HDS Question

Sean Rorie

Newly Enlightened
Ok I have bit the bullet and ordered my first HDS light 120e clicky,at $99 dollars which I think is a bargin.$40 dollars shipping as I am outside the US.I have ordered a Moddoo stainless clip from Oveready $28.
I saw a couple of comparison beam profiles on You tube where they used the 120e and the 170e and 200e.
I was thinking of uping my order to the 170e as I did not like the beam profile of the 200e,less throw more floody.But after finding out that the emitter is now an XPG like the 200e I am hesitant to order.Henry has told me the executive and the tactical have the same beam profile so the 170t and 170e will be the same.Should I just stick to the 120e and be happy(can it be modded if desired)?Has anyone just recently received 170e and could comment on the emitter and beam profile.Henry never comments on what emitter is in use only minimum lumen output.I know lumen output isnt everything but wanted a light with good throw and nice beam pattern.
Thanks All

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 170 models use GDP (golden dragon plus) emitter. its smaller, therefore more focus, creating better throw.
the difference between the tactical and executive models are the raised or flush switch cover, and default settings.

the 170 model will give you the best throw. and its also around 50 lumens more than the 120 model. the 120 uses a SSC P4 emitter which gives its a soft, and smooth beam pattern.
ive been trying to get a XP-G rotary model, but no luck yet. so i cant comment on its beam.

an emitter swap is possible. ive seen members with XP-E and XM-L emitters in their HDS.

Imon

Enlightened
the 170 models use GDP (golden dragon plus) emitter. its smaller, therefore more focus, creating better throw.
the difference between the tactical and executive models are the raised or flush switch cover, and default settings.

the 170 model will give you the best throw. and its also around 50 lumens more than the 120 model. the 120 uses a SSC P4 emitter which gives its a soft, and smooth beam pattern.
ive been trying to get a XP-G rotary model, but no luck yet. so i cant comment on its beam.

an emitter swap is possible. ive seen members with XP-E and XM-L emitters in their HDS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the new HDS 170s, if they ever come out, now use the CREE XP-G.
I bought a 170 Clicky Nov. of last year and it was my understanding that it was one of the last batches of Golden Dragon HDS lights.

nbp

Flashaholic
Are you sure the 120s are still using the P4? I was under the impression those were GDPs too now for some reason.

Imon

Enlightened
Are you sure the 120s are still using the P4? I was under the impression those were GDPs too now for some reason.

It can get a little confusing sometimes since Henry insists on not focusing on the LED but rather the specs.
I own a two year old HDS 140 Clicky that uses a Golden Dragon Emitter.
Additionally I remember in an email exchange with Henry many months ago he told me that the 200 and 170 have more or less the same lux value in the hotspot though I'm not sure at what distance.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... LEt's see if we can clear this up a bit.

With the Legacy HDS's [ie: previous gen: before the rotary model, acme threads or programmable burst/misc UI changes and XP-G LED] and Ra Clicky's, there were two LED's available in various outputs [due to varying efficiencies]: the Osram Golden/Platinum Dragon, and the Seoul Semi Conductor P4 LED's.

The Osram GD was available in the 120, 140 and 170 outputs, with the occasional and very rare 200 model [there were/are a few out there]. With the smaller emitter, it provided a tighter, more concentrated beam, and was used in the Tactical models, as well as a custom order option [IE: Ra Clicky 120/140n].

The P4 provided a floodier beam [though an excellent general-use beam patter, if I do say so myself]. It was efficient enough to be used in the 140 models [which did NOT hold the final designation "n" for "narrow"], and is also the emitter that was used in the High CRI and Guaranteed Tint [GT] models. [High CRI was initially offered as a 120 output, but then dropped to 100. It is unknown how many 120 High CRI's are out there, as they sold out quickly, but Were for sale for, IIRC, a period of about a month]

With NEW Gen. Clicky's and Rotaries, the 120 is still an Osram GD. It is unknown at this time if Henry is still using the P4 or the Osram GD for the 140 models, but the 170 has apparently been confirmed to house an XP-G, by a poster some time ago, who had called and spoken to Henry. The 200 model, is, of course, the XP-G.

