Zebralight: Cool is Neutral and Neutral is Warm?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Hello,
I've had a Gen 2 SC600 (cool white) for a while now and love the creamy white color of that XML. This was the fourth Zebralight I've owned (all "cool" white) over the years and have always been impressed with how pure their white is. I know they wait for the best emitters and it shows.

Well... I just got a cool white H600 that was quite blue. This will be used outdoors entirely and I didn't like how cold the beam was. This is my first Zebralight that was cold in color and now I'm considering exchanging it for an H600W. My problem is I hate incandecent yellow lights, and don't want that color out of an LED. Is Zebralight's "neutral" actually neutral white? How far does it dip into the yellow?

tonkem

Enlightened
I just got a new SC600 that has a purple ring around it the outer part of the beam, and a slightly green tint on low. Not the best, but it is my son's light and he is more than happy with it. Replacing a Sunwayman M40a that he used :)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
my old sc51 definitely was a COOL white, not anywhere near neutral lol. their neutrals to me seem right on the dot for neutral. :)

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I just got a new SC600 that has a purple ring around it the outer part of the beam, and a slightly green tint on low. Not the best, but it is my son's light and he is more than happy with it. Replacing a Sunwayman M40a that he used :)

My cool-white SC600 has the same people ring on the outside (it's an XML thing), but the beam is perfectly creamy white!

I was hoping for the same thing from the H600, but it was tool cool. Illuminationgear was great about letting me exchange it for an H600w.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the most subjective topic on CPF in my opinion (tint,cri,etc.). I prefer neutral/high CRI lights in all settings, some don't like them, some like them outdoors, some like max lumens blue/cool white for throw, etc. There are emitters currently that have high CRI at a "daylight noon temperature" ~5000K, Zebralight H502d. I have found that while I like the high CRI versions and color temps from 4000-4500K, I still EDC a cool white light because it is the highest quality light I own (HDS cool white rotary). In my experience while the "w" versions might seem yellowish on white walls, in the outdoors and in real world use they perform wonderfully and you don't notice the "yellow" tint.