Wuben        
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Aircraft

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Secret Aircraft

our collective observations seem to be correct. Source: Kopp-Verlag website. The hypothesis of multiple orbital changes has been confirmed by amateur observers. During the first flight (OTV-1) of the X37, it started out from an orbit of 400KM and made multiple orbit changes, step by step. The observers lost track of it for several days. They found it when the X37 was down to a level of 282KM or so and traveling over Australia with a velocity of 7.38KM/second! However on 9 August 2010 the X37 fired it's rocket to climb to a higher orbit. Orbit observations indicate that the X37 flies over the same multiple points on the earth every 2 to 4 days. Another X37 is being built.

My comment to the above is - all this for repeat observations of objects/sites on Earth? Yes, initially a satellite or two could be inserted in to some specific orbit in the course of multi-spectral photography. However I still believe that photographing other satellites is one of the missions of these flights.

However on another topic - this looks like the LM RQ-170 Sentinel. and being prep'd for a night mission. but at which base?

Edit: could not paste the image. see the link above.
    Last edited by moldyoldy; 12-18-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Did you guys read about those NRO surveillance satellites being given to NASA? They are 10 years old and apparently higher tech than the stuff NASA is making using now...

X-47B land based catapult launch.
    The X-47B is designed to demonstrate new technology, such as fully automated takeoffs, landings and refueling and has a fully capable weapons bay with a payload capacity of 4,500 pounds.

Declassified this weekend: An entire flight manual for the U2 spy plane. A remarkably thorough and complete book which even includes data on the surveillance equipment, something which has not yet been released for the SR-71.

Default Secret Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by ToyTank View Post
    Did you guys read about those NRO surveillance satellites being given to NASA? They are 10 years old and apparently higher tech than the stuff NASA is making using now...
    Whats NRO?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by firelord777 View Post
    Whats NRO?
    National Reconnaissance Office that is in charge of all recon satellites.

http://www.nro.gov/

I am still amazed at what is published on some of these orgs.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Declassified this weekend: An entire flight manual for the U2 spy plane. A remarkably thorough and complete book which even includes data on the surveillance equipment, something which has not yet been released for the SR-71.
    Just in case, here is the SR-71 flight manual. However, the interesting sections are not present, still classified.............

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/

Speaking of secret aircraft, last week in Pismo Beach in the morning, I was inside the house when it started to "sound" like an earthquake. The same identical noise a house and the earth itself sound in so make quakes I've witnessed. Something like you might hear is a 5.0 to 5.5. I then stood perfectly still so I could feel the quake but to my surprise, there was absolutely no movement. The noise continued for about 7-10 seconds. It must have been at a low frequency because I could "feel" the noise inside me. About 10 minutes later, the same thing and twice more before the half hour was up. The next day on the news, it was explained away as a "sonic boom" from an F22 out at sea. It was an "unusual one" because of special "atmospheric conditions". Yeah, sure and if I believed that, I'd be buying prime development land in the Florida Everglades. Sonic booms are pretty recognizable, even the Shuttle with it's double but distinctive, short booms. This sound progressively rose, was sustained for the 7-10 seconds and then ramped back down. I'd suspect some type of sonic weapons test.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Speaking of secret aircraft, last week in Pismo Beach in the morning, I was inside the house when it started to "sound" like an earthquake. The same identical noise a house and the earth itself sound in so make quakes I've witnessed. Something like you might hear is a 5.0 to 5.5. I then stood perfectly still so I could feel the quake but to my surprise, there was absolutely no movement. The noise continued for about 7-10 seconds. It must have been at a low frequency because I could "feel" the noise inside me. About 10 minutes later, the same thing and twice more before the half hour was up. The next day on the news, it was explained away as a "sonic boom" from an F22 out at sea. It was an "unusual one" because of special "atmospheric conditions". Yeah, sure and if I believed that, I'd be buying prime development land in the Florida Everglades. Sonic booms are pretty recognizable, even the Shuttle with it's double but distinctive, short booms. This sound progressively rose, was sustained for the 7-10 seconds and then ramped back down. I'd suspect some type of sonic weapons test.
    Well, the source and timing of the sound could also be from the overflight time for a flight vehicle moving rather quickly. ie: Draw a short line from Area 51 past Bakersfield over Pismo Beach and out over the ocean and away from ears and eyes... "Pumpkin Seed" and other such rumors come to mind. The "Aurora" it probably was not - not a pulse jet sound.

Not exactly *secret* . . . .

Today's news showed a " Blimp / Airship " type flying craft (filled with Helium)

called the AerosCraft .

While we don't know much about the military Stealth Blimps,

this is something we CAN relate to.

http://www.aeroscraft.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Not exactly *secret* . . . .

