First impressions of a SureFire......

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes I know- another thread ranting about how great surefires are!!!

Well, I got my very first SureFire- a 9Z- this morning. I couldnt wait to rip open the box and see if it lived up to my high expectations, based on all that I`ve read here in the past.

I wasn`t dissapointed!

<font size="3">WOW!!</font>
shocked.gif
Need I say any more? OK then...

To those light-addicts out there that don`t already own a SureFire light, I would strongly suggest getting one, you won`t be dissapointed either!

It`s smaller, brighter, better made, has a better beam, and is just generally cooler (not counting that hot beam!) than any other flashlight I own or have owned. And to those "everyday" flashlight users like me, don`t be put off by the original intention for the CombatGrip, it`s great for non-tactical use too. Easy to grab and have instant light when you need it.
I just shone it out the window (it`s night now) and I could see like daylight. Well OK not like daylight but it blew my silly little decorative garden lights clean away.

I think though, it may be older stock. The beam is slightly oval/egg shaped (am I right in thinking the new ones are round- I`m sure I read that somewhere) and the lanyard ring round the tailcap doesn`t have the little "pocket clip" bit (and the lanyard was missing its plastic toggle like illustrated in the instruction sheet- but a minor complaint indeed), but it is still one heck of a great light. I really can`t wait to see the newer ones- they must be even better.

I`d say a new SureFire addict is born....if it weren`t for the prices that is! My next one has to be the mighty e2 but I can`t really afford another one yet. These are so good though I think, based on this first impression, that the long wait will be worth it.

Well that`s what I think of it. Can you tell I quite like it? of course "Your opinions may vary"!

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Alastair is about to rant.
(You do not have to read this)

Chris,
From now on, every flashlight you see will be compared against your SureFire...
You will not accept poor-quality beams, yellow, dim, flawed with rings and spots.
You will hate having to focus a flashlight.
You will hate having to locate the switch which isn't at the end where you feel it should be.
You will hate the feel of cheap plastic, and huge D Cell hulks.

It's the DVD compared to all the VHS videos.

I often think of SureFire like DTS ES 6.1 - it beats Dolby Digital THX Surround EX Matrix 6.1 like a SureFire beats a Scorpion.
However, neither are Dolby Prologic [aka StreamLight, UKE, Pelican etc] and not Dolby Stereo [aka MagLight] which is better than mono, granted [better than being in the dark],
But, (and this is my point)
You know there is so much better. Invest in DTS, and you'll get the detail, you'll get the quality, you'll get the output, you'll get something not only beautiful, but also scares your neighbours!

Invest in SureFire, and you own the light - you own the night.

Alastair is finished for now, and he thanks you for your understanding. He is about as addicted to SureFire as it's possible to get.

Skyline

Enlightened
Aww man, what Alastair says is only too true. I simply cannot deal with any flashlight that isn't a SureFire these days. In fact, since the day I bought my first (6P), I've only bought two non-SureFire lights: a PalLight for the super long life and the well-hyped Arclight.

In fact, the only time I pull out the non-SureFire lights (Pelican, Maglite, Photon) is when I'm lending it to someone or when I need a really weak light!
wink.gif

/mel
grin.gif

Spidey82

Enlightened
jus for curiousity sake,
where does the poor scoprion go when u ppl got your surefire???

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't actually have a Scorpion. I base my comments on those of people who have reviewed it. People who's judgement I can trust.

The last non-SureFire of mine was taken off the shelf to lend to my parents when they went on holiday. A bright orange Pelican SteathLite. Trusted, used and abused, but not a SureFire. It's beam disappoints. Before I got my first 12PM (I don't aim low) I thought the StealthLite was the best compact flashlight ever. And then, not only were there Lithium Flashlights, but StreamLight and UKE 4AA flashlights to compete. I have still to demo either of these.

Finding a shop in England that has either is proving more difficult then tracking down SureFire retailers!

One of these days, I'll buy me a Scorpion so I can see how it copes with what I put SureFires through. It just seems that by buying one, I'm throwing my money away...

