Considering RRT-21

Beckler

Enlightened
I'm considering the Jetbeam RRT21 for a general purpose flashlight. Also I'll use it occasionally as a handlebar bike light. I note it's only rated at 460Lm compared to the RRT0 at 550Lm. Anyone think that it'll get an LED upgrade soon? I'm also looking at the Zebra SC600 which probably has a beam better suited to biking, but it somehow doesn't seem as fun a light as the J-beam. :D And let's face it that's 95% of the reason anyone here even buys lights. :O

aau007

Enlightened
Unless size is extremely important, rrt0 won't give you as much runtime than 18650 lights for biking purpose.

Things to consider between rrt21 and sc600.
- brightness: sc600 is a little brighter with more flood than rrt21
- brightness control: you turn the ring on rrt21 vs double clicking a button on the sc600 WHEN you are riding the bike. Which one is easier for you?
- changing to strobe mode: IF you use strobe, rrt21 you merely turn the ring pass the off to switch to strobe mode quickly. sc600, you more than likely have to pre-program in the Hi selection, thus losing Hi brightness preset. Then hold the switch down until it scrolls to strobe mode.

lightwater

Newly Enlightened
Looking at size rather than output. I've got an RRT-0, RRT-2 & RRT-3. The RRT-2 is the one I like the most. Nice size, good amount of light, nice throw. But it gets used the least by a long shot. It's too large to have in the pocket, & if I want something really bright out comes the RRT-3. The occasion I do use it, it's because it's got that extra battery life & it's not too large to handle. But in general for me it's a bit like the zoom lens on the camera, I need 24mm or 105mm, but don't use 50mm that often.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked the RRT-21, wish I didn't sell it! It's imo a great general purpose light that has a nice build and look. I'll more then likely purchase another just to have it on hand.

Beckler

Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas. One thing I've thought of is lights with infinitely variable output like the RRT21 have this disadvantage: you don't know exactly what output you're at so can't accurately estimate remaining runtime, which sometimes might be otherwise possible on a multi-level light. This is a bit of a problem on a bike. Of course if you're doing serious night riding you'd have a spare battery/light anyway. I think an idicator of some sort would be useful. More lights should have it--some small LED's that indicate charge remaining. I know it adds complexity/cost, but would be very nice to have IMO.