What's with the color tint inconsistency among Cree XM-L T-6's?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now have bought 6 XM-L lights all in the last 7 weeks or so. The first was the Zebralight SC600(not the W version). I thought maybe it would be too cool tinted, since they also sold a warm tinted model, but it really isnt bad at all. I cant figure out which version of the XM-L it or the SC600W model use, because it doesnt seem to be listed in specs anywhere. Then I got the Solarforce L2P w/Thrunite 3 mode XM-L, and it is a T-6 XM-L. When I compare it's beam with the SC600's beam, I cant tell much of a difference in color tint. They are both pretty neutral IMO. Then I got the Eagletac G25C2, and it came with the XM-L U2 LED. It is a little cooler and less warm than the first 2 above^, and when comparing it to the SF L2P, its a little more towards blue, but I wouldnt call it blue.

But before I got the Eagletac G25C2, I ordered the Lumapower D Mini EX-2, with XM-L T6, and I'm telling you, that things beam was pure blue! It was just about as blue as the beams in those cheap, 5mm led's you see bunched up in the bezels of $4 flashlights. It was so blue-ish, combined with several other "issues", I sent it back.

Then 2 days ago, I received my Eagletac G25A and G25C. I chose the T-6 models instead of the cooler/brighter U2 models, thinking they'd be neutral, but this time, they are very yellowish! I mean they make my previously warmest light(iTp A6 with CM-E) look neutral to cool by comparison! They are yellow enough that they render colors inaccurately. They make our light grey-ish brown soil look orange-ish brown at night!

So, it seems the T-6 is all over the map when it comes to color tint! They are supposed to be neutral, and some are, but others are very yellowish or very blue....

I thought this inconsistency had been "ironed out", and these XM-L bins were consistent by now. So whats up with all this?:thinking:

BigRiz

Newly Enlightened
Just because they're all XM-L T6 doesn't mean they should be the same colour tint.. not even close!

Such LEDs are binned both by efficacy (T6 is the efficacy bin) and by chromacity. For example 3C and 3D are neutral bins... 0S would be extremely blue-greenish.

So for example you can find buy a T6 3C led.. which means it's neutral and very slightly greenish tint, and it follows the T6 efficacy rating.

take a look at this document if you need to know more: http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampXMBL.pdf

Latest posts