Quark question?

hoss1968

Newly Enlightened
HI have a quark AA regular UI running on a AW 14500. When I turn the light off it takes almost 30 seconds for the light to reset to moonlight. Is this normal because of the extra voltage? When I run a AA Eneloop it resets in about 10 seconds.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Mine does not do that. It resets in about 5 seconds or less. In a recent thread, I suggested to someone to clean threads and make sure he is loosening the head enough because weird things happen when the head is on the fringe of tight/loose. He wrote back that loosening the head more did help him out with this problem.
But there is another recent thread in the CPF Marketplace where others are complaining about this same issue. My quark is one of the very first ones, so maybe newer ones might have a problem. I don't have the link handy and I'm running out the door. It's in the 4sevens section of the cpf marketplace and was around early May, so it should be easy to find.

If making sure the head is loose enough does not help, I would contact 4Sevens for warranty service.

hoss1968

Newly Enlightened
mine is a new one it has the new branding logo. I will try cleaning the threads. I have tried loosening the head more.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I would contact 4sevens. I think they say in the user manual that it should reset in 3 seconds. It looks like some guys are tolerating 10 seconds or more, but even that is too long for me. It would be a constant nuisance for as often as I turn my lights on and off.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does not do that. It resets in about 5 seconds or less. In a recent thread, I suggested to someone to clean threads and make sure he is loosening the head enough because weird things happen when the head is on the fringe of tight/loose. He wrote back that loosening the head more did help him out with this problem.
But there is another recent thread in the CPF Marketplace where others are complaining about this same issue. My quark is one of the very first ones, so maybe newer ones might have a problem. I don't have the link handy and I'm running out the door. It's in the 4sevens section of the cpf marketplace and was around early May, so it should be easy to find.

If making sure the head is loose enough does not help, I would contact 4Sevens for warranty service.

Do you run yours on li-ion, or primary/NiMH? I recall that this happens with the regular interface/UI and while on a li-ion.

hoss1968

Newly Enlightened
I cleaned the threads when I got home from work tonight and it helped some. Now with a single Eneloop it resets in 3 to 5 seconds, but with the lithium ion it still take over 20 seconds.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Do you run yours on li-ion, or primary/NiMH? I recall that this happens with the regular interface/UI and while on a li-ion.
I used it without any problems as a 1AA eneloop, a 14500, and with a primary 123 and a 16340. All reset in under 5 seconds. This is a very early model, maybe things have changed.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I cleaned the threads when I got home from work tonight and it helped some. Now with a single Eneloop it resets in 3 to 5 seconds, but with the lithium ion it still take over 20 seconds.

That would drive me crazy. I used to love quarks, but then they got very green tinted and now I'm hearing about these long reset times.

hoss1968

Newly Enlightened
I called Foursevens today and they said the 3 seconds reset time was with alkaline batteries. With lithium ions it would be longer.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I called Foursevens today and they said the 3 seconds reset time was with alkaline batteries. With lithium ions it would be longer.
If it does not bother you, just enjoy it. But if it does bug you, then I would press them on the issue to replace it.

Personally, over 10 seconds would be a usability problem for me. I get click happy and turn my lights on and off frequently as I work on things. When I edc'd the quark, I automatically clicked twice for daytime work. So if the light came back on at some unknown level, I would have gotten pretty annoyed if I accidentally clicked myself into sos mode too often.

I just tried my old quark with a fresh off the charger li-ion and it resets in under 5 seconds every time.

hoss1968

Newly Enlightened
I just swapped the head with my AA2 X and now the light resets in 5 seconds like it should. Man that X head on a 14500 is a real pocket rocket. I think I just found my new EDC light.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also running the QAAX w/14500, just now testing it, it seems to reset in the 4/5 sec range. Love this light, the floody beam and the ultra long lasting lows.

Up All Night

Enlightened
HI have a quark AA regular UI running on a AW 14500. When I turn the light off it takes almost 30 seconds for the light to reset to moonlight. Is this normal because of the extra voltage? When I run a AA Eneloop it resets in about 10 seconds.
Interesting find. I've just checked my sample(less than one year old) and it takes 15 seconds to get back to moonlight on an AW 14500, 3 to 5 sec. on eneloop! Hmmm....
I leave it set to "stun" so I hadn't really noticed. As soon as I'm done w/lower modes I usually twist the bezel back to max.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if these lights with a long reset time still have the pre-flash problem? If you are not familiar, many quarks give a brief bright flash when first turned on. Mine is a very early model. It does have a preflash, but always resets in under 5 seconds. Just wondering if the long reset might be related to fixing the preflash.

Up All Night

Enlightened
I'm wondering if these lights with a long reset time still have the pre-flash problem? If you are not familiar, many quarks give a brief bright flash when first turned on. Mine is a very early model. It does have a preflash, but always resets in under 5 seconds. Just wondering if the long reset might be related to fixing the preflash.
Mine has the pre-flash issue.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
I'm using a 14505 in my quark AA (3V - possibly comparable to the 4.2V 14500s?).

I do NOT have the preflash issues unless Im switching between high/low. From nothing to moonlight it will not preflash. On both the 3V and 1.5/1.2 AA batteries the modes will reset within 5 seconds.

edpmis02

Enlightened
I have an old XPE R2 version on an RCR123.. takes about 4-5 seconds to reset. Has a strong preflash.

(My 100th post and I am a "Flashaholic")

Last edited:

zenbeam

Enlightened
Speaking of the preflash, just thought I would note that I actually like it. It makes for a great manual strobe-like attention grabber by soft pumping the switch (repeatedly activating momentary on).

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just swapped the head with my AA2 X and now the light resets in 5 seconds like it should. Man that X head on a 14500 is a real pocket rocket. I think I just found my new EDC light.

Glad you did! We flashaholics run our Quark AA's with with X heads and 14500's :) Now if only we could do something with our excess AA2 tubes... LOLZ.

Last edited: