Lumens per watt for Edison-socket style LED light bulbs

FloridaGuy

Newly Enlightened
I always find it interesting (and discouraging) to calculate the lumens per watt of the current crop of LED bulbs that are available from most big box stores these days. I find that they generally hover in the + or - 50 lumens per watt range. This is often no better than the CFLs on the market on the shelf right next to the LEDs (at a fraction of the price). I realize that the LED lights are often superior to CFLs in other ways but light efficiency is important to me. Now, I understand that they are not typically using the latest generation of LED emmiters in the consumer light bulbs, but my question is this. . . what do you figure the LPW figure would be on a drop in bulb replacement that used the latest XML emmiters (I'm assuming that that is the best out there), factoring in the inefficiency of conversion from AC to DC - I'm talking a replacement bulb for a Edison Socket replacement bulb.

Thanks for your thoughts.

FloridaGuy

Newly Enlightened
You might have better luck posting this question in the fixed lighting section.

Oh! I didn't realize that there was such a section! One more area to learn from! Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll cut and paste this thread over to there.