E2e bright enough for home defense?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got my eye on the E2e, but is it really bright enough for tactical use in and around the house? The specs say 60 lumens(?), five less than the normal Surefire 6 volt lights...

I was considering a C3 or D3 instead but worry they'd be too big to EDC.

Jon

logical

Newly Enlightened
EDC and "tactical use in and around the house" are two different things. I keep a c3 with my home defense guns (in a quick-access safe). My C3 has no other job in it's life except to be there and work if I need a gun at night. I carry anything from an E2 down to an arc AAA LE when I'm outside the house.

Unless you are a cop or use a lite for work, I wouldn't walk around with a 9 volt.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I personally think the 6P/G2/C2/Z2/M2 series of lights are the best of both worlds because you can put in the P61 lamp but still have the smaller size of a 2-123 body.

A P60 in your eyes in a dark house is going to cause some blindness. I tested it out on myself and was incapacitated for a decent amount of time. I saw spots and couldn't really see anything for a few seconds. It will also certainly do its job of identifying a target!

I don't think I'd get an E2 as a tactical light just for the fact that you can't use brighter lamps without an aftermarket kit.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Jon, I would say M3T/MN16 or brighter. M6 is the ultimate "blinder"...

But, get a G2 or 6P before E2e. E2e is more of a flood light, while P60 LA has a LOT more throw.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel that the primary role of a tactical light is to assist in locating and identifying a target. Your house would have to be pretty enormous for an E2 not to be capable of doing that. The E2 in Harries or FBI-style is a competent choice. Don't believe me? Try it around your house yourself; it will brightly light up a nice-sized area within which anything is easily identified, and the peripheral spill will give you a good view of a broad swath of the rest of the room.

That said, like everyone else, I believe there are better choices. I like the tighter beam of the P60/P61 lamps for tactical use. I like the fact that a higher-lumen, high-candlepower light might give me an edge as the bad guy is forced to blink or turn his head. I used to use a 6P with a P60 lamp as a tactical light, then I switched to the P61, now I use a Tigerlight or M4 which are in an entirely different class.

But, to perform the basic role of a tactical light, the E-2 is not incapable, IMO. But I'd rather leave a bigger, higher-powered light as my dedicated defensive light, and use my E2 as my EDC with possible backup defensive role.

Joe

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now keep a 9P with a P91 lamp in an M2 bezel as my night table defensive light. I prefer a non-lockout tailcap for this role also. I'm thinking of adding a TID to it.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Streamlight Stinger XT HP would fit the bill nicely!

If it is around the house, it will always be in the charger, always at full brightness, always ready to go, and hs 40,000 CP, and has the tailcap switch for tactical use.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks folks. I'm really not up on tactical flashlight use and I suppose EDC and home defense really are two completely different issues.

The G2Z with a P91 looks like an acceptable choice that won't break the bank. Might look nice next to the P239 too.
smile.gif
Although, The D3 or C3 may be the right choice. I'm not sure the M series is right for me looking at cost vs benefit.

Jon

nihraguk

Enlightened
Jon: get the C3 instead of the D3 if you want a three cell light. the grip rings are very useful even if you use it in the harries method, as the light won't slip in your hand no matter how hard you're pressing on the switch, which can happen when you're under stress. if you feel you need it to be shock isolated, simply upgrade it with an M2 bezel. IMHO the M3 is unnecessary for a light to leave around the house to investigate wierd noises at night, even more so considering the price.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Gun Nut:
I personally think the 6P/G2/C2/Z2/M2 series of lights are the best of both worlds because you can put in the P61 lamp but still have the smaller size of a 2-123 body.

