Jetbeam RRT-O XM-L Update?

loquutis79

Enlightened
I am thinking of getting a RRT-0 XM-L

I have read over a few threads which deal with issues with this light, namely the tailcap problems and poor clips among other quality issues. However most of these were dated anywhere from 2010 or early 2011.

I want to know if these issues have been corrected at all seeing as it is now half way into 2012.

Can any one provide me with some updates on this other wise great looking light?

I have some money in pocket just itching to go towards a new flashlight.

loquutis79

Enlightened
Thanks, but both those links are for the RRT-01.

I am interested in the RRT-0 XML. It's the one right above the RRT-01 on their site.
Its the 550 lumen one I want.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-01
The RRT-01 has straight sides, and is very short, so it is very compact and easy in the pocket.
The RRT-01 is all hand shake grip.
Because its a new design, the magnetic ring is short travel, with only some 120 degrees of rotation from standby to max.
Because its new, the standby is microamperage, thus the flashlight will standby for several years before the battery goes flat.
Its narrow and shallow reflector also gives great lateral flood, which is very practical.
Thus, its throw is only 113 meters.
Because its a new model, the RRT-01 so far only comes with a smooth SMO reflector, thus resulting in lots of "ring" patterns in its beam.
However, because the RRT-01 is a new model, it has been designed with a wider 18mm bore, to fit the wider 18350 batteries, which have more milliamp hour capacity for greater run time.
Some people like myself are holding out till the orange peel LOP reflector is released, for a cleaner beam.
The RRT-01 comes standard with a secure twin screw pocket clip.

RRT-0
The RRT-0 is the older design.
However, it's not inferior; it's a case of horses for courses.
The RRT-0 is longer and wider in bezel diameter.

The RRT-0 can be gripped by both the overhand grip, or to a lesser extent - the hand shake grip.
It has a tail end switch for the overhand grip, with four fingers over the top, to hold the flashlight high up above the head, to maximise throw.
The tail end switch also gives total lock-out, and momentary on.
It also allows one to choose the brightness setting first, before the light is switched on.
There shouldn't be anymore tail cap problems these days; there was very little even from the beginning.

The RRT-0's magnetic ring features strobe to the far left.
However, because the RRT-0 is an older design, its ring travel is much longer, at some 300 degrees; more than 3/4 of a turn; though this does give more control of the brightness.
The older design also lacks micro-amperage standby, such that standby indefinitely on the RRT-0, and the battery will be flat in a few days, in the case of a rechargeable RCR chemistry 16340 750 mAH.

Because the RRT-0's reflector is both larger in diameter and deeper, the RRT-0 XM-L will throw 150 meters; significantly further than the RRT-01.
If you purchase the RRT-0 in either XP-G R5 or S2, the RRT-0 will throw a whopping 167 meters, as tested by Selfbuilt in the similar BC10.
Thus, while the RRT-01 is great for flood, the RRT-0 XM-L is great for a combination of flood and throw, while the XP-G R5/S2 version is great for pure throw.
The RRT-0's come in your choice of either smooth SMO reflector for max throw, or light orange peel LOP reflector, for a cleaner beam.
Some of Selfbuilt's tests on other models of Jetbeams show that the LOP reflectors have NO loss in throw, but deliver a much cleaner beam, so we may as well opt for the LOP reflector.

Because the RRT-0 is an older design, it will only accept disposable CR123 3.0V, or rechargeable 16340 3.7V batteries only; not IMR 18350 batteries.
Thanks to the higher voltage, the rechargeable 3.7V deliver significantly greater output, albeit with a reduced milliamphours in capacity and run times.
The rechargeables in RCR chemistry has only 750 mAH maximum capacity.
My friend uses AW RCR chemistry 16340 750 mAH with protection circuitry in his RRT-0 XM-L, and it is no less brighter than using his AW IMR chemistry 16340 550 mAH with no protection circuit.

The standard pocket clip for the RRT-0 is the clip on nonsense; be careful, removal can scratch your annodising.
The secure twin screw pocket clip is optional on the RRT-0 at extra cost; however this option is under $10.

Conclusion
So it's horses for courses.

Most compact and pocket friendly? Go RRT-01.
Ergonomic hand shake grip? Go RRT-01.

All have continuous infinite variable brightness control.

Maximum lateral flood with 113 meters of throw? Go RRT-01.
Balanced flood-throw @ 150 meters? Go RRT-0 XM-L.
Maximum longitudinal throw @ 167 meters? Go RRT-0 XP-G R5/S2...

rrt01_En3.jpg

rrt0_xml_En4.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my RRT-0 on 4-28-2011 and it is my favorite light. Actually, I have not purchased another light since this one. I have a (custom) leather holster that fits it perfectly, and I EDC it.

Use rechargable RC-123 batteries.

This light and holster has "cured" me of being a flashoholic!

piang829

Newly Enlightened
I also have this light, the XML version. I picked this one up in Shanghai when i was in China about a year ago, but anyways...

I like this light alot, esp the form factor (i think its damn near perfect), however some dislikes would be the greenish tint in the beam on the lower end of the brightness levels, Is that just me? anyone else have greenish tint? and although the "floodyness" is freakin awesome, it only throws so far... but ive been using regular CR123's all this time. Planning on getting some RCR-123 to see the true brightness of this light :devil:.

I had an extra titanium clip from Nitecore, fits perfect on this light, and i like it much better than the standard clip, feels stronger and better suited for clipping onto belts and such due to the deeper "cut out?" in the clip. Havent ran into any tailcap issues yet on mine... (knock on wood).

Last edited: