Need advice: Stick with Quark or upgrade to Nailbender drop-in w/P60 host ?

claren

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. So, here's my dilemma.

I have a 4Sevens Quark XML 123x2 neutral (run off two AW Li-Ions), which I love. I've also got my old Surefire C3 sitting around, unused.

Would I gain anything by going with a Neutral XML drop-in from Nailbender ? The specifics would probably be: T50 flux Bin 4C @ 4300K neutral white XML driven by the 3 level / 2.8 amp /3.4 - 9 volt driver. It'd be powered by two 18500 li-ions.

Obviously, it'd be a much stouter light, and I'm almost certain I'd get more run-time, but would I see more OTF lumens ? Any help or explanation would be very much appreciated!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure the NB drop pushes more current than the Quark.

I have A couple of his XML drops & they're AWESOME.

Mine are 4A and 4C tints.
The 4C is VERY close in tint to the popular Nichia 219
Mine are for single cell use and both run 3.5a on max.
Both are 2mode - I like simple lo-hi

I also prefer the smooth reflector as I use my lights outdoors and do not notice any rings etc. & like the extra throw.

I'm not sure what amperage the Quarks run on max but I'm almost certain it's less than 2.8a

I have both setups. The Quark fits sweetly in my pocket for EDC (lasts a bit longer on a 17670 li-ion cell, too, without having to worry about matching voltages). The Nailbender drop-in provides a wall of light to illuminate whatever you want, out to 250-300 feet or so in an outdoor environment (with some additional distance possible in urban environments, with their more reflective surfaces).

When in doubt, follow the established wisdom: get both.

You won't regret it.