got a 55mm head.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CarpentryHero. Thanks so much for the mention! The lights you were referring to are called our Breakthrough BT2 (2 degree beam) and BT3 (3 degree) right angle lights.

Your welcome, I'm glad you make the lights you do to help keep my fellow civil servants safe. I'm a maint carpenter for the city of Edmonton and work with firefighters on board ups occasionally.

MT7

Newly Enlightened

Hey foxfury,can you tell me-what is the price of FoxFury Breakthrough BT3? what is the beam distance of the BT3? is it LED flashlight?
where can I get those flashlight? because I didn't find those flashlights on Ebay...
thanks advance...

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could consider one of CPF member saabluster's Deft offerings if they are in your budget. Just do some searching on CPF and you'll find many posts. There is also the option of modifying a P60 host with an aspheric lens and here too you can find many posts if you search CPF and/or the Marketplace. I think moderator Norm provided a link onetime to a member who sells everything you need to modify a P-60 into an aspheric but I can't seem to find it. I have an Ultrafire WF-008 and it works great. There is probably no cheaper thrower available that is as effective as this for the price. ($20.70 USD - DX - SKU 22934) It is a true recoil thrower (emitter is facing backwards into a highly focused concave reflector). (edit: I'm not familiar with the Jacob A60) The only problem I had was that the switch was not reliable but it turned out that this light's tail switch is compatible with standard P-60 hosts so any one of the Solarforce switches will work fine and are much nicer to use than the switch the light comes with.

Of course, there are many dedicated throwers out there these days, depending on your budget but most are not recoil throwers in design. If you have a limited amount to spend, the Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 is an excellent, well made thrower for the money.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey foxfury,can you tell me-what is the price of FoxFury Breakthrough BT3? what is the beam distance of the BT3? is it LED flashlight?
where can I get those flashlight? because I didn't find those flashlights on Ebay...
thanks advance...

Why don't you just go to the Foxfury site? Pm sent

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, for pure throw, its hard to beat the Deerelight Aspheric with EZ900 pill, etc.

The new Crelant 7G5 V2 with Aspheric head is arriving soon though, and that's an 850 lumen aspheric vs the ~ 300 lumen Deerelight Aspheric.

The DEFT edc LR+ is awesome if you want a pocket sized thrower though...the others all have larger heads that negate pocket use, etc.

I don't have a Foxfury light, so I can't tell you what I see when using them....but I have beam shots for the ones I DO use.

I did go on the Foxfury site, but they give no range info, no lux at 1 M, etc...so, there's no way from that info at least to predict throw.

In the site's videos, the beam is very concentrated, with decent spill, and if you want little to NO spill, then they won't work for you.

Frankly, some spill is typically very useful...but, you did specify NOT wanting it.

:D

7005255040_5eda71b3c1_c.jpg

For example, here's a shot of the deerelight aspheric on a round tree about 400 meters away.

Notice ALL you see is the LED shaped light on the tree itself, nothing around it.

7151341661_10ed733ff9_c.jpg

Here's the same shot but with a reflector lensed, but dedomed, Olight SR90

Notice that the tree is still brightly lit, but so it a areas around it, and, between you and the tree.

7005273080_d95950cac8_c.jpg

Same shot, but with Crelant 7G5 V2, REFLECTOR LENSED.

Notice that, again, the tree is lit up, but so is the stuff around and on the way out TO the tree.

The ASPHERIC lensed Crelant 7G5 V2 will take that same light, and make it throw more like the Deerelight's beam, but with 850 Lumens, instead of the Deerelight's ~ 300 Lumens.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Just a question out of curiosity. If building onesself a recoil thrower, would it be practical to not only have the primary recoil led in the head, but also an led at the bottom of the reflector basin? (basically a typical flashlight in conjunction with the recoil design) That way it'd be like having a decent spill as well as 2x the amount of light and a more intense hotspot. Any advice? :D

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd have an led where there is usually reflector, which may affect the throw and a second emitter chewing up juice..... Although it may work with a little tweaking or placing the second emitter under the cone of the reflector. I only have the Pelican recoil to try and wrap my head aroun the idea, if you made yours like the Dealxtreme setup i think it'd work.
Shortened runtimes and not sure of beam quality unless you were able to choose whether both LED's were on at the same time ;) then that would be an awesome light :D

Ragnar66

Enlightened
I just ordered the new Deerlight Nightmaster aspheric. Lookin forward to it.....my first aspheric.