Mag-mod: Big head for a little price

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
The crown jewel in my thrower collection is a Mag 2D refitted with the head from the Gordon 109 LED light and the 73mm SST-90 SMO reflector from DX, shown here. To bridge the gap in my collection between that light and so many XML in Mag Rebel reflector lights and xxxxFire hosts with similar beam profiles, I decided it was time to update one of my favorite go-to lights.

The light that I've re-modded here is a two-mode Mag 3C that powers a 4500K XM-L from NiMH C cells. Although it was perfect the way it was, it was the perfect host for testing out this mod that would insert it between the super thrower mentioned above and everything else.

Ingredients for the mod:
  • Gordon 95LED 3D cell light (just part of it)
  • KD 65mm SMO SST-90 reflector
  • 73mm lens from flashlightlens.com

Basically, I cut apart the Gordon head to make bigger bezel for the Maglite head. I also cut the maglite bezel in half, top-to-bottom. The top half of the Mag bezel is discarded and the bottom half is used inside to secure the top half of the Gordon head to the bottom part of the Mag head. Pics tell it better:

Here it is with the other LED lights in my "big head" collection (on the right). The other two are the XM-L super thrower and an SST-90 in Throwmaster:
Thebigheadclub.jpg

Fully assembled. You can see that I cut off the very bottom of the reflector to allow it to focus properly above the screws of the XM-L 20mm star:
3Cw65mmSMOangleview.jpg

The new face view:
3c65mmSMOfaceview.jpg

The before shot:
beautyshot.jpg

Here's the original next to one of my reasons for modding this light - yet another XM-L in Rebel reflector, a 1C cutdown:
MagCssidebyside.jpg

This is how the old head was locked into place for perfect focus:
focuslock.jpg

This is the old face shot with the Mag Rebel reflector:
perfectfocusRebelXML-near.jpg

las3r

Enlightened
awesome build im working on one using the Gordon 109 LED head with 4 aspheric lenses