Today's news showed a " Blimp / Airship " type flying craft (filled with Helium)

called the AerosCraft .

While we don't know much about the military Stealth Blimps,

this is something we CAN relate to.

http://www.aeroscraft.com/
    Interesting - some of those photos of the airship appear to have been taken in the Tillamook blimp hangar - which I recall is one of the largest wooden structures in the world. I've visited twice - once when I was a very young kid in the 1980's before the destruction of one of the hangars (I recall that a company was working on airships way back then) and the air museum, once a few years back during a west coast vacation.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Default Secret Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    National Reconnaissance Office that is in charge of all recon satellites.

http://www.nro.gov/

I am still amazed at what is published on some of these orgs.
    Thanks man!

One of the problems inherent in a thread about secret aircraft is that if said aircraft are in fact secret, we would not be able to discuss them other than to speculate. At best we can talk about the "secret" aircraft that are just now coming into public awareness but that have been in development for quite some time now or ones we've known about for a long time. Of course, that is where there can be something interesting to consider. I remember one of the things that most astonished me about the SR-71 Blackbird was that it had already been in service since the 1960s before any of us had even heard of it many years later.

Lately, I've been thinking about the amazing rise of unmanned drones (UAVs) and wondering what is really out there today in actual deployment that we don't even know about or that are just beginning to creep into public awareness. In fact, it is scary to think about just what society will be like say, ten or 15 years from now when a wide variety of drones with unimaginable capabilities will be ubiquitous. I've been thinking that unmanned drones could make for an interesting thread topic in itself but for the time being I will post about it here since I am talking about cutting edge or speculative flying devices. Drones will be everywhere, not just in the sky and some form of the technology will eventually be in our hands as well in governments, as is the case even now on a rudimentary level. The question really, is just how weird is this unmanned drone thing gonna get? One thing for sure, they are going to get very tiny! And these tiny drones will take many forms like snakes, birds, crawling bugs etc., but of course, this is a thread about aircraft, so we'll stick with that for now. One thing we know, things will certainly get interesting.

So, this post was prompted by the fact that I've been thinking of this subject lately, like I've said, but also that I just learned of The Black Hornet Nano Unmanned Air Vehicle which is currently being used by British forces in Afghanistan. It is a fairly standard surveillance drone, only it measures around 4 inches by 1 inch and weighs about 16 grams. Oh, and it costs around $125,000 for a single unit with portable base station. I definitely want one but I think I'm going to have to wait for awhile, at least until I can buy one from DX for around 30 bucks! (Actually, you can already buy stuff like this now but the range is quite limited, and they really just amount to being fancy toys. Still, there are drones available that can be controlled and viewed on an iPhone, including some GPS mapping functions but certainly not with the speed, agility, range, data transmission density, programmability, durability or other capabilities of the Black Hornet.)

Black Hornet UAV Specs
    • Rotor Span 120 mm, Mass 16 gr including Camera
    • Maximum Speed 10 m/s, Endurance up to 25 minutes
    • Digital Data Link, Range 1000 m Line-of-Sight
    • GPS Navigation or Visual Navigation through Video
    • Autopilot with Autonomous and Directed Modes
    • Hover & Stare, Automatic Search Patterns, Preplanned Routes Sensors
    • Steerable EO Camera (pan/tilt)
    • Live Video and Snapshot Images

Base Station
    • Mission Planning, Execution and Analyses
    • Display connections, Functions and System Controls
    • Storage of Mission Data including Video and Images
    • Connections to PC, Network and other Peripherals
    • UAVs housed inside for Protection and Support

And how about a drone that looks, acts and sounds like an actual mosquito and can "bite" you to extract DNA after it's flown through your window?
    "It can be controlled from a great distance and is equipped with a camera, microphone and can land on you, and use it’s needle to take a DNA sample with the pain of a mosquito bite."

There is also a similar type of nano drone allegedly under development that will inject a lethal dose of poison into a victim (excuse me...an enemy combatant) rather than extract DNA. The idea is to have the capability to take out a terrorist or other individual with a precision that makes armed Predator drones look downright clumsy by today's standards and that can completely avoid collateral damage or the killing of innocent civilians.

Here is a photo of one.........and a blog post about it.

Some others:

Oh, by the way, speaking of technology we never knew about, the CIA has been working on insect-like drones since the 1970's such as this "Insectothopter".

Last edited by EZO; 02-08-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: added material

I would expect that insects will be fully backwards engineered on a genetic level for tomorrows UAVs. Stock up on Black Flag...

It may be awhile yet before insects are "fully" genetically backwards engineered for military purposes but they are already being turned into controllable "bionic cyborgs" using neural implants and other "enhancements".

see: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/di...00-terrifying/

also: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...ce_video_.html

Last edited by EZO; 02-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Very Interesting Thread !