A P60 in your eyes in a dark house is going to cause some blindness. I tested it out on myself and was incapacitated for a decent amount of time. I saw spots and couldn't really see anything for a few seconds. .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This has been a concern of mine for quite some time. I fired up a 9p with p91 in my bedroom against the opposite wall after being dark adjusted for 30 minutes. I know that an perp would be more blinded than I but it made me quint too!!! I think personally that anything brighter than perhaps a p61 (120 lumens) would be too bright on me the user and potentially put me in a more dangerous situation indoors when there were light colored walls around to reflect some of the light back my way... just a thought. I would never use my m6 in the house for perp ID. I think it would put me at a disadvantage...

qkrthnu

Newly Enlightened
60 Lumens is should be enough to make someone see spots, but no flashlight is going stop an attacker.

Whatever light you use make sure you've got the tools to finish the job after you have them seeing spots.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd get the E2E-HA, an E2C adapter, and a P61 in a C2-HA bezel. That way, you still have the original E2E-bezel, and then get a KL1 for versatility! It's the "Swiss Army Torch"!
grin.gif

Lot of bezel swapping though...but versatile!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by logical:
......Unless you are a cop or use a lite for work, I wouldn't walk around with a 9 volt.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The original 9P with round bezel and HOLA in proprietary SF Nylon holster achieves 225 lumens in a surprisingly light and compact package: 6.5 inches and 6.7oz. The holster adds 1.3oz.

I EDC'd this for several weeks and was hardly aware of it.

For home defense I'd use the brightest flashlight possible for stun, backed up by the weapon of your choice.

Brightnorm

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just food for thought...What exactly do you want the light for? A 2-cell SF light will work fine.

Secondly, if you're house is being burglarized, there's a few things to remember: DON'T go looking for the suspect. And if you do, turn the lights on! I've never really understood the mindset of keeping the lights off. There's a few reasons why the lights could be left off, but in a majority of situations, turn the lights on.

I don't want to get into a night-time building search tactics discussion, because it will hijack this thread.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano: unfortunately, you let the cat out of the bag, so hold on, we're a-driftin' ...

As in many houses, there are many places where, if I turned on the light, I would be in the light while someone could remain in darkness somewhere. I turn on the hall light, I'm lit up, anyone in the living room or foyer is in darkness. I totally get your point about turning on the light, but only do it when it's to your advantage.

And two points about home clearing: agree it's a bad idea. But two important points:

- If I called the cops every time there was a little bump somewhere in the house, they'd start getting irritated with me. It's not always obvious there's someone in the house. If you hear something, it may be worth checking out, but no one calls the cops every time they hear a little something.

- It's a nice fantasy to sit safe in your room and call the cops. But many of us have kids, and I can't let a bad guy wander through my house near the kids room. That doesn't mean I have to go searching through my house, but I do need to move through the house to get to a position where I can defend the bedrooms -- and that requires light. And if the bogey is already in a bedroom, well, you get the point.

Joe

cmassicotte

Newly Enlightened
Dano, Joe,

This topic has gone off course in area that I would like to see it expand - it sounds like some good information could be dispensed here, about a subject that I don't know much about.

Where would be a good place to continue or start a new thread? Not being a LEO, there are a number of forums on 186K where I can't go.

Would appreciate your ideas.

Thanks

Chuck

pal251

Newly Enlightened
If I hear something in my house the Last thing I would do is turn on the lights. Sure it may help you find the perp quicker but it also helps him/her just as much. They may be hiding behind or in a object and you cannot see them immediatly then bam your dead. I would prefer the home court advantage and leave off the lights. I believe a surefire e2e would be fine for home defense. I dont see how that much extra 150 or whatever lumens is gonna help you. Unless you live in a mansion with rooms 1/4 the size of a football field you dont neeed 225 lumens. I think the g2z would be the best though because it has the rings on the flashlight for easier holding.
After you buy the flashlight take your gun out to the shooting range at night if at all possible and start shooting with it. IT will open your eyes. It is totally different. Then if you got a shotgun go out and shoot taht at night. It can be done just aint too fun.

Always remember idenfity your targetmany people have been shot for getting up and getting some milk out of the fridge at midnight