Arc-AA: Wear at negative end of battery tube...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron525

Newly Enlightened
I just received a new Arc-AA first, but there is wear at the negative contact inside the battery tube. The ChemKote is worn away; it looks like it may have been filed or maybe a battery twisted against it many many times. I'm wondering if my unit has been used, or is this normal.

I also noticed that the positive battery contact has been dimpled. Did Arc "punch" the contact to shorten the battery? Or, did I maybe get a "test" unit?

gyverpete

Enlightened
The dimpling of the solder blob +contact will occur by overtightening the head(even just once) which crushes the battery tip and dents the solder. Normal use will gradually wear the solder down so it is flatter, but it doesn't leave a mark. The chemkote wear is probably the result of repeated use and overtightening.
Though neither problem should affect performance or durability, you rightfully should expect your light to be in unused condition. I'd contact ARC. They're good about resolving issues.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Generally, all of these "twist-on" type lights should only be twisted till the point that it comes on. Overtightening is common and should be avoided. Generally speaking, the folks who overtighten items like this are the same folks how turn off a faucet way past the point where the water stops running. Just as that will damage your faucet and cause you to replace parts prematurely, overtightening your ARC-AA or ARC-AAA will cause the same type of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.