Love my brand new SUREFIRE R1 LAWMAN, but have a question!

R1LAWMAN

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, new member here. Anyway, I just got a surefire R1 Lawman, and this thing is awesome. It's my 3rd surefire, and it has become my favorite. This is my first rechargeable flashlight, and heres my question: When using the supplied battery stick, is it better to let the battery get very low, before recharging it? My indicator light is no longer green, its now orange, but the light looks to be around the same brightness. I want to use the light tonight at work, and I'm not sure if its safe to charge it, with the battery still having a good amount of charge left. Any info would be great!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lithium ion cells in the R1 can be topped up whenever, and from what I've read it's a better idea to keep them charged rather than let them drain fully and recharge them.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
With lithium-ion batteries, there is no need to fully discharge it before recharging. That being said, fully discharging the light every once in a while won't do any significant harm either.

When you recharge the light, unplug the charger when the Fuel Gauge LED turns green. It turns green at 95% charge and takes another hour or two to reach 100%, but the battery is rated for 500 full discharge cycles or up to 2000 partial discharge cycles, so you'll want to avoid a full charge when possible.

Personally, I only recharge the light when the Fuel Gauge LED turns red because lithium-ion batteries degrade with age and temperature, as well as cycle count.

Last edited: