Flood vs. Throw

slickseal

Newly Enlightened
Im trying to find my first light, and I was thinking I needed a throwy light because i want to see out to about 100-150 yards. But I still want to have the capability to use it at closer range ( possibly multiple brightness settings?). Am I wrong? Can a light designed with a wider beam reach that far? Does it depend on lumens or what?
Any clarification would be awesome!!!:)

P.S- AA vs. CR123A. any noticeable performance difference?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Im trying to find my first light, and I was thinking I needed a throwy light because i want to see out to about 100-150 yards. But I still want to have the capability to use it at closer range ( possibly multiple brightness settings?). Am I wrong? Can a light designed with a wider beam reach that far? Does it depend on lumens or what?
Any clarification would be awesome!!!:)

P.S- AA vs. CR123A. any noticeable performance difference?

OK, good questions!

Throw requires either a lot of lumens, or, concentration of the lumens you have into a smaller area.

So, a floody light with 150 yards range is a big lumen monster....depending upon what you need to SEE at 150 yards, and, how much area you need to cover at close range, and at 150 yards, etc.

So, after that set of concepts, its all a matter of degree.

Just think of the lumens as the gallons per minute coming out of your hose....and the deeper the water ON what you are spraying....the more LUX.

The next concept is beam SHAPE. Choosing a light really needs to start with beam shape, not lumens.

After beam shape, you need to know a rough guess as to what LUX you want on what you're looking AT.

LUX is what you SEE when the light hits your target and bounces back to your eyes.

So, if you just need to not bump into things close up, a fraction of a Lux is ok after your eyes are adjusted to the dark...like waking up in your tent and wanting to get to the latrine at 3 am.

An average night, from the moon and starlight, etc, you might be given ~ 0.25 lux.

If you can see at night w/o a flashlight for example...well, then you might not need a light at all on an average night such as used in the reference.

If you want more light than that, say to read a sign further away...or to see if that's a dog or a wolf following you down a dark trail...you need more light.

Here's a chart that lists examples of Lux by types of tasks:

7178526350_e987a9003b_z.jpg

So, if your task requires a level of detail that corresponds to a similar task above, consider that a similar lux value might work.

Also consider that (Not shown in chart...I need to make one for that still....) as what you need to see gets further away, the part of your vision that you need to use to resolve it, requires more light than you need for close tasks.

The fovea, essentially, your central field of view in a ~ 2º cone from your eye...is not very good at seeing in the dark. It has the poorest light reception in your total field of view....and needs a lot more light to see things.

If you are looking at a critter 150 yards away trying to tell if its a rabid racoon or a twicky rabbit - you are using your central and sharpest part of your vision.

OK, so, if your light has only 100 lumens, it CAN hit a target that far away..but, with all 100 lumens concentrated into a small circle of light.

That same light will put an even SMALLER circle of light on the ground in front of you, so it would be terrible for talking a hike where you didn't want to step on a snake of trip over a root...the light bean is so small that you are trying to see where you are going through a paper towel tube type view.

If you have 2,000 lumens, you don't NEED to concentrate them into a teeny patch of light....you can spread them out. You can have a wider beam shape. That means no more paper towel tube view...you see a lot at a time.

Of course, it might STILL reach out 150 yards, but, depending on HOW spread out the beam is, the target might look brighter, or, dimmer.

Again, its a question of degree.

So, there are throwy lights, and floody lights, but, those terms in of themselves are not always going to tell you what you wanted to know.

For example, I have some floody lights that can throw over 300 yards, and some throwy lights that can't.

I have an 300 lumen thrower that can hit targets ~800 yards away, and a 850 lumen thrower that can't.

There are other factors...spill for example. Most light's produce a beam with 3 parts, a central hot spot, a corona that surrounds it, with a somewhat less bright donut of light....and spill, a generally unfocused field of light that is shaped by the shape of the light's head.

If a throw light has decent spill, it can ACT like a floody light's beam for walking around, providing enough light to see where you're going, even though the main beam is pointed hundreds of yards away.

And

If you are asking about AA vs CR123A - well, neither will give a good account of themselves at 150 yards if ONE of them is powering your light.

An alkaline AA cell is too weak to power modern high performance lights, and to use them, a LOT of them have to be bundled together.

An "Enloop" or rechargeable AA, can be better, but still doesn't have the energy density of a lithium ion cell.

The CR123A is a disposable lithium ion cell, and, has a high enough energy density to make a small yet bright light.

A RECHARGEABLE lithium ion cell has even more power (Higher voltage) and can make the same sized light a lot brighter. (RCR123 instead of CR123, as in "R" for Rechargeable)

To get 150 yards of throw...the cells you need will depend on how bright you need your target to be, and, how large an area you need illuminated at that range.

You then consider the flood light use you want...how large an area, and how brightly lit.

You need to start there...and work backwards.

Most of us simply follow the flashaholic mantra: (Get both). Get a throwy light optimized for your distance/target, and a floody light optimized for the close range task(s) expected.

:welcome:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That same light will put an even SMALLER circle of light on the ground in front of you, so it would be terrible for talking a hike where you didn't want to step on a snake of trip over a root...the light bean is so small that you are trying to see where you are going through a paper towel tube type view.
Must be a asperic light you describe. All lights with a reflector got spill, no matter how tight the beam is :) The only thing i find terrible about walking around with "throwers", are the overkill hotspot on close range. Spill lights up everything up close, but it's blinding if you shine the hotspot too close to you.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
in general flashlight use, a medium flood beam ... 7-9 degrees, like the typical P60 insert ... is the best compromise.

but when You have the "reach problem" VERY often, then the tight focused beam is Your best bet:
--> You can also do close range work with it, but with a floody beam You cant reach far
;)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of batteries, the main advantage of the CR123 is that maximum output on a lithium primary (disposable) will be about double the AA size due to double the voltage. Runtime, shelf-life, temp performance, etc. will be roughly the same when compared to the AA lithium primary, the L91.