Thank you to ALL for your contributions and comments.

I expect the domestic use of drones by military, law enforcement, and intelligence agencies to become an increasingly contentious issue in coming years due to their increasing intelligence, shrinking size, decreasing cost, and the willingness of their producers to promote them to anyone in government that will listen.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I'm surprised there wasn't drone coverage at the recent CES; I wouldn't really be surprised to see a quadrotor going overhead at an electronics gathering..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I'm surprised there wasn't drone coverage at the recent CES; I wouldn't really be surprised to see a quadrotor going overhead at an electronics gathering..
    Suspect that some of the R/C segment was well-represented ... the more frightening autonomous stuff isn't quite so consumer-oriented.

A thermoelectric energy harvester on a cold-blooded bug? Their muscles generate heat, but not much... Although I can't think of many better ways to get a few microamps for free. I'm surprised they don't consider consuming bug blood sugar.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Some more examples of insectoid drones:

that's very impressive stuff! Sure beats sticking your head over a wall to see if the enemy sniper is still there.

I've known for a long time that miniature remote control helicopters are available but since learning of the Black Hornet copter I've become aware that there are entire websites and hobby groups dedicated to these things. Of course, now that I think about it, how could there not be? In any case, there are a lot of tiny FPV cameras available that are sold for these little helicopters and quadrotors and I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to mimic some of the capabilities of a Black Hornet on a simple level including wireless remote video and even automated "return to base" functions. For example, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Raspberry pi put to use soon in a home made mini spy copter now that they include H.264 video capabilities. My point here, is that if these types of highly sophisticated miniaturized drones are being deployed in combat zones and featured in news articles I wonder what is out there that we don't know about yet? It is interesting to ponder. Perhaps unique sensors and other ultra-miniaturized capabilities or even weapons. Sure beats an old fashioned periscope, in any event.

It is fascinating how consumer technology is being incorporated into military use and military technology is making its way into consumer products. The time for these things to converge seems a lot shorter than it used to be. I understand that an iPhone was used to photograph the face of the just killed Bin Laden and that photo was immediately networked wirelessly back to Langley and the White House. It could just as well have been posted to Facebook, although probably not on the secure satellite up-link. I see that the Black Hornet's specs include networking capabilities, so video shot from these little copters can do the same thing in real time.

Going a little off topic here, I love the soldier's accent in the video and his thoroughly up to the minute military garb. I wonder though, about the wisdom of wearing a fluffy red and white feather on your head in a combat zone when your uniform and everything else around you, including the tablecloth is camo?
    Last edited by EZO; 02-14-2013 at 12:46 PM.

This is a very interesting thread, but as I read the posts I have one concern that tempers my enthusiasm for the technological wonders described. It's not a concern about privacy being somehow breached in the US, as there aren't many situations in which one can reasonably expect privacy while outside of one's home. The concern I have is that it does not take very long for armed terrorists to begin to use our new technologies against us to kill unarmed civilians. As we develop these cool new surveillance capabilities, we will have to simultaneously develop defenses against their use, or we will soon suffer terribly from the technology we find so exciting today.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

The police anticipate a STUNNING number of video-capable drones to be used in America soon.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Some of these tiny UAVs reveal an astonishing dexterity. The video linked to below was a real shocker the first time I saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nHWvND-8qQ

Nowhere to hide...

Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    This is a very interesting thread, but as I read the posts I have one concern that tempers my enthusiasm for the technological wonders described. It's not a concern about privacy being somehow breached in the US, as there aren't many situations in which one can reasonably expect privacy while outside of one's home. The concern I have is that it does not take very long for armed terrorists to begin to use our new technologies against us to kill unarmed civilians. As we develop these cool new surveillance capabilities, we will have to simultaneously develop defenses against their use, or we will soon suffer terribly from the technology we find so exciting today.
    It has always been the case that one form or another of weaponry or surveillance technology gets turned back against itself. Google Earth and satellite mapping is a recent example of "look down from above" technology that is open to everyone world wide and in fact, certain sensitive locations have been obscured but anyone could use the technology to gain information to plan an attack. Unmanned drones can be used by anyone as well and they are being developed and deployed all over the world. Nevertheless, this has been going on for a long, long time now, beginning with the first demonstration of the first hot air balloons in France in 1783, an invention which began to be militarized for surveillance almost immediately. The same concerns were expressed back then as you express in your post and they were at least as valid then as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    The police anticipate a STUNNING number of video-capable drones to be used in America soon.
    I foresee a renewed interest in handheld electronic "disruptors" capable of frying solid-state electronics by generating a focused pulse.

Banned

I beat you to it one or two pages ago :-)

Semiman

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast