ThruNite TN30 Flickering on Turbo

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
I've just received a new ThruNite TN30 and have observed the following: When running on Turbo with UltraFire 2500 mAh 18650 cells (yes, the cheap ones), the light flickers incessantly.

I've been advised that this is most likely the result of the cheap cells not being able to keep up with the current demands of such a high output light, which seems reasonable to me.

I've ordered some quality EagleTac 3100 mAh 18650 cells to verify, but won't have them for a couple days (and I know not to try CR123As as the light is only rated for 13V).

So the question is, has anyone else encountered this flickering when running a TN30 on turbo, with UltraFire cells?

I also have a NiteCore TM11, and am aware of the flickering problems that some people had with theirs, but mine always ran/runs fine on the cheap cells. Were the cells used perhaps a contributor to some of the early TM11 flickering issues?

FYI – I also have the TN31, and it runs perfectly fine on Turbo with the cheap cells (less than half the total output, so lower current draw).

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
John C.

ThruNite

Newly Enlightened
I've just received a new ThruNite TN30 and have observed the following: When running on Turbo with UltraFire 2500 mAh 18650 cells (yes, the cheap ones), the light flickers incessantly.

I've been advised that this is most likely the result of the cheap cells not being able to keep up with the current demands of such a high output light, which seems reasonable to me.

I've ordered some quality EagleTac 3100 mAh 18650 cells to verify, but won't have them for a couple days (and I know not to try CR123As as the light is only rated for 13V).

So the question is, has anyone else encountered this flickering when running a TN30 on turbo, with UltraFire cells?

I also have a NiteCore TM11, and am aware of the flickering problems that some people had with theirs, but mine always ran/runs fine on the cheap cells. Were the cells used perhaps a contributor to some of the early TM11 flickering issues?

FYI – I also have the TN31, and it runs perfectly fine on Turbo with the cheap cells (less than half the total output, so lower current draw).

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
John C.

Dear John,

This is Sara from Thrunite.

Yes, the cells used were the contributor to our TN30's flickers here because good quality cells are needed to keep up with the current demands of its high output light.

Please make sure to use good quality cells in our TN30.

Any question in future, please feel free to contact me: [email protected]
:)

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Sara

ThruNite Co., Limited
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +86 0755 26695350

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TN30 is driver far harder than your TN31. Therefore quality cells are imperative. You will find that you do not experience this problem with the Eagletac 18650 3100 mAh cells.

pounder

Newly Enlightened
I have a tn30 with panasonic 3100's and it sometimes flickers on turbo..I have to tighten the head and body very tightly to get the flickering to go away..

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a tn30 with panasonic 3100's and it sometimes flickers on turbo..I have to tighten the head and body very tightly to get the flickering to go away..

I have had no issues with my TN31 as it is not driven as hard as the TN30.

Good 18650s are a must in the TN30 considereing the lumens that it produces.

To get those lumens it produces it has a very big thirst for current from those 18650s to stay on Max brightness.

The driver must be working very hard with well designed heatsinking to keep it running at that many lumens!

I love my TN31 as it has throw and a reasonable amount of spill as well.

It is the best single XM-L U2 thrower that I have seen so far.

I still can't work out how they get so many lumens out of such a small package!

They are rather chunky with the 3 x 18650 cylindrical battery arrangement but solidly built and you can easily tell both the TN30 and TN31 are quality lights.

After all of that I now have decided the best overall light for outdoors is my TK70.

I know it looks a bit like a toilet or sink plunger, but it just does what it has to do without problems so far and is very bright and reliable running on good brand name NIMH 9500mah LSDs installed.

It just lights up everything in front of you far and wide with 4 brightness levels.

CHEERS

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
After all of that I now have decided the best overall light for outdoors is my TK70.

I know it looks a bit like a toilet or sink plunger, but it just does what it has to do without problems so far and is very bright and reliable running on good brand name NIMH 9500mah LSDs installed.

It just lights up everything in front of you far and wide with 4 brightness levels.

CHEERS

Well said the TK70 is a monster in more ways than one. Very nice light just a tad big, I love my TN31, so much light out of a "small" package.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I have had no issues with my TN31 as it is not driven as hard as the TN30.

Good 18650s are a must in the TN30 considereing the lumens that it produces.

To get those lumens it produces it has a very big thirst for current from those 18650s to stay on Max brightness.

The driver must be working very hard with well designed heatsinking to keep it running at that many lumens!

I love my TN31 as it has throw and a reasonable amount of spill as well.

It is the best single XM-L U2 thrower that I have seen so far.

I still can't work out how they get so many lumens out of such a small package!

They are rather chunky with the 4 x 18650 cylindrical battery arrangement but solidly built and you can easily tell both the TN30 and TN31 are quality lights.

CHEERS

I believe the TN30 & TN31 both are 3x 18650 cells not 4x.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe the TN30 & TN31 both are 3x 18650 cells not 4x.

It is 3 x18650.

It was rather late when I wrote that post and I just opened up my TN31 and checked it out.

It sure is 3 x 18650s.

Good pickup on my mistake I will edit it now my friend.

CHEERS

Last edited: