EagleTac D25A Clicky User Interface Question

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I have a question about the EagleTac D25A Clicky User Interface, as documented here.

There are 2 "Group 1" modes: Moonlight (on) and Moonlight (off).

Moonlight(on): Moon > Low > Med > ...
Moonlight(off): Low > Med > High > ...

My question is, why are there two modes for Group 1, as opposed to:

Group 1: Moon > Low > Med > High ...

It seems unnecessarily complicated to have the UI setup this way, instead of having all the Group 1 brightness levels in sequence. My Quark X AA2​ works this way and I like it.

Thanks,
KR

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big Quark AA fan and have been looking at this new EagleTac as it is one of the few AA lights out there with a long running moonlight mode. I really like that the UI buries most of the disco modes so you don't have to cycle through them, and actually, I think three modes to cycle is ideal. Also think moonlight is bit on the niche side and falls into a love-it-or-hate-it camp - they probably don't want to alienate the hate-it folks.

I don't think I like the mode spacing of D25 though... from what I can tell, it looks like (XML-OTF): 0.5/8/75/122 or 4/20/75/122, and especially think that the 75>122 step is kinda wasted as a 28% perceived increase. I like the Quark's spacing which seems to try for 4x increments, perceived as doubling brightness. I typically spend most of my time on "L/M/H" as 0.3/3/20 which unfortunately doesn't work well on this ET.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just another way of doing things, generally we see members either love or hate the moonlight mode but even if they hate it some want some type of low mode. To a lot of owners with a UI like the regular Quark AA they say moonlight mode is just in the way useless to them and it gets in the way of more useful modes.

So Eagletac came up with this UI and I guess it would solve a problem for a lot of members satisfying the two different "camps" on the love/hate moonlight mode, it is just to bad some of the other models don't have a real moonlight mode.