How to properly clean a Malkoff Drop in?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question for any member with FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE in how to properly clean the inside reflector of a drop in. Is it safe to use warm soap and water, flush it around, and then rinse with water? I have a drop in that had something on the reflector, and I tried to gently clean it with a microfiber cloth. After doing this, I noticed that the reflector is not as shiny as it was before I used the micro fiber cloth on it. The material that was on the reflector is gone, but it is not nice and shiny. Any suggestions welcomed?

af112566

Newly Enlightened
ive been told never touch the inside of a reflector.if you do what ever marks are left will be permanent.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a few of those Norm. Thanks for the links. But as for a Malkoff with the "in place", fixed reflector, I am stumped, thus the new thread. I've seen in the Elzetta adds that the guy disassembles the entire light under water, but am wondering if this is safe for all Malkoff's?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
My experiences tell me that any reflector with any kind of imperfection or dirt, will be DRASTICALLY worse after trying any method of cleaning it.

My advice is to leave it alone and tell yourself that you will only make it worse if you try to fix it.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a few of those Norm. Thanks for the links. But as for a Malkoff with the "in place", fixed reflector, I am stumped, thus the new thread. I've seen in the Elzetta adds that the guy disassembles the entire light under water, but am wondering if this is safe for all Malkoff's?

In the Elzetta video, the light disassembled has an M60 drop-in which is sealed by the optic. There's no "access" to the reflector. Sort of like if the lens were glued to an M61.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Malkoff's have a little dust on them too but I ain't touching them. Cleaning them is a hit or miss deal, mostly miss from my experience.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's just debris or dust, I've always had moderate success using either a can of compressed air or something that produces compressed air.