v11r problem? visually linear?

Gado

Newly Enlightened
Hi I just got a Sunwayman v11r and I thought for the entire range of the control ring that you should see a difference in output. For me anything past 60% on the control ring looks exactly the same. I'm using the AA extender and a brand new AW 14500, fully charged.
On my multi meter I am getting .02a on min, .25a at 25%, 1.57a at 50%, 1.78a at 60% 1.83a at 75%, 1.80a at 100%.

Is this normal?

cyclesport

Enlightened
Hi I just got a Sunwayman v11r and I thought for the entire range of the control ring that you should see a difference in output. For me anything past 60% on the control ring looks exactly the same. I'm using the AA extender and a brand new AW 14500, fully charged.
On my multi meter I am getting .02a on min, .25a at 25%, 1.57a at 50%, 1.78a at 60% 1.83a at 75%, 1.80a at 100%.

Is this normal?

Yes.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this is normal, i wouldnt be happy with it. the rotational range is 1/4 of a full turn only.
i would return the light, get over it and move on.

notsofast

Enlightened
The V11R I have is very linear and uses 3/4ths of the ring movement. In other words it constantly gets brighter until I have turned the ring 75% of its range where it doesn't appear to get any brighter. I find the 1/4th of the wasted turn not to be an issue. In my opinion it functions the way one expects such a design to.

aau007

Enlightened
do you have any imr battery to try? your measured current draw looks like the voltage level dropped to a point that the light was not getting brighter passed 70%.

Last edited:

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
I believe that the first half or 3/4 of the light is set up to be noticeable to the human eye in terms of output being linear. Supposedly after a certain amount the human eye cannot detect it.

Well at least that's what I've heard about it.

Gado

Newly Enlightened
You mean RRT-01 ?
This with the AA extender http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/rrt0.html
The V11R I have is very linear and uses 3/4ths of the ring movement. In other words it constantly gets brighter until I have turned the ring 75% of its range where it doesn't appear to get any brighter. I find the 1/4th of the wasted turn not to be an issue. In my opinion it functions the way one expects such a design to.
Thats how mine works, I was under the impression that they designed the control ring so that you can see the difference throughout the entire range of the ring.
do you have any imr battery to try? your measured current draw looks like the voltage level dropped to a point that the light was not getting brighter passed 70%.
I don't have any IMR batteries to try.
I re charged the battery and retested the current: 1.59a at 50%, 1.89a at 60%, 1.96a at 75%, 1.94 at 100%
I believe that the first half or 3/4 of the light is set up to be noticeable to the human eye in terms of output being linear. Supposedly after a certain amount the human eye cannot detect it.

Well at least that's what I've heard about it.
Seems like an odd setup, why go past 3/4ths if you can't see a difference and all you do is draw more current and create more heat?

Thanks for the input guys

aau007

Enlightened
Try retesting the current from max down with a freshly charged battery. It is also better to test if you have a watt meter so you can also see the battery voltage at the same time. Otherwise, do a voltage test at high. If your battery voltage falls down to 3.6v or below at high, that's what you are going to get with that light and battery.

I have an Ultrafire 16340 to test with my Ti2 and I could not get it to hold more than 1.8A at 3.6V at max setting for more than 30 seconds. AW should be a little better but when I use IMR, I was getting over 2.1A at over 3.8V to start.

okwchin

Newly Enlightened
Also, the last part of the ring appears to max out with brightness, however the 'rate' of soft-start decreases toward instant-on. So with mine, I think of it as 3/4 movement for brightness, and the last 1/4 is for selecting soft start --> Instant-on.

I used to think of it as a defficiency in control, however thinking of it this way allows me to see it as a "feature", and I do use it when im after a softer start.

*another point of view* (using AW 16340s, and pulled 18650s. The 18650s are no where near as current limited as the torch runs HOT!)