Mag Light Conversion

Outback Joe

Newly Enlightened
I want to convert a Mag Light 3D to a high output long distance thrower. If you were thinking about doing something like this what would you use as new internals on this type of project. I am also on a budget of $100.00 for this one. I have a small lathe and mill available to modify the Mag Light and make any small parts needed. I would like to use one of the Lithium Polymer batteries that I have on hand that range in voltage from 3.7 to 14.8 volts and from 250mAh to 4000mAh.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Joe C.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to convert a Mag Light 3D to a high output long distance thrower. If you were thinking about doing something like this what would you use as new internals on this type of project. I am also on a budget of $100.00 for this one. I have a small lathe and mill available to modify the Mag Light and make any small parts needed. I would like to use one of the Lithium Polymer batteries that I have on hand that range in voltage from 3.7 to 14.8 volts and from 250mAh to 4000mAh.
Regarding the batteries, it's been my experience that it's quite hard to fit Li-poly batteries in a round flashlight with any sort of packing efficiency -- something about "square peg, round hole", and the difficulty of finding Li-polys in sizes that stack well (e.g. Mag ID is ~32mm, so about 22mmx23mm and as long as possible fills the most space available, but most Li-poly cells I've found stop at 32mm or so wide, and just get thinner and shorter until you get down to ridiculously low capacities.)

Maybe you've got something that'll fit just right (if so, share where you got it!), but in my experience, the best choice will probably be cylindrical Li-ion, in either 26650, 26700, or 32600 sizes. You can fit 3 of any of these in a 3D Mag.

Beyond that, it does depend on what you mean, as JacobJones said. If you could give us some definite numbers... ;)

Last edited: