AAA Premium that much different than regular one??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Maybe and maybe not. And if there is you may not be able to tell.

But seriously. Buying a premium guarantees you of getting a highest output whitest color LED. The regulars have more variation. Note this text from the FAQ: "The Standard Arc-AAA uses a R or S flux and B2 or B3 tint. The Premium Arc-AAA uses a S flux with a B2 or B1 tint." There is some overlap in that description. Standards can come SB2 and Premiums can come SB2.

Then again, Standards can come RB3 and Premiums can come SB1. The brightness difference is probably only apparent when inspecting their beams closely side-by-side. Slightly off-white color may or may not offend you.

Both versions are great lights, and equally usable and useful. If your sensibilities are top-of-the-line then get the Premium. If you are more frugally oriented and already struggling to justify a light that costs over $500 per pound then go with the Standard.

Lara

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a Premium. It's equal to my old Standard. It's not brighter and the blueish 'ring' in the beam is comparable to the one in the Standard's beam. If it weren't for the word 'Premium' printed on one of them, you couldn't tell which of them was the Premium. I guess I was lucky with my Standard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nathan S

Newly Enlightened
I have two AAA: one standard and one premium. The premium has a nicer finish, but the standard is actually the brighter of the two.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I've had five Standards and bought a Premium out of curiosity. The Standards have varied in light output and quality, but the Premium is the equal of my best Standard. Maybe a better moniker would be "Hand-picked?"

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
My AAA LE is whiter than my AA Second. They are the same brighness to my untrained eye.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: AAA Premium that much different than regular o

I have 2 premiums and 3 standards and cannot see a *real* difference except that the premiums are a bit more on the "warm white" side, but that is really only noricable when shining the beams on a white wall.
If I should buy another one I'd take a standard one.
bernhard

gyverpete

Enlightened
Re: AAA Premium that much different than regular ?

Peter Gransee said in THIS thread " The Premium uses a warmer tint than the Standard. Both are the same in brightness (on average) and run time."

And from the ARC Flashlight FAQ: "The Arc-AAA is available in two grades: Standard and Premium. Both grades use a hand selected white LED but the Premium grade is of a warmer tint of white."

I personally prefer the colder bluish tint of the Standards.

LEDs vary in brightness(flux), tint, and beam artifacts. This is normal. One ARC-AAA may be brighter or dimmer than another, regardless of whether it's a PE or SE. ARC uses Nichia LEDs, which are the best available, and further sorts and uses only the best of them in all their lights, so you can rest assured that your getting a premium light regardless of the PE/SE designation. I say save some money and get a Standard unless you prefer a warmer tint, or want "Premium" inscribed on it.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AAA Premium that much different than regular o

I'll concur with the sentiments that they are of approximately the same brightness. I own one of each also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The premium, in addition to being warmer, also has a superior beam. The regular is of the traditional blotchy pattern so prevalent in Nichia LED's, but the premium is smoother and quite nice.

Whether thats worth an extra $10 to you is up to you to decide. For a lot of folks around here it definitely would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.