Is the Fenix TK70 still relevant?

380long

Newly Enlightened
Is the Fenix TK70 still relevant with all the new lights that have recently hit the market such as the XTAR S1 and the two new offerings from ThruNite (TN30 & TN31). I want to start off by saying I own a TK70 so I am not bashing it in any way but it seems like some of the lights I listed above do more in a MUCH smaller package than the TK70. I am considering selling my TK70 as it is my only D cell flashlight and replacing it with one of the lights listed above (or maybe something similar) powered by 18650's. 18650 powered flashlights are my favoite and are pretty much all I buy anymore so it makes sense to me to replace the TK70 with an 18650 powered light for consistency sake. Does this make sense to do this? Will I miss my TK70...or will I forget about it perhaps after the purchase of an XTAR S1 or something similar?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Thrunites you listed. They are smaller than a TK70 but not enough for me. I want a 700 yard 2000 plus lumen belt or pocket carry light. If I need to use a shoulder strap, I'll keep using my TK70.

JudasD

Enlightened
You also have to realize that the TK70 is only big because it uses D cells. If they designed it with 4x18650 in parallel it could be short and fat like all of the other lights. Personally i like the diameter of the TK70 handle due to the D cells. It fells more natural than the "fat man" bodies that you get when you put 3 or 4 LiPos next to each other in all of these new lights. Just my humble opinion.

JD

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened
I like it the way it look I prefer big and heavy style, plus it can be used as a base ball bat if needed that's why I went with another with similar stlye the Trustfire X100. My old light was a Mag 6D...could explain why.IMO keep it and buy other if you could

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Hahaha! Funny thing I just assembled the TK70 to try yesterday and I have to say... no, it's not relevant if you have a TM11, S1 or something equally crazy. Other than the sheer size and weight, it offers nothing over the others. On the other hand if the most powerful light you have is a large shoulder strapped HID torch, then the TK70 will be familiar. It is damn intimidating -- though back in the box for me.

utlgoa

Enlightened
The Trust Fire TR-J18 has 7 XML T6 LED's and is powered by three 28650 batteries, and sells for $75.00.

The Fenix TK-70 has now become irrelevant.

Erzengel

Enlightened
The TK70 has larger reflectors than the other triple XM-L lights. This gives You a lot more throw than the other multiple XM-L lights.

LG&M

Enlightened
relevant? yes, cutting edge? No. Still a good light it's not like the dark is getting darker.:laughing:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
The Trust Fire TR-J18 has 7 XML T6 LED's and is powered by three 28650 batteries, and sells for $75.00.

Mmmm... in this comparison I have to say no. I'd sooner trust the TK70 than that TrustFire, really.

ergotelis

Enlightened

Sorry but your comparison is irrelevant. You are comparing a yugo with a mercedes.

First of all, some trustfires out there are not original trustfires, they are the copy of the copy.

Other than that, Lumen output is almost the same, but:
-Trustfire is a really floody light, it can reach about 20,000 lux in comparison to 100,000 lux of TK70.
-Construction Quality of TK70 is simply higher.
-TK70 is a current controlled flashlight in comparison to a visible PWM controlled trustfire.
-Warranty?No warranty!
-Any kind of protections for the TR-J18? I doubt, using unprotected batteries (3*26650!!!!!!), in case of a short circuit, it is possible to give you a ticket to the other world!

For me, a TK70 is still a great light to consider. I don't know any other multiled flashlight to reach such high lux readings, they only get higher lumen output. So, it can be compared only basically to the new SR95,which is only one led, but has a bit less lumen and a bit higher lux readings. And in this case, you have to consider the price difference! So, i don't see any real competitor of a TK70 at this price!

Last edited:

Bwolcott

Enlightened
id say the TK70 is still a great option because in a pinch/ power outage it has the ability to run on disposable batteries where most of the other high output throwers do not

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that the TK70 uses D's makes it more relevant than many other high output led lights. Not everybody who wants to buy a high powered flashlight wants the hassle of li-ions. Four ni-mh D's and a smart charger and you've got a bright flashlight that's almost idiot proof.

JudasD

Enlightened
I have plenty of NiMH and LiIon lights. I have plenty of lights that out throw the TK70 and i have plenty that out flood the TK70. When i hear noises outside at night, it is the TK70 that i grab first. The odd thing is that the TK70 is not even my favorite light. It just always seems to be the one that i grab first when i am spooked and need to see.

JD

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that the TK70 uses D's makes it more relevant than many other high output led lights. Not everybody who wants to buy a high powered flashlight wants the hassle of li-ions. Four ni-mh D's and a smart charger and you've got a bright flashlight that's almost idiot proof.

I was just thinking the same thing! How many lights that put out 2000 lumens use standard D cells? I wish I had a T70, but it is about $80.00 more than I would pay for a flashlight. I do not care for multiple LI-ION lights and think the T70 is a much safer option for around the house. Besides, how can light NOT be relevant!!?? :thinking::cool:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened

No. The Fail is strong with this one.

- Fenix Vs Trustfire = i'll buy a Fenix any day.

- 3x28650 batteries? How much are those? How much is a decent charger for them? Hey, is there an alkaline version of the 28650? Oh, you mean the 26650 battery? :thinking: You fail to factor in the cost of those batts plus charger too.

- Warranty issues? Trust with vendors?

There are "reasons" why this product is 75 dollars. It is up to the individual to assess whether the pros outweigh the cons ... but don't play it up like the TK70 is "irrelevent" based on the TrustFire product. That's silly. :thumbsdow

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Relevant?

Last night there was a power failure. Had it tailstand and ceiling-bounce even just on medium...illumination solved. (with safe, D-cell 9500maH LSD Imedion at that, not ticking time bombs!)

Last edited: