Solar spotlight needed to light 2x4 ft sign

passive101

Enlightened
*EDIT SIGN IS 2X6 FT* Sign is about 5ft off the ground

I'm looking for better solar spot lights than what is sold at Home Depot and Lowe's. I purchased the best one at my local Lowe's which is 30 lumens, but I have a 2x6ft business sign I want to light up. It's charging right now so tomorrow I'll know how bright it will be. I'd guess if it's throw is far enough I'd need at least 3-5 of them!

It's not ideal for solar as 1/2 the day will be shade, but my calculations it should be ok. I only need them to light the sign up for around 4 hours after dark and then I don't care if they stay on or not.

Where can I get some that are MUCH brighter then the crap on the shelf for 39.99? Money is also an issue so I don't want to spend more then 100 dollars per light if possible.

I'm open to any solutions out there. I can't run low voltage lights as there is no power on the side of the driveway my sign is on. Also It's not technically a flashlight per/say, but it's a solar light designed the same as a flashlight :)

Last edited:

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I PMed you a link to a source of sign lights. They had at least one that was 1880 lumens. Try googling "solar sign light".

passive101

Enlightened
I'm at their website, but I don't see any lumens posted to know how bright they are.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm at their website, but I don't see any lumens posted to know how bright they are.

Lumens might not tell you that anyway...as the way they are distributed is more of a factor in this case I think.

Are you lighting it from the inside, like a back-lit scenario, or, is the light shining onto a board or other type of flat sign?

If shining AT the sign...too much throw will glare, especially if the sign is shiny, etc.

A floody beam is typically better for that, etc.

passive101

Enlightened
I tried out the solar lights I picked up at Lowe's. The lower end one has no shot, and the 1.2W that is 39.99 is a single stake that goes into the ground. I took a photo of it tonight. It's not white enough and not bright enough. The speed limit on the road is 45MPH and I couldn't read it until I was right up on it. The sign is on wood and stands vertically.

The light I got spot and not a flood, but since the sign is only 2x6ft it covered most of it. It would be nicer to have more of a flood, but I would need it to be brighter, whiter, and a little wider.

IMG_20120612_212115.jpg

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Did you click the "More info" links for the various products? The amount of info varies; typically the little garden lights have the least information.

The commercial level products provide more information. For example, the "Solar Flood Light 336 LEDs" has a full page of info including the statement "336 ultra bright LEDs - 1880 Lumens.". There are others with fewer LEDs and lower lumens. Several of the products are rectangular arrays designed to evenly light a rectangular shape such as a sign.

passive101

Enlightened
I don't see a more info button on the one I posted. 1880 lumens would be way over kill for this sign and probably a driving hazard ;)

500-600 lumens I was told if I can believe their best case numbers. They said it should be more white then the last one. I think with building a post for this light as well as the solar cell it should work out great. I found the same model at Walmart for 47 dollars and a reviewer said it is the new 12 LED model. I'm thinking of jumping on this one.

Last edited:

JoeFresco

Newly Enlightened
So did you get it? What do you think?

I don't see a more info button on the one I posted. 1880 lumens would be way over kill for this sign and probably a driving hazard ;)

500-600 lumens I was told if I can believe their best case numbers. They said it should be more white then the last one. I think with building a post for this light as well as the solar cell it should work out great. I found the same model at Walmart for 47 dollars and a reviewer said it is the new 12 LED model. I'm thinking of jumping on this one.