New Fenix TK35 arrived

jamesb

Newly Enlightened
I had ordered what I thought was going to be the 820 lumen TK35 from Amazon. A day later I saw on this board that the new 860 lumen TK35 was now available...I was a bit bummed out.

Well I just got the Fenix in today and wouldn't you know! It is the new 860 lumen version. I'm stoked! Threw some Tenergy CR123s in there and tested it out in a pitch black room. Love it so far. Can't wait to test it outside tonight. Love to see how it does next to my pocket carry flashlight. The TK35 is a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be.

Reason for posting is that Amazon still shows it as the older model:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I2EMXM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

In fact I received the newer version. For under $100 I think it is a really great value. I'll grab some sweet photos in a little while.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your new light! It's good you got the upgraded one instead of the older one. The TK35's been around for quite a while, it's still a pretty solid light, and for its size and performance, it still quite a light to own!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please tell us how the beam is. My TK35 ( first version ) has a green tint and a doughnut hole in the center of the hot spot on max. Others (not everyone ) have posted about it too. My guess is your light will be perfect ! Enjoy.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
How much of a discernible difference can 40 lumens make when your in the 800 range anyway?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
from 800, 900 to 1000 is not noticeable, provided the reflector depth and width are identical. It's just one bright light.

What will give the edge is the tightness of the center spot. The tighter it is, the brighter it seems. I've seen tight beam 500-600 lumen lights that look brighter than 800-900 lumen flood lights. I also own two 600+ lumen lights in the BC25 and the V9-T6 and the V9 looks brighter because the reflector focuses the hotspot tighter than the BC25 giving it higher lux, thus better throw.

I hope this new version of TK35 has a deeper reflector to improve its throw. If all they changed was the LED, there wouldnt be any real improvements from the 1st gen (of I know most of us have the greenish tinted one) other than the fact that the LED's sure to be cool white and probably more floodier than the old one since the U2 has a bit of a bigger die, correct guys?

If they made the new TK35 a much better thrower and much brighter light, that would probably boost sales by previous 1st-gen owners to upgrade to the new TK35 V2. But as it is, it just seems like a little improvement to benefit 1st time owners of the TK35. Not taking anything away from Fenix, the TK35 is a great light. I love my TK35 which is more than a year old now and still working as good as the day i bought it, greenish tint and hole in the middle and all. hahaha

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my TK35 last Thursday and have been waiting for dark every day since then and being amazed at its intensity, I have considered putting in the car emergency kit but I'm having too much fun with it to store it away right now. Am thinking of uses on board the fishing boat for night time while out fishing, I can be sure it will let other boats know I am out there. We have a lot of folks trying to thin out the human gene pool constantly.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
How much of a discernible difference can 40 lumens make when your in the 800 range anyway?

Nil.

I got the TK35 last year if memory serves. Used it less than a half-dozen times, and almost all of those were impressing people with the "high" setting of 300-and some lumens. When they were all in awe of that, I bump it up to "turbo" and they usually wet themselves.

I really don't think 40 lumens, or even 100, is going to make much of a difference.

It's too darn bright to use up close with all that horsepower anyway.

John

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
^

Roger that! I spoke with a Canadian distributor today and asked him the question, his reply was the 40 extra lumens (if its even there) is a marketing gimmick.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

Roger that! I spoke with a Canadian distributor today and asked him the question, his reply was the 40 extra lumens (if its even there) is a marketing gimmick.

That's correct! I'm an existing TK35 owner, and there's no "rush" to purchase this new version. I've long been waiting for a version 2 of the TK35, but this new one doesnt have enough to make me want to upgrade.

jamesb

Newly Enlightened
I agree. If you already have a TK35 it probably isn't worth it to buy another for the upgrades. If you don't have one, like me, I'd definitely go for the newest version. The body feels very nice. I like the new ribs on the body and i'm pretty sure the old TK35 didn't have the memory feature.

Chris762

Newly Enlightened
Can you post up some nice pictures of the light, I'm curious to see what this new ribbing looks like