Beam of Sunwayman T20CS, ThruNite Scorpion V2 and Jetbeam RRT-21

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry for my many and bored questions but I'm a new guy and I never thought to enter in this such big flashlight earth. Now I'm on the home straight. Can you describe the beams of Sunwayman T20CS, ThruNite Scorpion V2 and Jetbeam RRT-21? I mean about length and wide of the throw and about light around, so that I know where I have to put my foot in a black night in wild environment with high trees. I hope T20 CS and Scorpion V2 are easy to use like Jetbeam RRT-21. I like small flaslights and I hope you don't curse me. ;) Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
marshall of goinggear has done videos on the three lights you are inquiring about, including distant beam footage. go to his store website or watch them on youtube under goingprepared.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
I thank you. I will watch it. But I have watched so many pictures ... about many flashlights but the reality is very different from the pictures and I'm afraid to make a mistake in buying it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I thank you. I will watch it. But I have watched so many pictures ... about many flashlights but the reality is very different from the pictures and I'm afraid to make a mistake in buying it.

One pratfall you can take when asking what light to get is that, on average, everyone just tells you to get what THEY got.

Part is because they know THEY like it, and, they typically have no idea what YOU would like.

ADD to the above that YOU have no CLUE what you REALLY want. Your posts are all over the map. How can a stranger GUESS what YOU want, when YOU don't even know?

How can anyone KNOW when the "Right Answer" has BEEN reached?

:D

Really, you NEED to imagine the light shining where you will be shining it, and, what you are trying to SEE with it. Take an imaginary walk through the area...using your imaginary light as you go.

(I'll wait...)

OK, now that you have done that (If you have NOT, please, do it now....I'll wait again....):

How large a patch of light is projected on to what stuff, how far away?

Is there a RANGE of distances, and, size of the beam ON those targets that you imagined?

Tell us what you imagined, and what the light was helping you to SEE.

:D

Pictures, videos, etc, ARE your best bet, at least to COMPARE the beams.

Goinggear is ESPECIALLY useful, as they

1) Do a TON of lights

2) Do the beam shots in the same locations, making it easier to COMPARE to OTHER beam shots.

Otherwise, Its VERY hard to find

1) Someone who HAS the lights you want compared

2) Has shot beam shots OF these lights

3) Has shot these beam shots in the same location or night so as to allow comparison of the beam shots to each other.

One guy might have one of them, shined into his backyard, another onto a wall, and a third at a tree or bush, etc...

If the target is small, you can't SEE what light PASSED the target because the beam was larger, just the lit target. This makes beams that are different, look the same.

If the target is too close, you can't tell the difference in throw, as ALL of them hit it hard enough to look lit, etc. This ALSO makes them look the same.

You need a large enough target, far enough away, so as to DELINEATE the beam performances...for a variety of beam types.

This is NOT an easy task, given the variety of beam types, power, etc.

--------------------

If it helps you describe what you think you want....paste the pics of the light beams you think you like best (They are in the several threads you asked about this quest...), and ALSO some beams that you DIDN'T like.

This will help steer recommendations as well.

Last edited:

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
TEEJ, you are right, I agree on every your word. I often go into wild environment and every time that taget is different. The forest can be very thick and I need to proceed by macete cutting the branches but sometime there are wide spaces. Sometime in the night I go for hunting with indigenous and I need more light around. Sometimes I have to scan high and far trees.
For this reason I look for a flashlight that can give me everything, narrow throw, wide throw, enough light around. I have watched attently the beams of the three flashlights and they seem good for me but I like more the beam of Sunwayman T20CS and Eagletac G25C2 but I look also for a flashlight very easy to use: from high light to normal ligh and low light. Therefore I need to know what flashlight is easier to use. Is Sunwayman T20CS good for me or is there another one better? Or is Eagletac G25C2 better for me? I hope these writings can help to choose a good flashlight for me!

PS. If should exist a smaller flashlight with similar caracteristics I would buy the smaller one.

Last edited:

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
thrunite scorpion v2 with turbo head will throw the farthest but the light is larger than the t20cs and it's tailcap and UI have been complained about. i don't care for eagletac, just my personal preference. i do have a t20cs swapped to a neutral emitter. it is compact, feels nice in the hand and is a relatively good thrower for its size and diameter. sunwayman fit, finish, overall craftsmanship it one of the best if not the best from china. so am i biased to the t20cs? yes... but with good reason.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
TEEJ, you are right, I agree on every your word. I often go into wild environment and every time that taget is different. The forest can be very thick and I need to proceed by macete cutting the branches but sometime there are wide spaces. Sometime in the night I go for hunting with indigenous and I need more light around. Sometimes I have to scan high and far trees.
For this reason I look for a flashlight that can give me everything, narrow throw, wide throw, enough light around. I have watched attently the beams of the three flashlights and they seem good for me but I like more the beam of Sunwayman T20CS and Eagletac G25C2 but I look also for a flashlight very easy to use: from high light to normal ligh and low light. Therefore I need to know what flashlight is easier to use. Is Sunwayman T20CS good for me or is there another one better? Or is Eagletac G25C2 better for me? I hope these writings can help to choose a good flashlight for me!

