Trouble with an military issue flashlight.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I don't know what in the hell is going on. I have a Fulton MX-991/U. It has worked okay up until this point. It doesn't come on. I loaded with with 2 slightly used Carbon-Zinc D batteries. I took the "head" assembly off with the batteries still in there. I turned the switch to the on position, then pulled out the electrical multi meter. Hooked both of the test probes to each of the contacts, and got a reading of ~2.6 V. I have tried different (new) bulbs. I have tried taking off the head ring and pushing the reflector with bulb to the back as if it would be in the head ring, with the switch on. All was done in vain. What is wrong all I could think is that it's either demon possessed or haunted.

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
The perfect time to order an Anglelux to replace it.Same look but now with XPG or XML LED in head.

fyrstormer

Banned
If it's standard-issue, just take it back to the place that issued it to you, tell them it's broken, and get a new one. That's what standard-issue is good for. No sense fiddling endlessly with something that doesn't work if there's even a chance your life could depend on it.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try bending the copper flange out that touches the reflector base. That is the most common issue I have experienced.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fulton angle-head light . . . I've found them to be barely decent, at best!

Cheap construction, cheap quality, and likely cheap price to supply countless soldiers as a standard-issue item. Just buy your own Angle-head light. Some good choices out there. I can definitely recommend the Streamlight Sidewinder. Yeah, you end up spending your own money. But it's better than getting stuck with a cheap piece of plastic crap.

fishndad

Enlightened
If it's standard-issue, just take it back to the place that issued it to you, tell them it's broken, and get a new one. That's what standard-issue is good for. No sense fiddling endlessly with something that doesn't work if there's even a chance your life could depend on it.

When i was in the service standard issue didnt mean they just gave you another one.
We were issued 1 time in basic training then we were given a small anual alluance for uniforms and such.
We usually got beer with that money.
Mabey its different in other branches.

By the way, ericjohn,is that you in the picture

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, that sucks. I thought the point of standard-issue was to make sure everyone had the same basic equipment, so if theirs broke in the field they could borrow someone else's and carry on like nothing happened. Not much point if the system just encourages everyone to buy their own non-standard stuff.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that sucks. I thought the point of standard-issue was to make sure everyone had the same basic equipment, so if theirs broke in the field they could borrow someone else's and carry on like nothing happened. Not much point if the system just encourages everyone to buy their own non-standard stuff.

Don't try to read too much into "standard issue." It gets flung around by surplus stores but for just the Fulton I can think of a couple different ways he might have been issued it. All of them allow what you think; Fishn described the clothing systems for active duty enlisted. Well most of the clothing system... there is also organizational clothing that can be direct exchanged but can vary based on unit and climate.

I've never had a Fulton issued to me as an individual, or had a requirement to have one and drank the funding ;). I have signed for one as a sub-component to a set... actually probably dozens as sub-components to many sets that I then signed down to others. I never just had the army give me one all for me for any extended period. They were all over the place though and I used them when light wouldn't provoke yelling from 2 klicks away. I also spent a hefty chunk of my two decades so far without an assigned M16/M4; much of the time my weapon was a pistol based on duty position. I've even been in a unit without any individual weapons. "Standard issue" doesn't necessarily mean everybody in the Army. ;)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep...was never issued one, but they are still every-where. Uncle-Sam still buys them, and so the unit's still buy them. Of course, with the changes in the supply system, where no longer limited to "standard issue", so, "rich units" get Surefires, poor units get Fultons...or, no lights at all...

ericjohn

Enlightened
I know there is nothing wrong with the switch. With batteries in and the switch turned; I removed the entier head lamp assembly (lense ring, reflector and all.) I then hooked up my multi meter probes to the contacts in my light and got a reading of 2.xx volts. that way I know there is nothing wrong with the switch and none of the internal wiring. There is something wrong with the way the "head" is not being able to "touch" the contacts. Now I set it down for a few weeks; and went I went to work on it again, the head won't even come off. It's not like I left the batteries in there. It just does that sometimes.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there is nothing wrong with the switch. With batteries in and the switch turned; I removed the entier head lamp assembly (lense ring, reflector and all.) I then hooked up my multi meter probes to the contacts in my light and got a reading of 2.xx volts. that way I know there is nothing wrong with the switch and none of the internal wiring. There is something wrong with the way the "head" is not being able to "touch" the contacts. Now I set it down for a few weeks; and went I went to work on it again, the head won't even come off. It's not like I left the batteries in there. It just does that sometimes.

I'm not referring to the continuity of the "switch", what I'm saying is, is that the part that touches the base of the reflector, there by completing the circuit, is PROBABLY NOT making contact with the reflector base. It's the copper flange behind the reflector, that runs perpendicular to the orientation of the batteries. Bend it out a little bit (away from the body), to ensure IT is making contact with the base of the reflector, when the switch is activated. How do I know this? I've about 20 of these things, and that was the only issue I've ever had.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
@ angelofwar:

thanks for the information. i will try and fine tune it. what beats the hell out of me though is that the "head" part of it won't even unscrew, unless unbelievable force is exerted on it. i had left it alone for a while and now it is sitting on my flashlight shelf.

here's another issue:

i have the xenon version of the pelican mity lite (1900). it lights up fine, but the head is extremely difficult to turn. it is something wrong with the o-ring. i tried taking the o-ring off, and then the head turns to easily.

what is happening to all of the threaded parts on my lights, if feels as if my lights have been cursed.

also i have a really old bright star 1618, then lens was fine when it was shipped to me, but i had it on my shelf for a while and the lens literally decayed. what in the hell?

fishndad

Enlightened
Hey Ericjohn? have you seen the 2xAA army angled lights? they are only $3.75 at at army surplus world.com
They also carry the 2xDD size as well.The 2xAAs look like they might be fun to fool around with.

ericjohn

Enlightened
@ Nitroz that is a good idea but i don't have the skills nor the resources to do that. right now it is just sitting on my shelf as a display.

Latest posts