Inova X1 or Arc AA?

gorlank

Enlightened
I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the X1. It looks like a good bargain. I want to pick up a couple for Christmas gifts as well. Just wanted to know how it would compare to the Arc AA. Any thoughts?
I own an X5T as well as several Arc AAA's and have been impressed by the quality of both company's respective products.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either, but I have read reviews and have seen pictures of both.

The Inova X1 is pretty large considering it runs on an AA battery. This is due to the optics and tail cap switch.

The ARC AA is small in size and does not have optics nor a tail cap switch. It can be stood on its tail though to provide room illumination (one version of the AA's.)

Light output - I can't comment, again since I don't own or use either of these lights, just providing information I gathered from reading reviews which are very though.

The Inova X1 has a concentrated lightout put in a circle with no side spill. This is due to the optics.

The Arc AA has side spill with a nice hot spot.

Plug - I love my Arc AAA LE. It looks very weathered (currently in college dorms and going to my reserve unit once a month) Marines and College students have thrown my Arc AAA too many times. I got two goot size dents in the eat. Scratches all over the body and split end tail cap. I have been through several AAA's that have flattened tops due to the impact. I have taken showers with it. Despite all this, it still works great. I will snap a picture soon of the messed up beam due to the sides of the Arc being dented, it needs to be up close to notice it though.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Arc AA is based on a very proven over-all design, so 1st run bugs will probably be non-existant.

It's also a lot smaller, maybe longer run time too?

I like the quality of my AA, it's solid except for the thinish new tail design.

I've haven't seen a X1 yet, but I imagine the throw would be better, and the flood effect would be less than the AA.

imho, my Arc AA has a better 'feel' than my (old style) Inova 5XT. You may or may not feel the same based on using your Inova and arc units.

Peronally I'd be happy to get either for xmas... if I wasn't a flashaholic I think I'd get more use out of an Arc AAA, because it would be carried with me every day on my keychain.

jtice

Flashaholic
The X1 will have much better throw. Very good throw for a single 5mm led. BUT, it has NO side spill at all.
So, its not going to be a good light for closeup work.

I LOVE my Arc AA. It is much brighter than my AAA's. It has much wider, brighter spill light.

I have an X1 on preorder. I have an X5T now, and love it as well. Very well made.

The Arc AA is a very useful light for closeup work. It is alot shorter than the X1.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Arc AA, but I am excited to receive the Inova X1 for the reasons jtice mentions.

I'd like to have the "better throw" option.

My Arc AAA will still be king of my front trousers pocket. The Inova X1 and Arc AA are a little larger than I find comfortable for constant carry in the city.

My Inova X5T has been such a reliable and useful light, I'll bet the X1 will be too.

BC

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I was really anticipating the release of the Inova X1, but I've sort of given up on it. "If" it's ever released, I'll eventually get one (or a few), but my excitement over it is gone. I haven't seen the new Dorcy 1AA, and I'm about to order a CMG Sonic, but my trusty Arc AAA is always with me.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X1 should be good for mods,
I wonder how easy it will be to add a Madmax dialed down to around half a watt or so? ???? How well will the existing optics work with a LS???? Overall, I have lost my excitement for the X1... the Arc AA has already been modded and it looks good.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far:

X1 = vaporware (until Tuesday)

Arc AA = Very nice and has a nice feel in your hand.

We'll just have to see what comes out in the wash.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are really two very different lights, with different design goals in mind. Both offer long runtime off 1 LED, but Arc is for flood, and Inova for throw.

BTW, the Inova has already been released, just not in the states. Anyone know when we can get them? I still want one. I figure if I can't succesfully mod it to LS, at the very least it will replace my Impact II, since it's smaller, takes AA, and has a tactical type switch.

Also, has anyone considered that these lights could make a beautiful compliment to each other for walks in dark woods? Arc for nearby flood, Inova for occasional medium range "tactical" spot.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the spirit, Lux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

With the successive postponements for the USA release of the X1, I don't blame people for their lack of enthusiasm for it.

That X1 is a slick looking little darlin'. I'm hoping that a UV version will be forthcoming. I have a UV 6 LED flashlight I bought off Ebay for $11.00 enroute as well as an Arc AAA UV. An X1 in UV will fit right between them.

My little boy and I are gonna go scorpion hunting with them.

BC

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, where do you get those? I think that X5T UV would be boss with all all that flood. I kind of spazzed out and bid on that light on Ebay. But I did win it for about $5 less than it normally sold for. I don't know what brand it is.

BC

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did two group buys on them so far. I'm gearing up for another. I can put you on my "notify" list. They are $55 shipped at the most as opposed to $65-$80ish. I'm working on a discount this time, but they are already working on a low profit margin.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Meridian's supposed to be getting the X1's beginning Monday this coming week (10/27)......

Of the places offering pre-orders, this is the earliest I've seen. Check the "Dealer's Corner" sub-Forum.

I know that the TAD guys also had a widely publicized pre-order going, but I'm unsure as to their anticiped delivery date.

Like Lux said, it's just that us Stateside guys haven't gotten them on a mass-market basis 'till now.

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DumboRAT said:
Meridian's supposed to be getting the X1's beginning Monday this coming week (10/27)......

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I just preordered.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Lux,

=)

His website said this Thurs. (30), but when I called him last Friday, he said, over the phone, that the X1's should start in on Mon. Either way, that's still this week, LOL.

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now it says Tuesday (10/28), and according to a thread on the Dealers forum, he also says 10/28.

Oh no! I just thought of something. What if he means 2004? I better run over and check.....

....OK, I checked. He means 2004. Had me worried there. Then again, what's another year waiting for this light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
..... you mean , he means 2003. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yea, this wait has been crazy. I preordered about a week after they accepted orders. MAN what a wait its been.

P.S. I preordered from tadgear, and last week they returned my email saying they have no idea about a realease date. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif