Best source for teflon wire in multiple colors?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I want to start modding some of my lights, but I think I need some Teflon coated wire for best results, right?

i checked McMaster and I didn't find any Teflon coated wire there in my search... I'd prefer to find a US source for quick delivery, etc. and one that carries a good selection of colors, as well

also, for flashlight purposes, should I use solid or stranded hook up wire?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I buy my teflon wire on ebay from the seller "navships". As far as stranded vs solid most of the time you would want to use stranded. Solid core wire is significatly less flexible compared to stranded, something to consider when the intended use is in flashlight modding.

jufran88

Newly Enlightened
McMaster should have Teflon wires! Sometimes they're called PTFE wire as well as Teflon wire. Navships is also a good supplier of these wires as well.

lewong

Newly Enlightened
There are CAT 5 and 5e Ethernet cables that have PTFE insulation. They are usually 24-26 AWS gauge. I think CAT 6 is a slightly larger gauge.

moderator007

Enlightened
I use high strand count silicone wire for all my builds. Very flexible even in larger sizes. You can find it in about any place that sells RC parts or accessories. I have order from hobbyking and EPbuddy. If I need it quick a go with EPbuddy in US. Comes in several different sizes and not all that expensive by the foot.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I buy my teflon wire on ebay from the seller "navships". As far as stranded vs solid most of the time you would want to use stranded. Solid core wire is significatly less flexible compared to stranded, something to consider when the intended use is in flashlight modding.

+1 with navships. I buy all my teflon wire from there. I always used stranded, but I'm getting to like the solid wire. The smaller sized wire, (20ga and smaller) is easy to use and I feel it draws more amps thru a smaller size, with less resistance. Maybe that's just heresay.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
try illumination supply.
yeah man, i checked illumination supply first actually, but while the prices are great, i really want standard colors like red, black, etc. :(
thanks for the suggestion, this could be our winner!
McMaster should have Teflon wires! Sometimes they're called PTFE wire as well as Teflon wire. Navships is also a good supplier of these wires as well.
gotcha, i assumed it was either teflon or not lol. thanks for the pointer that it's called PTFE sometimes haha
There are CAT 5 and 5e Ethernet cables that have PTFE insulation. They are usually 24-26 AWS gauge. I think CAT 6 is a slightly larger gauge.
good suggestion, but i think that'd be too thin for, say, 9 amps right? some of the builds i'll be doing are PT-54 mods that i'm gathering all the stuff for and can draw about 9 amps max lol
I use high strand count silicone wire for all my builds. Very flexible even in larger sizes. You can find it in about any place that sells RC parts or accessories. I have order from hobbyking and EPbuddy. If I need it quick a go with EPbuddy in US. Comes in several different sizes and not all that expensive by the foot.
thank you. so is silicone wire better than teflon? are they about equal? i'm new to this lol
+1 with navships. I buy all my teflon wire from there. I always used stranded, but I'm getting to like the solid wire. The smaller sized wire, (20ga and smaller) is easy to use and I feel it draws more amps thru a smaller size, with less resistance. Maybe that's just heresay.

thanks! i'll go with navships then!

moderator007

Enlightened
Hi tobrien, from what I have read there pretty close too equal. The teflon may be more abrasion resistant. From what others have said, silicone is some what more flexible. This could be just a particular brand. Either one will work fine.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
thank you. so is silicone wire better than teflon? are they about equal? i'm new to this lol

Both are good. I think a lot of folks prefer silicone coated wire because it is more flexible. When you are trying to solder a 2" length of wire (That is already soldered to an emitter board, which is bonded to a heatsink/pill) to a tiny solder pad on a driver board without shorting out your board can be a challenge sometimes. Especially if you are dealing with multiple emitters/wires in a build. The teflon (PTFE) wire is quite stiff and difficult to strip (I use a utility knife razor blade) especially the smaller gauges. I started out using teflon, now I use silicone. The R/C community uses silicone. When it come to high amp applications, I trust their judgement. The flashlight build posts with pictures that I have seen use both, but probably more silicone. Hope this helps.