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

ok i have a E1 a E2 a G2 and a 8AX Sure Fire but i do love my Streamlight Scorpion it is with me every day it is the one i go for frst and i like it the bast well that and my E1 and if i only had one lihium flashlight it would be the Scorpion the spar bulb is in the light not in a bag and you can turn it on with one hand real EZ yes Sure Fire makes a good lihium flashlight tooo

artar

Enlightened
Hmmm, i soon planed to buy a SF E2. But frequently i read between the lines that the E2 is perfect but nevertheless some of you prefer the Scorpion. My Best light (beam quality/brightness) so far is the StreamLight ProPoly 2aa (for its size).
I have never seen an E2 or a scorpion in real live. Here in Germany SureFires and Streamlights are sold in a few online-shops. I dont know the price of the E2 or the Scorpion in the US, in Germany an E2 costs about DM 200,- and the Scorpion about DM 140,-.
If you ask me what for i need a really good/perfect flashlight:
for nothing, i live here in an area where all streets are good illuminated, where we have maybe once every 5 years a power failure for 1-2 minutes.
I want one because I am a flashaholic! In the long term i think i will have both. But wich flashlight should i buy first ?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
And to those "everyday" flashlight users like me, don`t be put off by the original intention for the CombatGrip, it`s great for non-tactical use too. Easy to grab and have instant light when you need it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That quote bears repeating. I love the "combat grip", period. It's how I use my lights, even for utility purposes, in most cases. The only time I'm not holding the light using the combat grip is if I'm going to keep the light on for a long time (like for lava tube hiking
smile.gif
), in which case I'm going to hold it in a hammer grip like any other flashlight. But if I'm just flashing for a bit here and then a bit there, I love using the combat grip. Since about every non-rechargeable light that comes without a combat grip also comes in a version with a combat grip (except for the E series, of course), I see no reason to ever own a non-rechargeable Surefire without a combat grip ever again!

Joe

Joe

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It is too bad that some of us live in flashlight-deprived areas of the world!!
wink.gif

I carry two Sure Fires with me all the time; a 6P and a 9P (actually, I usually have an E2 in my shirt pocket as well). In addition, there is a 9P in the glove box of each car. So, I like Sure Fires.

However, there are some tasks for which they are not as good as other types. I also carry 3D Mag Lights in my cars, with the Xenon Star lamp. When the Mag Light is focused to a tight beam (I can see Alastair gritting his teeth
wink.gif
), it will reach farther out. This is probably not a big deal in the British Isles, where visibility is often under 10 feet, but in California, a flashlight which will reach out 50 to 100 feet with a bright spot is sometimes useful. Beyond 20 feet or so, a Sure Fire 9P with the P91 lamp is LESS bright than the Mag Light mentioned above. A lot less.

The other advantage of the Mag Light is that it will burn for 10 to 12 hours. On one set of batteries. Sure Fires are fine for intermittant use, but if you need the light for a considerable time, you are going to need a lot of batteries and some asbestos gloves to hang on to your Sure Fire!!

One other problem with the Sure Fire, not apparent to people who have owned them for some time, is that there is no intuitive way to turn the light on. If you hand one to someone unfamiliar with the light, they will often try to unscrew the headcap (the way you turn on a 2AA or 2AAA Mag Light). They eventually find the button, but screwing in the tailcap is something they ususally need to be shown. Not a problem with continued use, but if you toss a Sure Fire to someone who doesn't know how to operate it, hoping that person will provide you with light, turn it on first.

Walt

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire and MagLites are designed for different types of illumination requirements.

SureFire have Flashlights for both close and longer range illumination.

I have found that some people don't know how to turn SureFires on. However, SureFires are designed that way so that under high stress conditions, the prepared person doesn't have to locate the switch on the body - it is there at the rear.

If you toss someone (with no prior experience) a cellphone, and ask them to call 911, would they know which button to press to 'call' the number?

As for runtimes, again, for SureFires, this comes at the cost of size and output. Designed for conditions where high intensity light is required for a very short time from a very small flashlight.

If you've got a MagLight, email Walt to get the best possible light out of it.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
He has more torches than me, he knows watt ohms and amps means, has a website, and now he actually owns a Sure-fire. Congratulations on your new acquisition Chris !

(Ps - Chris M lives in Wales, where electricity is still regarded as a wonderous thing.)

Various Quotes.
"i live … where all streets are good illuminated, … once every 5 years a power failure for 1-2 minutes. I want one because I am a flashaholic! Ghost"

Me too ! I read so many posts where people really do use their lights a lot. I use one say 3-4 times a week, but I still want/need/aspire to nice examples, just a few, "the best in their field" Maybe I'll have invent more reasons to use them -

"like for lava tube hiking - Joe Talmadge" And people do interesting things like that, diving, etc. with their lights, as opposed to my just looking around under a cupboard or in a garage.

"It is too bad that some of us live in flashlight-deprived areas of the world!! Walt Welch"

In the UK, sometimes we can actually see as far as a whole city block ! Thankfully, London smog is now a thing of the past, Sherlock Holmes stories, and period TV dramas. God knows what impression you Americans have of the UK from the groans of we Brits in this forum. Over here isn't really that bad.

