Surefire M6LT models: 2011 vs 2012

rokudan

Newly Enlightened
Looking at getting a new light, the Surefire M6LT, so I hit up eBay to do some pricing. I noticed one of the sales specifically lists the light as being "New 2012 Model".

I was just curious if anyone knows what the real difference is. I did some looking, downloaded the 2011 and 2012 catalogs. The only difference is the 2011 catalog specs it at 800 lumens vs 900 lumens in the 2012 catalog. I've heard the lumen spec changed a bit before final production, so I am not sure if there was anything to the difference between what is listed in the catalog. So is that accurate, and if so is that the only difference?

Also, has anyone incurred any problems with the new M6LT. I've had the incan M6 for years, and love it, hoping the same would be true of the M6LT.

TIA

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Not sure about the m6lt, but my new ub3t appears to use a different optic than the ones that are shown here. It seems to have more side spill than the older ones.

ARA

Enlightened
There is no difference in lumens between the 2011 and 2012 models AFAIK. You are correct that Surefire upping the specs. Going with what FPSRelic mentions it would be interesting to see if Surefire has changed the optic on the M6LT as well. I got one from Ebay a month back for around $300 and it has the familiar/older TIR lens which does not allow you to see the LED and i believe would throw further.

No problems with the M6LT so far, it has a nice creamy beam. Good runtime too compared to the older M6, though no one has does a review on it yet.

rokudan

Newly Enlightened
I emailed the seller on the 2012 model and received this reply...

"Lumes out put is much higher and the LED is better."

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Lumes out put is much higher and the LED is better."
Don't think it is "much" higher. Maybe the output is higher if SF uses a brighter LED bin, but even if an U2 Bin is used instead of a T6 bin of a XM-L LED the output is maybe 40 or 50 lumens higher.

IMO there is no real brightness difference between a 2011 and a 2012 model.

rokudan

Newly Enlightened
Sad... I emailed Surefire days ago to ask them this same question, is there a difference and if so what... And they have not replied.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Sad... I emailed Surefire days ago to ask them this same question, is there a difference and if so what... And they have not replied.

I find that they do reply eventually. It depends on the nature of the question as to how quickly they respond. Warranty issues tend to be responded to within a day or two, but general questions can take about a week or so.

Having said that, my prediction is that they will tell you that there is no difference. Surefire don't seem to acknowledge changes to their lights outside of whats printed on the package.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is probably the difference between a lower flux bin vs a higher flux bin XM-L, e.g., T5 vs U2. If you drive the XM-L at max drive current (3A), the calculated emitter lumens from a T5 is about 845 lumens. For a U2, it is about 975 lumens. If the optic transmits 95% of the visible light, then T5 OTF output is about 800 lumens vs about 925 lumens for the U2.

rokudan

Newly Enlightened
Check it out.. Surefire responded!

Dear Greg,

Thank you for contacting SureFire.

The M6LT is refered to as new because it was a well known incandesant light that is now led. The catalog does come out before the light is released resulting in some inacurate information. In some cases there may be newer better led technology out when the light is relesed. The 2012 M6LT Guardian is 900 Lumens and the catalog is accurate to date. The difference betwwn the 2011 and 2012 light is a 100 lumen gain.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my M6LT in Dec. 2011 this one was advertised with 900 lumens. Also the manual and box stated the 900 lumens. Maybe the first batch of the M6LT that came in Spring/summer 2011 has "only" 800 lumens?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think its more of to do with the fact that the 2011 catalog stated the M6LT would be 800 lumens. i preordered mine durring the summer of 2011, the preorder thread in the marketplace even advertised to 800 lumens but when it was released they all were 900 lumens according to the box and manual.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF rokudan!

You guys are splitting hairs. It is a dam bright flashlight either way. Mine really lights up an open space.

kelmo

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
the preorder thread in the marketplace even advertised to 800 lumens but when it was released they all were 900 lumens according to the box and manual.
I was thinkeing there may be an 800 lumens version at the beginning. Since I saw a UB3T Invictus with 400 luens rating (box was also rated wih 400 lumens) here in a WTS thread a few month ago I was guessing there was also a 800 Lumens M6LT. I did not know the 400 Lumnes UB3T until I saw the WTS thread...
But at all we all know thet the lumens values of the Surefire catalog and the real light differ sometimes a little.

You guys are splitting hairs. It is a dam bright flashlight either way. Mine really lights up an open space.
The M6LT is really bright. I love mine and it works perfect with 2x18650 when I use my oddmods battery holder.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using M6LT a while now. Some of my impressions: this is a hefty flashlight! As well the size and beam are impressive. Compared to some other of today´s flashlights(for example Malkoff Wildcat) it may feel a bit oversized for the output, but the large sized body provides a very secure hold. The battery pack feels to be high quality, but according to what I read in some review: it's almost impossible to remove the cells(at least the first one) without any tool. Apart from that 6xCR123 will be pretty expensive and therefore I ordered Oddmods adapter for 2x18650. Works great and makes the replacement of the cells much easier!

Unfortunately the output drops with around 15+% after a minute or so, and then will stabilize. But I read about this behaviour in a review so I already knew it. This is still very subtle and hardly noticed by the eyes, though it's noticable with the lightmeter. And even after the decline the lux value at ceiling bounce is slightly higher than the highest lux value of Maelstrom X10, so no doubt it's a pretty high output.
The beam character I would describe like a smooth and wide beefy hotspot with a very small amount of spill. This is great for some purposes because the spill will not dazzle on the foreground. Still the small amount of spill lights up the foreground enough to see what's in front of you at the same time you brightly shine up the path or object hundred meter away.

M6LT is a special purpose light and not an allrounder. I like it and I am sure it will serve me well. Only one mode, but: I didn't get such kind of light for low mode, for that I have other lights.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate your impressions Swedpat!
This light is on my dream list.
From the beamshots I've seen, I love the large hotspot with minimal surrounding spill.
Like you mentioned, it's great for spotting in the distance without being disturbed by bright spillage.

Is there a 3x18650 adapter made for this light?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a 3x18650 adapter made for this light?

No, 3x18650s will not fit in the tube, but 3x17670 will(Oddmod makes also a 3x17670 adapter). But(the higher energy options) 2x18650 contain more energy than 3x17670 so if you have 18650s they will provide better runtime. Regarding the output I don't know if there is a difference with 11,1V as with 7,4V. The Surefire battery pack is 6V what I can see(3x6V in parallell) and the output seems to be the same as with 2x18650.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have enjoyed my Surefire M6 incan for many years and I am not at all disappointed with the M6LT. I think you will love it too. Most things has been clarified in the posts above. I do like the square hotspot.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, the 2011 and 2012 editions are advertised at 900 lumens. They seem to be the same brightness but it is difficult to tell at that intensity without a light meter. The only difference is the batteries in the 2012 addition have a new look.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, 3x18650s will not fit in the tube, but 3x17670 will(Oddmod makes also a 3x17670 adapter). But(the higher energy options) 2x18650 contain more energy than 3x17670 so if you have 18650s they will provide better runtime. Regarding the output I don't know if there is a difference with 11,1V as with 7,4V.
The 2x18650 Oddmod adapter works perfect with the M6LT, I can recommend this aftermarket piece for every M6LT owner since the M6LT is energy hungry.

The Surefire battery pack is 6V what I can see(3x6V in parallell) and the output seems to be the same as with 2x18650.
No the battery carrier has 3 in line and two lines parallel, therefore the M6LT works with 9V not 6V. Therefore usage with two LiIon cells is no problem.

At all I love my M6LT, it is a great light, the one I also like that much is my Invictus...