With Li-ion rechargeables 16340/RCR123 vs 14500 (AA size), everything is the same, except the 14500s are truer to stated capacity of 750ma while 16340 are closer to 600-650ma, due to the AAa slightly larger size.

Alkaline primaries and NiMh rechargeables - cheap, widely available, safe - are options only available to the AA user. Alks will leak on you if let them get too low though.

Note: a light must be appropriately rated for the voltage of the battery you are going to use.

For a first light, I personally would recommend a floodier light for general purpose use, unless you have a specific purpose in mind, like scanning the perimeter of your property, or searching for wildlife.

slickseal

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all of the feedback!
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, all purpose light for around $50 ?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for all of the feedback!
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, all purpose light for around $50 ?
Are there any other limiting factors?
I like to start my search(s) with the most limiting factor first.

Do you want/need neutral-white? Will you get into rechargables? Will two levels be sufficient? Do you need a sustained run-time at maximum output?

If something like the ET P100C2 with the xp-g doesn't throw enough for you, then you can exchange it for the xp-e version, which has less lumens but more throw.

Last edited:

slickseal

Newly Enlightened
neutral-white would be nice, but it probably wont be the deciding factor. two levels is fine but more is great too:). Im not really sure if I will get into rechargeables, but the option to use them in a flashlight would be nice if I do..... My main concern is if i can use a light more designed for throw for closer range work.
Sorry for my incompetence!:)

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
My main concern is if i can use a light more designed for throw for closer range work.
It depends what you mean by 'close work'. If you are talking about working on your car or some other home repair, I think a thrower is fine as long as it has an appropriate (lower) brightness you can set. I prefer a bit of a thrower for mechanical type work. If I want to line up a bolt hole, I don't need all the extra light from flood bouncing back in my face. On the other hand, if by 'close work' you mean checking your basement/attic for leaks, critters, etc, or even just navigating your house at night or walking a path, you might want something a little floodier so you can see the big picture without tunnel vision. A lot of lights have a somewhat floody beam and a 'hot spot' that throws a greater distance. They are usually a good compromise for a general purpose light. Unless you have a specific outdoor search use for the light, I would consider a more floody light with a nice hot spot.

Will you be looking to carry this light in your pocket? A 150 yard thrower might be more than you want to carry in your pocket everyday.

If you go with a AA light, I would go with rechargeables like eneloops. Alkalines are poor performers and sooner or later you will get a leaker. You can get some eneloops and a charger for pretty cheap. There is more expense and more learning involved if you want to get into lithium ion rechargables and the light needs to be specifically able to use them.

slickseal

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply!
When I said "closer work" I meant stuff like walking on a dark path at night , looking around the backyard, ect.
So I really like your suggestion for a floodier light with a nice hotspot. This light would have to fit in my pocket, but I dont think that will be an issue because I will be using either 2 123a's or 2 AA's. I was looking at the foursevens quark, but thats a little above my budget right now. any other good quality lights that you would recommend?
Thanks so much!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply!
When I said "closer work" I meant stuff like walking on a dark path at night , looking around the backyard, ect.
So I really like your suggestion for a floodier light with a nice hotspot. This light would have to fit in my pocket, but I dont think that will be an issue because I will be using either 2 123a's or 2 AA's. I was looking at the foursevens quark, but thats a little above my budget right now. any other good quality lights that you would recommend?
Thanks so much!

That's my EDC (the "X" for XML emitter) a lot of us run them on optional 1xAA tubes with 14500 Li-ions... I love this light, esp. the 200+ hr/1AA moonlight mode. It's pretty floody, but the near 300 lumens throw reasonably well.

Great starter light, can't think of a more versatile light that handles all batt chemistries, huge lumen ranges, crazy long runtimes, a variety of disco modes, with a long warranty, and HQ'd out of the US.

I've still seen some inventory left on rebranding sales (I bought at least a half dozen for gifts a month or 2 ago). $45 + shipping., try 4Seven-store.com. (I've never bought from them though).

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
You are no longer forced to choose between Flood or Spot light.

Ever since I bought my first Zooming light (Flood to Spot continuously adjustable) I consider a fixed-focus light way too limited.

Combine that with a Variable Brightness control and you have an incredibly versatile light.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply!
Thanks so much!
I like Fenix and Quarks. Both have a somewhat floody beam with a hotspot. Both are a little over your budget, but they are nice lights. In the CPF marketplace, you can find some 8-10% discount codes. You can also find some discounted Quarks on goinggear.com and some other sites. They have quarks with 4sevens old logo. I don't keep up on all the other brands lights because I will buy them all, so I don't look. Maybe others will suggest something less expensive.

I have the Fenix LD12, LD22, and the PD32. I have an assortment of Quarks too. All nice lights. I carry and use the LD12 the most. Before that, it was a Quark single 123. My Fenix's have better tint and I like the new side button. Some guys hate the side button. Both Fenix and Quark (and other brands) in a single AA will light your path pretty well, but won't overly impress with super throw. You can find outdoor beamshots if you search for reviews here and on youtube. A 2xAA or single 123 will impress more. 2 x123 even more.

You can get 4 AA eneloops and a simple charger for ~$16. Lithium-ion will impress for sure, but will cost you a lot more to get started. All the Quarks will take lithium ion, but of the Fenix I mentioned, only the PD32 will take a Li-ion. The Fenix LD22 can lose its low mode on alkaline batteries until they run down a bit. I never use alkalines though.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer is simple! Buy two lights, a thrower and a floody light. You'll want a back-up for whatever you are doing! Also you can get a difuser that will spread the light evenly for close work.