Updated - New Tests - Niwalker NWK550 Real World Torture Tests

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Note - the manufacturer notified me that this pre-production sample has a different model etched onto the light than will be on the production model, thus the change in the title to "NWK550". You'll see NWK600 referenced throughout the thread, but NWK550 is the correct model #.)

Perhaps you've seen my other tests of a couple of Niwalker lights...HERE and HERE. In addition, Selfbuilt did a couple of his excellent reviews HERE and HERE. HKJ, too, did an awesome review HERE.

My tests are not intended to 'review' the lights - rather, I am attempting to subject them to some "real world" torture. No, I'm not out to perform the most sadistic abuse possible. Some testers might be far harder on a light than I am in these tests. Rather, this is an attempt to subject the lights to abuse that could be encountered in real world: LEO, Military, hard users...drops, accidental dunkings, leaving the light outside to freeze, and even the odd extra hot environment.

It was hard for me to start abusing this one. This is a VERY nice looking light - granted, we are subjected to a lot of cookie cutter designs these days, but subtle differences can be appreciated, and the Niwalker has subtle differences that appeal to me. In addition, there's an interesting mode switch control on the side of the tail cap - this button will also engage the tactical strobe. Very cool.

So before I defaced this nice looking light, I thought I'd take and share some eye candy photos. The light was supplied to me with 2 very nice holsters/pouches as well as a couple of nice lanyards:
Light%2520and%2520sheaths.jpg

File1713.JPG

Anno and graphics are nice
File1725.JPG

File1744.JPG

File1728.JPG

See the side button? The side button allows immediate activation of tactical strobe, or by holding it for just over 2 seconds you can switch the light between 'normal' (tail cap gives hi/med/lo) and tactical - (tail cap gives high with strobe activated through the side switch.)
File1726.JPG

Nice finish and seal on the light engine
File1732.JPG

And that XML emitter deep inside a smooth reflector
LED.jpg

So let the torture begin - let's fill a pan with water

Let's boil it - boiled for an hour

Now let's freeze it! Into the "chill chest" we go...bwah ha ha ha haaaa!!:devil:
P1030681.JPG

A few hours later, frozen almost solid -

Uh, oh. Light stopped working! I thawed out the block and discovered that there was a bit of water inside the battery tube...

I took everything apart and set it aside to dry. After about 30 minutes, put it back together and dropped in a battery and it fired right up! Time to get on with the drop tests...

UPDATE FROM NIWALKER - They are going to utilize a larger / beefier O Ring in the tail to make certain the light is water tight.

Today's audience for the drop tests includes:
Tigger - who thinks I've lost my mind
File1753.JPG

Heidi, who has likely lost her mind (but almost gets bombed with the light .... later...:crazy:)
File1738.JPG

Sassy, who could not care less...
File1755.JPG

And Penny, the wise 15 year old Sheltie who KNOWS I've lost my mind! :p
File1764.JPG

So as usual, I filled a bag with sand and rocks and tossed the light around (simulating dropping in gravel, on the beach, or in the desert?

Next were 2 drops from the window - maybe 15 feet or so?

Heidi - look out below!!

The light survived these drops with very little noticeable surface scuffing - it looks far worse on the following video than it really is. After washing the debris away, there are only surface scrapes to the tail where the light apparently landed both times. Still, I threw it against the fence and it tumbled and rolled along the gravel patio (and some concrete slabs) with virtually no marks to the anno. It's clearly a tough light.
Before:

P1030692.JPG

P1030693.JPG

After
IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

Seriously - this is after the abuse and a good washing. If I had tried could I have made it look worse? Sure. But the drops and tosses were purely random - just as if you accidentally dropped it while on duty or out walking your dogs late at night. Clearly you can just go use this one and not worry about it!

IMG_6828.JPG

So the verdict? Another tough light from Niwalker. 420 (1 cell - with 2 cells just over 700 lumen - see post #4) lumen on high in my sphere - nice tint and beam shape - good throw - good spill - but I'll leave that for whoever might end up testing this light. It did operate sporadically after the boil/freeze tests. I dried it out in the oven for about 30 minutes and it was fine. Later, it acted up again and when I took it apart, I noticed moisture in the tail cap/switch assembly. I put everything in a bag of rice with a desiccant package overnight - this morning, everything works PERFECTLY. I think that perhaps some lube on the threads and o ring might eliminate this concern, but after all - I BOILED it and FROZE it! And a simple drying and everything is back to normal.

Nice job, Niwalker! :clap: :goodjob: :clap: Looking forward to some operational tests!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: Niwalker NWK600 Real World Torture Tests

Good stuff! Glad Heidi escaped unharmed... Definitely a sturdy light!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update - when I tested this light I mentioned 420 lumen in my home made integrating sphere. I've made this disclaimer many times - I make no claims for the absolute accuracy of this sphere, but in the over 2 years I have been using it (since I built it - see HERE), it has proven to be reliable.

The reading on the Niwalker was with 1 AW18650 - the same cell that went through the boiling, freezing, etc.

I just tested it with a new AW button top 2200mAh 18650 - fully charged - and it read 470 lumen, then I switched out that cell with 2 AW 18350 IMR cells - the reading of the light jumped to just over 700 lumen.

Just FYI

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay folks - in spite of the fact that I don't care for the sound of my own voice :eek: I am posting a couple of videos. First up is a description of the Niwalker's user interface. (Note, when I say "remove the head" near the end of the video, what I mean is that to fit into the weapon mount, simply remove the head, slip the body into the holder of the mount, then re-attach the head. Seems obvious, but I wasn't clear on the video).

This next one explains my sphere and how it measured the Niwalker. I did make one math error (in my head) on the Malkoff - I say it is just under 260 lumen when in fact my sphere measured just under 250. No idea the state of the battery - I usually get 261 out of the M61. Similarly, I say "just under 700" on the Niwalker - it's actually right at 665.

Incidentally, the 'build thread' is HERE

And there here is the white wall beam profile from about a meter from the wall (actually a door)
beam%2520profile%2520niwalker.jpg

I'm more impressed with this light every day!

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

very tough light!!
buttrock.gif