davyro

Enlightened
I have an 120e that ive just sent to have a nichia 219 led to replace the P4 that was in it so it can be modded.I also own a 170t a legacy model with the golden dragon led.The 170t has a tighter hot spot than my rotary 200 & it throws slightly better than the rotary.My 120e wasnt far behind the other 2 i own in the output department & it had a great beam.I just hope the nichia that im upgrading the 120e with has as good a beam profile.

jalal20

Enlightened
The 170e thats in my pocket now has an xpg, its from the new batch so the OP is right

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jalal20

Enlightened
i've had a rotary before and used to love its beam. The 170E has a very nice beam profile and very nice throw. It feels alot brighter than a 170 lumen light. more like 220 to me but hey thats my eyes. I think the XPG is a great improvement on a really nice light.
My opinion in those days and that is what I am currently implementing is whenever you see a new HDS light available with a dealer grab it and the brighter the better (Again its just me :) )

jalal20 tell us more do you like your 170e

john galt that was very informative thank you

Sean Rorie

Newly Enlightened
i've had a rotary before and used to love its beam. The 170E has a very nice beam profile and very nice throw. It feels alot brighter than a 170 lumen light. more like 220 to me but hey thats my eyes. I think the XPG is a great improvement on a really nice light.
My opinion in those days and that is what I am currently implementing is whenever you see a new HDS light available with a dealer grab it and the brighter the better (Again its just me :) )

Thanks jalal20 thats helped me out

gqlux

Newly Enlightened
One thing not mentioned yet is reflector surface and it's effect on beam profile. Having a few HDS/Ra lights to play with, I have the fortune of being able to swap heads/reflectors. My 140T reflector has a much smoother, less orange peel surface than the others. I put it up against my 170T with a standard (compared to my other HDS/Ra lights) orange peel finish and the 140T appeared significantly brighter and the 170T more floody and less bright to the eye. I then swapped the reflectors and the 170T became the brighter less floody light. So yeah, the reflector will impact the beam profile and to my eyes the observable quantity of light. Would that be diffusion? Also both lights have the GDP emitter.

Hope that makes sense folks.

P.S. when my High CRI rotary ordered first week January arrives that will be number 10 from Henry. I know, I have a sickness, so my fiance tells me... :grin2:

Regards,
gqlux

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Current 140s are for sure using the GDP, as I have an ACME threaded 140 with that emitter.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... LEt's see if we can clear this up a bit.

With the Legacy HDS's [ie: previous gen: before the rotary model, acme threads or programmable burst/misc UI changes and XP-G LED] and Ra Clicky's, there were two LED's available in various outputs [due to varying efficiencies]: the Osram Golden/Platinum Dragon, and the Seoul Semi Conductor P4 LED's.

The Osram GD was available in the 120, 140 and 170 outputs, with the occasional and very rare 200 model [there were/are a few out there]. With the smaller emitter, it provided a tighter, more concentrated beam, and was used in the Tactical models, as well as a custom order option [IE: Ra Clicky 120/140n].

The P4 provided a floodier beam [though an excellent general-use beam patter, if I do say so myself]. It was efficient enough to be used in the 140 models [which did NOT hold the final designation "n" for "narrow"], and is also the emitter that was used in the High CRI and Guaranteed Tint [GT] models. [High CRI was initially offered as a 120 output, but then dropped to 100. It is unknown how many 120 High CRI's are out there, as they sold out quickly, but Were for sale for, IIRC, a period of about a month]

With NEW Gen. Clicky's and Rotaries, the 120 is still an Osram GD. It is unknown at this time if Henry is still using the P4 or the Osram GD for the 140 models, but the 170 has apparently been confirmed to house an XP-G, by a poster some time ago, who had called and spoken to Henry. The 200 model, is, of course, the XP-G.

LoL thank you for clearing things up. hope i didnt confuse anybody.

jalal20

Enlightened
was it send after the long halt in production? Am not sure but it might have been changed as well since my 170e was from the newest badge and we all know that the old 170s which were ACME threaded as well had Golden Dragon emitters. Am not sure but just sayin

Current 140s are for sure using the GDP, as I have an ACME threaded 140 with that emitter.

Sean Rorie

Newly Enlightened
was it send after the long halt in production? Am not sure but it might have been changed as well since my 170e was from the newest badge and we all know that the old 170s which were ACME threaded as well had Golden Dragon emitters. Am not sure but just sayin

Henry has confirmed that the current 140 is using the Golden Dragon emitters.