Question about magnetic control rings (like Sunwayman)

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
I've been eyeing the newer pocket lights, such as the Sunwayman, that have magnetic control rings. I have one concern, and I hope someone out there has some experience to relate: how well do they hold up to pocket lint?

Looking at my Swiss Army Knife, which I carry in my pocket, reveals that it fills up with pocket lint in only a few days of carry. If that happens to one of these lights, does the control ring get hard to use? Jam up? Stop working even if it is moving?

Inquiring minds and all that...:confused:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that the magnetic control ring is just a metal ring with magnets, spinning on a tube. In other words, the lint won't be a problem - but maybe sand could be? Get an owner of such a device to confirm, though.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS rotary has a control ring, but it does not use magnetic technology. It has been in bags and pockets every day for over a year and has not suffered an adverse effects from lots of lint.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been edcing a v10r, now v11r.for almost a year, no lint trouble, or anything like that. It has been exposed to a lot of dust and dirt, but no sand.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and typos.

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
You didn't specify which of the Sunwayman EDC's has your attention. The V10R Ti+ has the ring quite in line with the body so I would think you would find it to be fine in your pocket. Now I haven't found much on the technical side covering this specific problem, but I have the pleasure of talking with folks daily about the troubles they may be having with their lights and this has not been one I have heard of. To be truthful, in my opinion, most of the magnetic rings would be fine.

Light Junction Jeff

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Jeff, I'm thinking the M10A. Do the M series have a different ring construction than the V series (other than function, of course)?

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
Good choice. I am pretty sure they are the same, but when I get in the office in the morning, I will put my hands on them and compare. Will let you know.

Light Junction Jeff

bstrickler

Enlightened
My understanding is that the magnetic control ring is just a metal ring with magnets, spinning on a tube. In other words, the lint won't be a problem - but maybe sand could be? Get an owner of such a device to confirm, though.

It can also be a plastic ring with a magnet embedded in it, like the U2, and non-latching hall effect switches. When the magnet comes close to the hall effect switch, it acts like a secondary switch, and changes the mode/brightness.

I have been using a Surefire U2 in my pocket at work for a good 6-8 months, and haven't had an issue with dust. If the rotary ring is protected properly, you won't have any issues.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ring itself should be user-cleanable. I LOVED my V10R TI but I ended selling it because of that particular issue. I love camping, trekking, kayaking, canoe, etc... My lights must be able to survive these activities, even in the worst conditions. I had to carry it in a ziplok bag because of the ring that can't be cleaned nor greased, not very handy...

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
The ring itself should be user-cleanable. I LOVED my V10R TI but I ended selling it because of that particular issue. I love camping, trekking, kayaking, canoe, etc... My lights must be able to survive these activities, even in the worst conditions. I had to carry it in a ziplok bag because of the ring that can't be cleaned nor greased, not very handy...

I'm a little unclear and am looking for solid info on which to base a purchase decision - did you have any actual problems with it, or were you concerned that you might?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little unclear and am looking for solid info on which to base a purchase decision - did you have any actual problems with it, or were you concerned that you might?

The only problem I really had with it was when I tried to wash the light after a muddy camping trip. Some white grease immediately started to come off from the magnetic ring. The feel has then never been the same (more gritty, less precise...). The gritty feeling might also came from some sand and dust in it, I'm not sure. That's when I then decided to carry it in a ziplok bag...

If you plan to keep it in an holster and use it in a clean environment, go ahead, you will like it. If you however plan to use it outside for rather dirty job, it might not be the best choice (unless you succeed in breaking the locktite seal to service the ring...).

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
The only problem I really had with it was when I tried to wash the light after a muddy camping trip. Some white grease immediately started to come off from the magnetic ring. The feel has then never been the same (more gritty, less precise...). The gritty feeling might also came from some sand and dust in it, I'm not sure. That's when I then decided to carry it in a ziplok bag...

If you plan to keep it in an holster and use it in a clean environment, go ahead, you will like it. If you however plan to use it outside for rather dirty job, it might not be the best choice (unless you succeed in breaking the locktite seal to service the ring...).

Ahh, that puts a different "spin" on things (pardon the pun!) That's one concern I had. If I know ahead of time that I'm going to be doing a very dirty job I'll grab a different light, but it's the unexpected dirty jobs that I worry about. It sounds like normal pocket debris isn't much of a problem, but stuff which could seep into the ring (like mud) would be.

Coup de Grace

Newly Enlightened
How difficult is it to take apart this light to clean out the ring. I'd like to be able to take apart a light like this for maintenance like a folder.

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
Looking at both the V10r and M10a, I would definitely have concerns with sand/grit. Pocket carry I wouldn't have a problem though.

Light Junction Jeff

fyrstormer

Banned
I've carried my Jetbeam TC-R2 in my pocket for over a year and I haven't had any problems with lint. Lint gets trapped at the edge of the ring by the grease or oil seeping out from under the ring, the same way dust is trapped at the outer edge of your ear by earwax. (the rate of lubricant seepage is not nearly enough to cause any clothing stains, so don't worry about that.)

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok i got the v11r high CRI, will using it in wet conditions affect the ring? I thought these lights were water proof.

I let my 1 1/2 year old son play with mine in the bath tub every once in a while, and it has no problems. Wet conditions have given me no trouble.