Duracoating a Flashlight?????

TheChrisWilliams

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried to duracoat there flashlight? I have seen some backwoods people do it on youtube but it look very hacked, and rushed has anyone on here tired it. If so how has it held up? I have more than a few lights that can use some sprucing up. My old Surefire 6p would look sick with a fresh coat of coyote brown. Also can anyone think of reasons to not do it????

archimedes

Flashaholic
Cerakote has become popular for flashlights over the past year or so ....

Durability appears to depend significantly on the quality of surface prep and application technique.

A search of the forums will turn up quite a few relevant threads :)

EDIT - I have not specifically seen DuraCoat used for lights, however.

Last edited:

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
I would use Brownells Aluma-Hyde II. It does take about 2 weeks to cure.

TheFraz

Enlightened
I used GunKote (which as I understand is similar to DuraCoat) on this light:

QTC1-1.jpg

I am very pleased with the results. The corners are gonna be the wear points.

gsr

Enlightened
The quality of any finish largely depends on the surface preperation. I've gotten good results with DuraCoat, and Brownell's AlumaHyde II, on firearms. I see no reason why they would not work equally well on a flashlight.

davyro

Enlightened
+1 on gsr's comment,i'm a painter & like all paint work the finish totally depends on the preparation.The best advice i could give regarding a flashlight would be to strip all of the original coating if possible,then apply a aluminum primer by spray can.
The instructions on the spray can would tell you how long to let the primer dry.Then apply a couple of coats by spray can again in the finish of your choice (a metal paint ofcourse).