E1b mod from high/low to low/high. Pre Up Date post #18

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mods: I asked this question in the "modification" sub-forums but haven't received a response, so I figured I post my request it here. If it's not allowed, please feel free to delete this thread. Thanks and sorry if it isn't allowed.

I'm asking if it's possible because the high/low doesn't work well for my present use (or to be more specific, in my present situation/contract). This is a great little light, and I would really like to use it since my go to light is in for warranty repairs. If it's possible to do this change, I'll more then likely purchase another E1b or wait for the EB1, keeping the new light in it's high/low mode.

As always, thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has anyone changed the mode on a E1b from high/low to low/high?

If the circuit is designed with a high/low sequence I believe it is impossible to mod it to reverse the sequence. I sold my E1B because of this and use now an E1L, less powerful but with the 'right' sequence and an older L1 (same).

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the circuit is designed with a high/low sequence I believe it is impossible to mod it to reverse the sequence. I sold my E1B because of this and use now an E1L, less powerful but with the 'right' sequence and an older L1 (same).

Man thanks for the quick reply! I was hoping the mode sequence could be change (because this the reason why I like my LX2) so I could have a single CR123A primary light that has a good distance on high, but starts out in low.

Last edited:

SOG

Newly Enlightened

I wouldn't think it's not possible, but it will not be easy, I don't have e1b,
but i saw the pictures, don;t see anything on the top, the ic might be at the bottom of the board

you could change the ic if you have the soldering skill... but it won't be possible if
it's modules are build into the LED... unless you change the LED itself.

But even it's possible, it's not recommended to change the module on your light,
Because it would void your warranty, and also you might not be able to solder as
good as the original factory made; well, it's not "not possible" it just take skills...
and the challenges will come when you drop your light.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, warranty is always, well most always a concern as in the case with my E1b. I figure if the mod can be done, then I'd take a chance on this light. Because if I don't, I won't use it, unless I get a call to head out to a new project!

FPSRelic

Enlightened

It sounds like what you need is a last generation (cree) L1 before they were discontinued last year. Same UI as your LX2, and even though it's listed as having only 65 lumens max output, it appears to have used the same emitter as the e1b, as it's output is very similar. You can also use a 16340 battery in it, which overdrives the emitter to give output that almost rivals your LX2.

Older cree versions are still good, but imo the latest versions were the brightest with the most throw. If you plan on buying one, you can confirm that it's the lastest version by getting one with the new style logo. Note however that these lights are only about an inch shorter than your LX2

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

It sounds like what you need is a last generation (cree) L1 before they were discontinued last year. Same UI as your LX2, and even though it's listed as having only 65 lumens max output, it appears to have used the same emitter as the e1b, as it's output is very similar. You can also use a 16340 battery in it, which overdrives the emitter to give output that almost rivals your LX2.

Older cree versions are still good, but imo the latest versions were the brightest with the most throw. If you plan on buying one, you can confirm that it's the lastest version by getting one with the new style logo. Note however that these lights are only about an inch shorter than your LX2

Thanks for the heads up on the L1, sounds like a light I'll start looking for when the funds are available (since my flashlight budget is presently tapped for a while! ...:mecry:... Well it was actually because my Boy needed a root canal and a SS/Ti cap done to his lower K-9, is why I'm :broke:).

But I just got some good news, I received a PM from our man live'in in the Pacific Northwest, ... And he told me he can make the mode change, so the E1b will be heading his way!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! And I'll more then likely start looking for an L1 as soon as I can, especially since I got quite a few AW's on hand!

Last edited:

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened

I wish the e1b was low first too. Let us know this mod goes. What does the old Surefire logo look like

Dingle1911

Enlightened

My favorite switch type is the kind found on the LX2, push part way for low then the rest of the way for high.

AZPops, please keep us updated on the mod.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

My favorite switch type is the kind found on the LX2, push part way for low then the rest of the way for high.

AZPops, please keep us updated on the mod.

Absolutely! I'm sending it out in the AM, so I should have it back in a week or so!

Btw, I really like the LX2's switch, and wished Surefire would implement the switch in other models as well!

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LX2 L1 and A2 are the only lights with that switch that I've seen, wish I'd splurged and got an A2L

SOG

Newly Enlightened

That is very good to know that you finally found someone that will do your mod! I do like flash light to go low at first, and then get higher in time. But I think Surefire is different as some of these light are used by law enforcement and also they might use them as backup/emergency light. I still remember the first Sire fire came out, the slogan is something like the light will blind you, so you will freeze. So I guess for Technical lights, they are different.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is very good to know that you finally found someone that will do your mod! I do like flash light to go low at first, and then get higher in time. But I think Surefire is different as some of these light are used by law enforcement and also they might use them as backup/emergency light. I still remember the first Sire fire came out, the slogan is something like the light will blind you, so you will freeze. So I guess for Technical lights, they are different.

When I purchase the EB1, I leave it OEM. But it'll be nice to have the option of the E1b's low/high on hand when I need this configuration.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I purchase the EB1, I leave it OEM. But it'll be nice to have the option of the E1b's low/high on hand when I need this configuration.

Rumor is the EB1 will come in two flavors: one with a clicky that is hi first and another with the L1/LX2 style tailswitch that is low first. IIRC these are in the latest catalog, but not 100% sure. In any case, being in the catalog definitely doesn't mean it will get launched; this is Surefire afterall, with their long history of advertised vaporware.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rumor is the EB1 will come in two flavors: one with a clicky that is hi first and another with the L1/LX2 style tailswitch that is low first. IIRC these are in the latest catalog, but not 100% sure. In any case, being in the catalog definitely doesn't mean it will get launched; this is Surefire afterall, with their long history of advertised vaporware.

I would be one happy customer that's fur sure!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be one happy customer that's fur sure!

Agreed! For my use low first is necessary, and the L1/LX2 switch is ingenious.

Surefire supposedly is doing this to compensate for their cancellation of the LX1 before it went into production.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed! For my use low first is necessary, and the L1/LX2 switch is ingenious.

Surefire supposedly is doing this to compensate for their cancellation of the LX1 before it went into production.

i love my L1s, only thing that could replace them is a McG LS20, maybe heheh since ive never been fortunately enough to handle one.
the EB1 with 2-stage swtich is the light im most looking forward to.
i actually feel the LX1 wouldnt of been much better than the 6th gen L1. surefire could of just called the 6th gen L1 the LX1 honestly.

back on topic. i think you should keep the E1B as is, and get a E1L if possible. dont let the rated 45 lumens high fool you. my friend has a E1L, and when compared to my high CRI clicky rated at 100 lumens, the E1L seemed brighter. could be due to the fact that its cool tint, and has a more concentrated beam.
or go for a L1, surefires 2-stage momentary switch is truely one of the greatest interfaces. if you want quick and simple access to both low, and high.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quick up date: Wayne aka Vinh installed a low/high driver that has a 3 second memory in the E1b. However, (which is absolutely not a problem) I'll have to use RCR123A rechargeable with this driver, BUT wayne told me the output has increased. He actually called it a "Pocket Rocket" using the RCR's, so I'm really excited for it to arrive!

Aside from the increase in output, what's cool is I'll be able to use the E1b in it's low output, without having to activate, or cycle through the high! And while surfing around for an L1 (just looking for now, since my wallet took a major hit when we had my boy's new K-9 done), I found a Surefire holster for it, so it looks like the E1b will be my new go to carried along with the Fury!

A side from my Malkoff HD XM-L that's in rotation (or when it's needed), it looks like I'm gonna be carrying all Surefires when I start my night!

Last edited: