Why No 1 X AAA With Moon Mode

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
As far as I am able to determine, there are no multiple-mode 1 X AAA torches with a sub-lumen "moonlight" mode on the market except the ThruNite Ti. There are several multiple mode 1 X AA lights with this feature, but only the Ti in AAA.

Do any of you pros know (1) why this is the case and (2) are there any such lights on the drawing board?

ragweed

Enlightened
I would guess there is no big demand for moon mode. I have a Hypetac that puts out 3 lumens on low but. it apears much lower than that since its floody & on the warm side of the LED spectrum.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Ti had a .05 and 60 lumen model, they call it firefly mode
and
the Preon P0 has a .24 lumen and 25 lumen modes. Both well made and under $20 ;)

Your looking for more than two modes? That may be a challenge ;)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Essentially any Peak light with a QTC body (or just a QTC dropped into the end of the body tube) will give you sub-Firefly output with some quick twisting of the head. It's not as simple as twisting until it turns on like most twisty lights, but, those lights will not give you as much, up to the maximum of the light, or as little light as you want.

Jimbo75

Newly Enlightened
I have the two that CH mentioned and would like more choice than just twisty's.

To be perfectly honest with you, for the last year I have been checking in on CPF each day hoping that Zebralight will announce a smaller AAA light with all the same great features as the 51's...I think it's going to be a long wait...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd love more moonlight AAA lights... if anything needs ultra conservative modes, it's the AAA lights. My Preon Revo SS with a 1.5 lumen low will have to suffice until then.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the two that CH mentioned and would like more choice than just twisty's.

To be perfectly honest with you, for the last year I have been checking in on CPF each day hoping that Zebralight will announce a smaller AAA light with all the same great features as the 51's...I think it's going to be a long wait...
+1! I would love for Zebralight to take a try in the AAA market. I think they would offer up some pretty good competition considering how well regulated/efficient Zebralights are.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
if anything needs ultra conservative modes, it's the AAA lights.
I think the button cell lights can benefit the most:
2ce5c7fb.jpg

ThruNite Ti head on a brass 2 X LR44 body locked into Firefly only.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I wrote olight about this and asked them to add moonlight to the i3 that I love.

Jimbo75

Newly Enlightened
+1! I would love for Zebralight to take a try in the AAA market. I think they would offer up some pretty good competition considering how well regulated/efficient Zebralights are.

Exactly! And with an electronic switch on a AAA torch with 6-8 modes it would be in fairly exclusive territory. I know I would buy a couple....hello Mr Zebralight....anyone....:sigh:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
QTC has had some issues and the Thrunite does not have a good design IMO. I love the low modes, but I tend to use AAA formats only on my keys and I prefer simple 1 mode lights, like the Fenix E05.

Davis

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting a Thrunite Ti specifically for the .04 lumen mode as I've found that sometimes even 3 lumens is too bright. I'm also looking for other Moon Mode lights as well.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The LF2XT did, but it is sadly no longer in production. The MBI Torpedo will as previously mentioned.
Unfortunately the LF2XT doesn't go very low at all, and if it did I'd use it a lot more. Great light, but definitely not one to mention when it comes to really low levels.
I'm getting a Thrunite Ti specifically for the .04 lumen mode as I've found that sometimes even 3 lumens is too bright. I'm also looking for other Moon Mode lights as well.
With the .08 on my Clicky's being far to high on a regular basis in the winter I'm relieved to have a couple lights that will go even lower than the .04 on the Thrunite and my present leaders for super-low levels are one of my V10R Ti's and my TC-R1. I suspect that the V10R Ti is down around .01 or less and the TC-R1 is unmeasurable, as it can go so low as to make you think you're hallucinating.

DigitalZen

Newly Enlightened
foursevens.com's Preon PO is .25 lumens low, 25 high. Flood beam. Tiny, too= 2.2 x 0.5 in. Has magnet in base. $25 in stainless steel. It even has luminescent material where the reflector would be, so you can find it in the dark. 120 hrs on low, 2 hrs on high. Just got mine, and very pleased.

Last edited: