Which P60 LED bulb for a specific application

rexican

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
Last week I was on a hog hunt and I brought alone my Klarus XT-10 and surefire G3 with malkoff m61L bulb. I'm running rechargeable 17670's and 17500's. They worked great for me, but I had trouble directing my buddies attention to something since both of them are pretty much all flood: there is no real focused center beam on them.
Anyways, I found a good deal on a 6p bezel that should be here next week, and I'm looking for a new p60 type bulb. I plan to put it and the bezel on my old surefire 6Z. It already has a lighthound replacement cree bulb(which has a pretty good mix of spot and flood), but the bezel won't screw down all the way and has a significant gap between it and the body.
So here's what I plan on doing:
Take the bezel and lighthound bulb from my 6Z and put it on my spare G3 that I keep in a drawer.
Put the 6P bezel on my 6Z and choose a replacement p60 lamp.
leave my other g3 with malkoff M61L bulb alone, I really like that setup.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on a LED p60-style replacement bulb that will go into a surefire 6Z with 6P bezel that won't leave an awkward gap(and if possible has a good mix of spot and flood). It doesn't need to be ridiculously bright, and I'll be using CR123's, rechargeables, and 17670s in it.
If you have a suggestion, like putting the 6P bezel on my G3 and putting a different bulb in it (I got the M61L so I wouldn't melt the nitrolon bezel) I'd be happy to hear it.
Thanks,
Rex
_DSC0213.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0210.jpg
[/IMG]

kenphliu

Newly Enlightened
is it possible to take out the larger spring? if so, wrap the drop in with copper foil so it would snug with the 6z body. it would serve the purpose as the spring and also a better heat conduction.

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
I recommend:
Nailbender XPE R2, 1 level, 1.4 amps, orange peel reflector, 3-6 volts (two CR123s or one 17670) $30

What do you plan on doing with the 6Z bezel?

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Lumens Factory drop-in leave a gap like that on my C3. To fix it take off the big outer spring and cut ONE complete ring off of it to where the ring overlaps by only an 1/8" or so. Put this small ring back on the module all the way into the groove and it will work great, good ground path and NO GAP. :thumbsup:

Jamie

rexican

Newly Enlightened
the outer ring will come off. for some reason it simply does not like my 6z. Even using just 1 coil it leaves the same amount of gap. I can see where the spring rubs against the housing and bezel, preventing it from moving any further.
With the 6z bezel on a g3 there is almost no gap.
icon8.gif
So, I'll leave the lighthound dropin and 6z bezel on the g3 in my drawer.
I'll put in an order for a nailbender: I've spent way too much money on flashlight stuff this year, but another $30 can't hurt.
6zbezelong3.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts