Surefire L4 Team Soldier Edition (GOT IT!)

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened
Just found what must be a new old stock 5 watt L4 on sale, but it is the Team Soldier Edition? I've never heard of that, can someone explain what that is? I'm a flood fanatic and Surefire addict, does anyone have a recommendation for something that does the "wall of light" as well as the L4 and is no bigger (smaller even if possible). Thanks everyone, I love this forum! (my wallet does not).

SurefireL4.jpg

SurefireL4v.jpg

Surefire2.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire L4 Team Soldier Edition

Just found what must be a new old stock 5 watt L4 on sale, but it is the Team Soldier Edition? I've never heard of that, can someone explain what that is? I'm a flood fanatic and Surefire addict, does anyone have a recommendation for something that does the "wall of light" as well as the L4 and is no bigger (smaller even if possible). Thanks everyone, I love this forum! (my wallet does not).

There were a few limited edition SureFire flashlights which were labeled with the "Team Soldier" markings. To avoid posting quasi-commercial/marketing links here, feel free to PM me, and I'll provide you some more info on this program :)

Essentially, these are functionally the same lights as the "normal" editions, just with specially-labeled battery tubes. SureFire has done quite a few different limited runs of this sort over the years (such as for Strider, NRA, etc) and usually they are the same lights other than the markings. Occasionally though, the light is significantly different than the usual model (like with the single-level Viking Tactics SureFire VTAC).

For small floody lights, if you plan to stick to SureFire, the original L4 is definitely what you want. If you are open to other brands, there are lots of options, including everything from P60 triple or quad drop-ins (or Moddoolar Pocket), to custom titanium McGizmo Mules ....

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic

Unlike the old days when everything a soldier carries is GI, nowadays theres alot of gear and accessories that are purchased by the individual through the commercial market, Team Soldier is essentially a certification that the army uses to sanction commercial products. that run of L4s just happened to be what "Team Soldier" had ordered up and likely had overstock.

May I ask where did you find these old L4s? If the price is fair I might pick up a few more, new surefire designs rub me the wrong way

EDIT: your photography looks amazing!
:eek:oo: :kewlpics: :bow:

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unlike the old days when everything a soldier carries is GI, nowadays theres alot of gear and accessories that are purchased by the individual through the commercial market, Team Soldier is essentially a certification that the army uses to sanction commercial products. that run of L4s just happened to be what "Team Soldier" had ordered up and likely had overstock.

May I ask where did you find these old L4s? If the price is fair I might pick up a few more, new surefire designs rub me the wrong way

same here, i'd love to know!

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

I found it at optics planet, they have them on sale. I'd like to know if you guys get yours, I'm kind of skeptical if they really are in stock or if they have the 120 lumen new ones and are just mistaken. I really want the classic wall of light model that got me started in this whole flashaholic game a few years back.

Darksides

Newly Enlightened

i purchased a similar Surefire from OP and i quickly received an email a week later it was on back order. It wasn't ,it was discontinued and they insisted the item would be in stock 4-6 weeks and the item remained for sale as if it was in stock. I did get a refund. And the item has yet to be in stock and wont..

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

Bummer! Thanks for the tip. Seems pretty common with some of the web vendors I've noticed, i'll find a classic and have every reason to think its in stock and then get an email saying they have to order it (but me knowing item is long gone). Oh well, I'll find an L4 eventually ;-)

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, want the classic, hot running, low efficiency, battery eating older 100 lumen model.

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

I just contacted Optics Planet and the operator assured me it was in stock and my order was approved? I guess I shall wait and see, as backup I have a guy on here possibly selling one so hopefully I will get my hands on one either way. CPF rocks!

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

If both of those fall through, shoot me a PM... I have an older version L4 that is in really good shape I never use I can send your way. I have a couple of L2s as well.

Illum

Flashaholic

Yeah, want the classic, hot running, low efficiency, battery eating older 100 lumen model.

Mind you... they work well with 17670s and doubles as a handwarmer on cold days :)
Only problem with LuxVs is the luxeon lottery ;)
In the old days luxeons come in different shades, some green :green:, some purple :(, some blue :shakehead, and on occasion a white will come along:kiss:, but few. It took me three L4s before I found a matching pair. :ohgeez:

shane45_1911

Enlightened

You would need an E2e head to house the Veleno module.

OMG - my whole day has been one big brain fart!!!! I don't know why, but I kept thinking E2e the whole time I was reading this post about the L4.

My mistake and of course a Veleno won't drop into an L4.

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

I do in fact have an E2E and have checked out the Veleno modules at Lighthound. The warm 3 mode one is out of stock unfortunately. If you're are saying I could get the killer wall of light flood beam like the OG L4 I would tend to get pretty excited about the prospect! In true flashaholic fashion I will surely get both...

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

Not going to get too excited yet, but my order has been shipped from OpticsPlanet... we shall see if it is in fact the old school L4 (and the Team Soldier Edition at that!)

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

First, the good news: I got the light! And then the bad...It is a 120 lumen version. Aaaaaahh! Crazy since I specifically asked the customer service rep to double check it for me (they did, twice). Oh well, add it to the collection I suppose since it is kinda unique. Can't say it is quite the "wall of light" I remember, but it is bright, looks amazing and runs longer/cooler. Still going to hunt down a L4 5 watt at some point soon I hope (funds willing).

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like it has the same LED as the p60L that I use in a C3. Very similar beam as well, good hot spot with some spill. Still not as floody as I remember from the old one. Might have to bust out some diffusion film...