DIAMOND JUBILEE

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I was cycling down the Thames Path in London, UK last night - several things were illuminated by my Jetbeam St Cycler and Fenix HP11. Several large green things. Green as frogs, large as paddling pools. Wet as the incessant rain could make them. I was fairly sure that these green things were not there the night before. They had landed in the last twenty four hours!!!

Basically they were umbrellas of the kind fishermen use to get away from their families. And underneath them were people, not just any kind of people, but patriotic people. For today is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and a special boat Pageant is planned this afternoon, rain and all. Many many boats of all sizes will chug their way downriver from Hammersmith to the Tower Bridge. The Royal Barge at the front, the Queen waving and smiling at the front. With throngs of loyal subjects and curious tourists. All the state leaders and leaderenes will be in their finest and will raise a smile, a glass, a hand in toast to Elizabeth the second.

So I wondered if the people under umbrellas in the rain with their thermoses and sandwiches and radios were the extreme end of British Pride, or whether the rest of us are just a bit jaded and distracted by other things. For I confess, the Jubilee has snuck upon me unnoticed until last night.

To all CPFers - Brits and Commonwealth and out there in the real world - are we in Britain living an anachronism? Are we merely paying dues to an outmoded sense of fealty and serfdom? Or should we revel in our modern take on an old and traditional theme?

So, is it "Cheers Maam, and a Happy Diamond Jubilee to you, Your Royal Highness." - Or is it "Ruddy posh layabouts, you'll be the first against the wall when the Revolution comes!" - or somewhere in between?

Or is mention of the Royal Family a thread killer in and of itself?

fyrstormer

Banned
To all CPFers - Brits and Commonwealth and out there in the real world - are we in Britain living an anachronism? Are we merely paying dues to an outmoded sense of fealty and serfdom? Or should we revel in our modern take on an old and traditional theme?
Speaking as a citizen of a nation that has lost all sense of civility in politics, I have to say there's a certain benefit to having your Head of State's job not involve making decisions that half the population will disagree furiously with no matter what they choose to do.

Vesper

Enlightened
So, is it "Cheers Maam, and a Happy Diamond Jubilee to you, Your Royal Highness."

Yes, this! I'm tired of all the colors being squished out of everything in efforts not to offend or be more "worldly". Revel in your unique Britishness, and Happy Diamond Jubilee to you and yours.

:thumbsup:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers to the Queen I say. A lady that has done nothing but work selflessly for this country for the past 60 years and more. God bless you Maam. Now I have to go start setting up for the street party we are having this afternoon.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elizabeth II is only a few years away from being the longest serving monarch of the 3rd longest unbroken monarchy in history. It's no small achievement.

fyrstormer

Banned
Cheers to the Queen I say. A lady that has done nothing but work selflessly for this country for the past 60 years and more. God bless you Maam. Now I have to go start setting up for the street party we are having this afternoon.
It's easy to be selfless when you're independently wealthy. That being said, it's also easy to be selfish when you're independently wealthy, so kudos to her for choosing to be selfless.