SUNWAYMAN T40CS

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
I want to buy for me the Sunwayman T40CS but I have several questions:
1.is the flashlight has really 788 ANSI lumens? or is it Manufacturer rated lumens? and also the beam distance-is it ANSI FL1 standarts? or Manufacturer rated?
2.is the flashlight have built in over-discharge cut off,as the Fenix TK35? Is the flashlight turn off automatically when the 18650 battery over-discharge?
3.I know that a new version of the T40CS going to be available, the XML-U2 version which has 50 lumens more than the current XML-T6 version. is there any reason to buy the old emitter (XML-T6) version?
4.can the T40CS to be used with 2 XTAR 18650 3100MAH protected batteries? is the batteries size fit to use in the T40CS?
(the size of this batteries is: 18.4±0.1mm x 68.5±0.5mm)
thanks advance and have a nice day...

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Sunwayman uses ANSI FL1 standards for their relevant specs and tends to be a little conservate w/the lumens ratings. For my particular sample (older T6 model), I measured 814lms. However, with that said, the max beam intensity I measured physically at 1m was 46.9K which translates into 433m throw distance and is short of the 500m they have claimed (it could be better at longer distance which I'll remeasure in the future).
2. Based on my runtime testing on IMR's, one cell was discharged as low as 2.67V so no, there isn't a low voltage cut-off. Best to stick w/protected cells and to not overdischarge them regardless.
3. No
4. I do not have XTAR's 3100's but do have the 2600's which are slightly longer and measure 18.4 x 69.3 and they fit without any issues.

Here are some older long distance (565') underpass shots vs. a few other lights:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?323966

More recent ones at the beach (500') and campsite:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?338925

And video covering throw out to 75m (T40CS @ 3:08) and a few other XM-L lights:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?337887

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

tubed

Enlightened
thanks for that info turboBB. I too am looking to buy this light (see my post lower down). My battery question is this> I plan to use 4 cr123s. I am new to all these battery issues. Is the problem with letting batteries run down that it hurts the light or the battery? If I let a bunch of cr123 (not rechargables) run down, will that hurt the light? do you think i'll get different operation (lumens, throw, life) with cr123s than with 18650s?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running down the batteries hurts the batteries (especially if rechargeables) and not the light. If using primaries, just make sure they are all the same brand / condition (strongly recommend that they be from a reputable manufacturer) since you wouldn't want the cells to become unbalanced which can create a very dangerous condition.

I don't think output/throw will be any different but runtime will likely be shorter than on two 18650's of 2600mAh or higher capacity.

The math works out as follows:

Typical CR123A's are about 1300mAh (1.3Ah) so 3V x 4 cells = 12V. Then you take that and multiply by 1.3Ah to get 15.6Wh

With 18650's (2.6Ah) and using nom. voltage of 3.7V x 2 cells =7.4V. Multiplied by 2.6Ah to get 19.24Wh (this will only be more if you use higher capacity cells).

Why I say likely is becuase this is all paper calculations as I've not graphed primaries and am uncertain what the buck/boost driver will actually do depending on the voltage range in order to maintain regulation. I have however graphed various 18650's so you can check the runtime chart in my review for details.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Hey everyone,
I want to buy for me the Sunwayman T40CS but I have several questions:
1.is the flashlight has really 788 ANSI lumens? or is it Manufacturer rated lumens? and also the beam distance-is it ANSI FL1 standarts? or Manufacturer rated?
2.is the flashlight have built in over-discharge cut off,as the Fenix TK35? Is the flashlight turn off automatically when the 18650 battery over-discharge?
3.I know that a new version of the T40CS going to be available, the XML-U2 version which has 50 lumens more than the current XML-T6 version. is there any reason to buy the old emitter (XML-T6) version?
4.can the T40CS to be used with 2 XTAR 18650 3100MAH protected batteries? is the batteries size fit to use in the T40CS?
(the size of this batteries is: 18.4±0.1mm x 68.5±0.5mm)
thanks advance and have a nice day...

the xml u2 version is out already I own it this is the third time ive posted this in a week lol, mine will fit 2 eagletac 3100 batteries no problem and it is easily reaching the claimed lumens of 845 if not more

tubed

Enlightened
Running down the batteries hurts the batteries (especially if rechargeables) and not the light. .......
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim,
thanks a lot for that. It clears up some fuzzy spots for me. I plan on using my long thrower only occasionally for short bursts and so will likely go with cr123s.
From one (ex)Jersey boy to another.

MT7

Newly Enlightened
HA,thank you all.
but another question.are there any optional Collimator (aspheric) head for the Sunwayman T40CS? like the optional Collimator (aspheric) head of the Crelant 7G5V2 (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...8650)-Thrower-Review-RUNTIMES-VIDEO-BEAMSHOTS)
thanks advance...

is somebody know?
is there any optional Collimator (aspheric) head for the Sunwayman T40CS,something like the aspheric head of the Crelant 7G5V2,which you can install on the flashlight and than it will focus the light beam to maximize the throw?
thanks advance.