Walt Welch, the P91 in the 9P ? I'm really curious about the distance the beams are thrown, and the total illumination.

Lite-Lover
frown.gif
shocked.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
This land is quickly becoming "Green and Pleasant" as Spring gains strength.

On a 'clear' day, I once saw to the end of my street. On a 'clear' day.
tongue.gif

Wales has electricity?!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Lamp Modules such as the P60 & P90 are designed to provide the best illumination at close range - ranges typically associated with the use of handguns. The P61 & P91 provide a larger beam of light - illuminating more and better within the same range.
Whilst more light does allow you to see further, Walt is right that a flashlight with a tighter focus and a larger reflector will be able to output a beam of greater intensity down range.

SureFire TurboHeads provide longer range illumination - for use at the sort of distances larger weapons are typically deployed.

Do we have city "Blocks" in England? Maybe if you mean instead of regular square grids, we have irregular free-form polygons...

I use SureFires everyday. I carry atleast two with me. I walk home at night through unlit woods. I need flashlight. I want the best. I have SureFires.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Do we have city "Blocks" in England? Maybe if you mean instead of regular square grids, we have irregular free-form polygons...
Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I agree with that Al, but i'm trying to learn American !
Maybe I'll soon start calling torches *flashlites* ?

Chris, some of my best friends are Welsh people
tongue.gif
I wonder how many Sure-Fires there are in old Albion now ?

Hey, why do UK members all post at this kind of time ? It's 03.18 over here ...

Lite-lover
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Please clarify. When refering to "combat Grip" are you refering to the underhand, thumb on the tail cap method of holding a light or are you refering to the shape of the light (such as that seen in the C,Z and M lights) with the flat spots and the rubber ring?

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Hmmm, i soon planed to buy a SF E2. But frequently i read between the lines that the E2 is perfect but nevertheless some of you prefer the Scorpion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a Scorpion and it became my favorite personal carry light. Nice even beam, white, adjustable and powerful. Momentary and constant on switch on tailcap. Well engineered with a solid and balanced feel to it.

Then the Surefire E2 became available.

It is not until you get the best that you realize the limitations of what you thought was the best.

Turns out that the Scorpion has a few anomalies:

Switch - easy to use momentary on with thumb press, can't press it in far enough for constant on (have to use another finger!).

adjustable beam - turns out that I *never* use the beam out of focus, would rather just lock it to maximal focused beam, but to do so prevents removing the head to change batteries.

The E2 has the Scorpion beat on almost all counts except the replacement bulb inside the light.

In comparison the E2 makes the Scorpion look big and clumsy. And the Scorpion is NOT big and clumsy! I would say if you can afford the difference in price to get the E2 if compact size and high quality engineering is of priority to you.

Size15's

Flashaholic
When I refer to SureFire's CombatGrip, I refer to the "rubber" grommet on the body that is designed to enable the flashlight to be gripped with full use of the momentary TailCap switch whilst holding a handgun in the other hand.

The CombatGrip allows the flashlight to be held between the first two fingers with the pressure switch activated on the big thumb muscle by using the CombatGrip to pull the flashlight into your hand.

There are actually two types of CombatGrip. The CombatGrip proper that has adjustable grip rings, and can be used with the flashlight in any orientation. Models such as the Classic 6Z, 7Z & 9Z as well as the upgraded Z-Series Z2 & Z3. Also, the M3 & M3T.

The other type of CombatGrip is a fixed grip ring with a flat-sided recess for your two fingers. This allows the addition of the PocketClip. However, the CombatGrip can only be utilised from two body orientations. Examples of this CombatGrip are the old M2, the new M2, and the C-Series C2 & C3.

Whether you use your SureFire with a handgun or not, from my experience (of not), the CombatGrip gives a more positive grip, and hold on the flashlight. Especially in the cold, wet or under stress etc.

Al

artar

Enlightened
Coherence you're right. A couple months ago i thougt the mini-mag was the non-plus-ultra mini flash-light. Now i think i must have an E2 as soon as possible. But i did not found a (Online-) Shop in Germany wich sells the E2. The E1 is sold for DM 170,-, that's double the price in the US :-(.

Size15's

Flashaholic
So why not buy from the USA?
Even with postage and any import Taxes etc, you may find that you can still save money.

I did. Infact all things accounted for, my first order from the USA saved me 36% on the cheapest UK retail prices I found at the time.

Al

Spidey82

Enlightened
but u get to see wat u paying for???
unless u don't mind waiting after PAYING for it, or u don't mind if the product u get has.........err....defact like colour mismatch etc...........
but u do save quite a bit