noob with a Quark R5, issue

1095guy

Newly Enlightened
hi, i am new to forums in general so i apologize if i missed something. i am also new to quality flashlights, this Quark Regular R5 being my first. sparing the details, lets just say that i am THOROUGHLY displeased with the level of customer service from where i bought it from (online), i was about ready to ask for my money back but it had just been shipped out so whatever (this is relevant). so i receive the light and begin looking for even the smallest of scratches, metal filings, underwater stuff, looking for any reason to send it back, so......

to the point...

i was clicking and changing through the modes quite frantically, until my fingers hurt, and this is my problem, the clicking or depressing to change modes will fail
- i can replicate this, and the problem is remedied by removing/replacing the tail, opening/closing the body
- the problem seems to occur when the device warms up, (not HOT, but normal, as i am aware these things get hot)
- the problem will occur also when it's "cool"
- originally thought it was due to a dead battery
- it seems the problem is easier to replicate with a dead battery, but it will malfunction with a full battery
- sometimes i will press (not click) the button and it will hesitate changing modes

i just got it late yesterday so i'm still screwing with it but i was wondering if anyone on here has had any similar issues. the issue seems sporadic and i've gone through 3 batteries (all alkaline) so it might be them, i'm going to have to pick up a voltmeter after work because i've been using my mouse to tell me if the batteries are dead or not:duh2:. aside from that i'm just looking for opinions on what i should do, i love the flashlight and don't really want to send it back if i don't have to.

either way sorry for the long post, i think its probably batteries but i just want to make sure before i go complaining. i know 14500's will mess with reset times so i'm guessing a dead NiMH will slow it down. anyways, thanks for putting up with this noob with an issue.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure the switch retaining ring is tight. Besides that, when it fails, use a paperclip, and with the tailcap removed, jump from battery neg. to the bare metal rim of the body. This will determine whether or not the switch is at fault.

1095guy

Newly Enlightened
hi, thanks for the reply. the part you're talking about, i think its the silvery piece with 2 dimples, i've tried turning it either way and it seems pretty solid, not loose anyway. trying what you said with the paperclip the problem still persists.

i really want to think its the batteries. i drained the Duracell that came with it and i've been screwing around with Kirkland batts. since, maybe they just die too quickly. ive e-mailed the manufacturer with this question but i would also like to hear from real people with experience, maybe the capacitors or something have nothing to eat, or it's uncommon and i have a faulty emitter head

either way, all input is appreciated, thanks

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the name that FourSevens could have come up with for this light, they had to name it after a greedy, corrupt Ferengi! Why couldnt they have named it the Odo or the Sisko, or the Dax, or the Miles Obrien....

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the name that FourSevens could have come up with for this light, they had to name it after a greedy, corrupt Ferengi! Why couldnt they have named it the Odo or the Sisko, or the Dax, or the Miles Obrien....

could've been worse calling it the 4sevens sevenof9 LOL

yosemite

Newly Enlightened
Just wait for the special edition...the Quark Umox....must be 21 or older to order.
Jokes aside,I just received my Quark QT2L-X today.I'm doomed,I like it....and those raccoons are in for a surprise tonight.

Latest posts