PS. If should exist a smaller flashlight with similar caracteristics I would buy the smaller one.

You have just discovered why flashaholics need more than one light.

:welcome:

Really, you'd be better served by two lights, one flood, such as the Zebralight SC600, and one with throw....as there are not too many choices that are good at BOTH that are ALSO small. You don't sound like you need more than 100 meters or so of throw though, that reaches tree tops, and the far end of clearings, unless you are able to fit a few football fields into the clearings, etc...so, the BEST choice would be a light with "Floody Throw"

The ones you mentioned above here might be OK for throw, but, close up, it would be like trying to see around you through a paper towel tube type of view...very hard for situational awareness/hunting/not getting hurt.

The easiest UI (Easiest to use) I know of, for the floody throw light, is the Klarus XT11. SUPER SIMPLE to use....one button on/off, a second button to change brightness....and it uses the same cells to power it as the SC600, so you only need one type of cell with you.

It can also take CR123 primary cells, and RCR123 rechargeable cells, in addition to the 18650 cells the SC600 takes...giving flexibility in emergencies.

The SC600 is only ~ 4" long, but pumps out 750 lumens when you need them, but can be throttled down to less than a lumen for "firefly" type lighting....so it meets your "smaller light" preference.

The Klarus XT11 is only about 5" long (Both are a little longer than an 18650 cell), with extra length for a tail switch and a deeper reflector head for more throw...also a smaller light.

The XT11 pumps out 600 lumens on an 18650, but was measured at over 850 lumens on RCR123's.

Plan C (Or whatever we're up to...) might be to spring for a Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11, which has the form factor of a soda can, a side switch, also takes 18650's, but more of them...but has a very strong but floody beam...so on low settings, the flood might be adequate, and on high, its 2,000 lumens will throw just from shear horsepower...a few hundred meters.

On the downside, its the size/weight of a can of soda...and might not work ergonomically for you if you have small hands...and want something smaller/lighter.

So, for what you describe, really, two small lights, each with the proper niche, would do the job properly for you, and, the strong floody beam of the SC600 does have the range to hit things 40-50 meters away, and the floody throw of the XT11 does have enough flood to work at medium close distances in your context...so if you lose one, you won't be as crippled/blind as if you only had ONE light out there in the jungle.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
i do have a t20cs swapped to a neutral emitter. it is compact, feels nice in the hand and is a relatively good thrower for its size and diameter. sunwayman fit, finish, overall craftsmanship it one of the best if not the best from china. so am i biased to the t20cs? yes... but with good reason.
Sunwayman T20cs is easy to use? I have read is Sunwayman T20cs uses one 18650 battery with turbo, it doesn't work fine. Is it true? Thanks

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
You have just discovered why flashaholics need more than one light.
The easiest UI (Easiest to use) I know of, for the floody throw light, is the Klarus XT11. SUPER SIMPLE to use....one button on/off, a second button to change brightness....
Ok, but why Klarus XT11 and not the super simple EAGLETAC G25C2? This gives a stronger throw around 270 meters and Klarus 170 meters.

Last edited:

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
the t20cs is easy to use. with 2xcr123a turbo is 658 lumen. with 1x18650 it is less than but there is still a difference between turbo and high with 1x18650. i am not the concerned with it and rather have the increased runtime with an 18650. you might also check out the armytek viking s (more throw) or viking x (brighter).

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
the t20cs is easy to use. with 2xcr123a turbo is 658 lumen. with 1x18650 it is less than but there is still a difference between turbo and high with 1x18650.
Using 1x18650 is there a light decrease (turbo) with every flashlight or with a few only?
Why is armytek viking s run time so much? It is 3h 20min. with one 18650 battery.

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi Adriano.

I've got the RRT-21 and the T20CS, and although they are both great lights I'd have to say I go for the RRT-21 more often than the T20CS.
Don't get me wrong, the T20CS is a great light, but I like the variable brightness control of the RRT-21.

The only drawback with the T20CS is that it always comes on high, whereas the RRT-21 is whatever you set the ring to.

If you like the T20CS, then you might want to have a look at the Spark SL6-800CW. Smaller than the RRT-21 and T20CS, has a side-switch, pumps out 800 lumens and is a solid little light.

Hope this helps.

rufus001

Enlightened
The only drawback with the T20CS is that it always comes on high, whereas the RRT-21 is whatever you set the ring to.

Not necessarily. Yes when you first turn it on via the clicky it will be on Turbo. But you can then change it to another setting and simply turn it on/off with the side switch.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
If you like the T20CS, then you might want to have a look at the Spark SL6-800CW. Smaller than the RRT-21 and T20CS, has a side-switch, pumps out 800 lumens and is a solid little light.
It is a good flashlight but ... what a pity, it has a bad run time.