Newbie with simple question (I think)

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
OK, I purchased an Everled pr-flange bulb. The intended host is a Sears Craftsman rechargable lantern. The lantern has a six volt sealed battery. I read on an old post where the Everled can be ruined by reverse polarity. So before installing it I checked. Sure enough, the negative post on the battery leads to the tail of the bulb. To correct this, I simply reveresed the wires on the battery terminals. So now the question. Since reversing the wires on the battery terminals, shouldn't I reverse the wires on the recharger plug also? I can do this simply by cutting the wires at the plug where it plugs into the light and rewiring them backwards. It seems logical that this would need to be done. Thanks for your help.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take you multimeter and trace the wires from the recharging plug and the battery.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need to 'reverse things an even number of times' somehow. If you cannot reverse the connections at the charging jack, then I bet you do need to modify the chager cord. Best if you can make the rest of the mod internal to the light only, IMO.

Doug Owen

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If the lantern has circuitry inside it for charging (a "smart charger" like the Vector 7 does), reversing the battery terminals will probably cause the circuit to give up its supply of magic smoke. At very minimum, the battery would no longer charge.

Best thing to do is to leave the battery terminals in the correct position, and reverse the polarity of the lamp receptacle itself. This will give you correct polarity for the EverLED, and leave the charging circuitry alone.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Empath,
Sorry for the cross post. I posted in the general forum before realizing this really needed to go here.

LED Museum,
Yes the light has a circuit board in it, no doubt for controling the charging. After reversing the battery terminals I also noticed the LED charge level indicator no longer functioned. I put the battery terminals back correct and reinstalled the incandescent bulb and everything still worked correctly. I hadn't attempted to charge it with the battery terminals reversed, was not brave enough to try, lol! Anyway reversing the leads to the bulb seat took a little surgery, but it works with the Everled now and also charges. Great call, thanks for the help! Let me say that a teal Everled on 6v in a 6 inch polished reflector is interesting. I ran it for three hours with no detectable drop in brightness. The krypton bulb would noticably started to dim after an hour and 30 minutes and brightness would drop off the end of the table after 2 hours.