G2 or Scorpion?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, both of the above have been 'lighting up' in my mind for a while now, and I can't decide which to get. I know that while our motto is to 'buy em both', but $$ restraints restricts me otherwise. So for now its either one of the 2. Eventually it'll be both, but priorities have to be set for other lights too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(According to my own observations) In terms of -

Runtime: both are almost equal at about 1 hour+ each.
Brightness: almost comparable, with the Scorpion a little ahead (according to Quickbeam's QUP box)
Size: G2 slightly shorter than Scorpion
Batts: both take 2x123s
Durability: G2 seems to be more rugged with its Nitrolon body compared to Scorpion (but I could be wrong), both are water resistant
WoW Factor: Scorpion looks sleek, G2 looks rugged and ready for anything, Scorpion gets used more in TV shows (BIG WoW factor), G2 seems harder to stow away/put in pocket as the bezel is bigger but still looks rugged,
Others: Scorpion has spare bulb that comes together with light, G2 (SF) LAs are more expensive to replace(?), G2 is more versatile in terms of expandibility (e.g. KL3)
(Added) Switch: G2 is a LOTC, and Scorpion has a clickie/momentary Tailcap...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif and the list goes on.... anyone with anything else to add, pls do so.

So the question is: which would be a better choice? Please state your reason(s) and also keep the choices to these 2 lights only, as I'm already having a hard time as it is choosing btwn the 2, don't need more complications...

"What will the light be used for?", you ask? Well, as it is with any flashaholics, do we really need a reason for another light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It'll more likely be used for the car glove box or general tasks that require a little more brightness/throw.

Thanks in advance!!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ *LOL*

i'd vote for the G2.. it's more versatile.. y'know you could convert it into a nice LED light..

G2 way more water resistant.. i've a friend who let me borrow these lights on a nighthike.. i was so influenced by the frequent reviews i saw, i thought i'd try my hand at it..

so i dipped them in a stream! the scorpion sorta leaked around the head of the light.. it didn't effect it's use at all.. but the G2 didn't allow any water to penetrate the light..

the G2 is also a much prettier light.. *lol*

the G2 pretty much has everything the Scorpion does, except the throw and the more aerodynamic shape.. with many more options..

but then there's the lamp assembly.. scorpion is cheaper to maintain as far as i know..

(my opinion is based on a single hike with these lights.. i don't own them and don't frequently use them)

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I never owned a Scorpion, but if I recall correctly I heard the bulbs blow on a regular basis, so you end up really needing that spare. Surefire bulbs on the other hand, may cost more but last way longer.

I'd vote for the G2, as stated above, way more versatile... different lamps, different bezels, cell extenders, et cetera -- and probably quite a bit stronger/more durable.

Regarding your 'big wow factor:' Do you want the flashlight that makes people say "hey, I saw that on CSI last night" or the flashlight that makes people say "hey, WTF is THAT! I never seen one of them before! That's suckers sure bright!" And do you want to talk about the TV shows that it appears in... or all the wicked cool Surefire accesories that it can take? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
DataSaurus,

All of the above... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess both lights will have their own Wow factors, but only true flashaholics would be able to spot the lights they use in movies and tv shows. Others will only realise it and start looking out for it after you tell them..

Ok, G2 beats Scorpion hands down in terms of accessories... well, apart from that I kinda like the G2 form factor too, looks more wieldable and comfy in hand. Having said that, the Scorpion has a rubber shielding which gives it a good grip well...

I'm still in a dilemma ppls!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Lights, lights and more lights... (not that I'm complaining...)

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I chose the Scorpion when I made this choice. The cost of the lamps made me go with the Scorpion. I believe that the treads on the G2 And the Scorpion are the same. There was a thread when the KL1 first came out showing the head on a Scorpion, it is "less than aesthetically pleasing" (read ugly).
I have not used the G2 but have held and looked at one in daylight. It is a nicer feeling and looking light. For my uses which are seldom I'd still probably go with the Scorpion due to the lamp replacement. BTW I have dropped my Scorpion lit and unlit and I still have the original bulb in it (it works). Second or third set of batteries, in a little over a year. In the same time I've probably gone through 2-3 dozen AA+AAA's in my Ultra and Arc.

What are the pricing and availability of SL + SF lamps in MY?

arioch

Enlightened
Have both; prefer the G2.

In addition to your pros and cons,let me add the following:

The @$%^ stupid rubber sleeve:The rubber sleeve on the Scorpion is a significant drawback, IMO, for the light when compared to the G2. Its grippy texture makes it a hassle to carry in the pocket, as it will often stick to the fabric when trying to pull it out. The sleeve adds nothing to the light's water resistance, since water leaks through the connection between the head and body. It is not a significant factor in cold weather, since the G2 is a polymer and does not transfer cold like, say, a 6P. The slightly more tactile feel of the rubber only matters, I guess, if you are using thick gloves, although if you do, the Scorpion's "innie" tailcap switch would be a problem to manipulate. And to top it off, the sleeve will in time begin to come loose from the body, making it slide down steadily, which eventually makes operating the switch difficult. I found myself having to slide the sleeve back up every few times I used the light.

Looks: I think that the G2 looks a lot better than the Scorpion.

Cost: SL products like the Scorpion will usually cost less to operate and maintain than SF products like the G2. That having been said, I find that the G2 is a well priced, well designed product out of the SF line ... and no, I am not a SF fanatic; I actually own more SL lights than SF products.

Brightness: I have several 2x123 xenon lights (SF G2, SF 6P, SL Scorpion, Brinkman Legend LX, ASP Triad, Pelican M6), and with all of the different lumen and cp ratings, I really don't see a whole lot of difference in "real world" use.

Beam pattern/focusability: The Scorpion has an adjustable focus, and at its tightest pattern, provides a nice round hotspot with no holes or rings. The G2 has a fixed focus, and provides more of an elliptical, oval hotspot. I personally prefer the round hotspot.

Batteries: Even with the cheaper SF 123 batteries, regular use of a 123 xenon light can get expensive. Since you state that you will probably keep it in the glove compartment for intermittent/emergency use, it shouldn't be a problem.

Maintenance/product support: The G2 should be around for a while; I believe the Scorpion is said to be going out of production, to be replaced by the Tactical Lights that are already available (TL2, TL3). If that is the case, it might be a problem to get replacement parts for the Scorpion in the future (although the bulbs will apparently be the same as for the TL2, IIRC).

All things considered, I would probably opt for the G2 over the Scorpion.

Good luck with whatever you get! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Led-Ed

Enlightened
Never tried the Scorp. , but the G2 does not have a LOTC.
to lock it out you have to unscrew the head about 2.5 turns.
That said,I really like my G2 and with the P61 installed it definitely is a "wow that thing is bright" light.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I never owned a Scorpion, but if I recall correctly I heard the bulbs blow on a regular basis, so you end up really needing that spare. Surefire bulbs on the other hand, may cost more but last way longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement really isn't supported at all by the experiences of many folks who use these lights on a regular basis. See the threads Wits' End referenced above.

If it's just going in the glove box, go to walmart and get a Legend LX for $20...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Shortly after I first joined CPF, I did a guy in Australia a favor buy shipping him some lights.

One of the lights was a Scorpion. At the time I had a Legend LX and he let me get the Scorp out and compare the two. I found the beams to be similar at the time. And I just never 'took' to the Scorpion.

Fast forward several months. Carter's Country (sporting goods stores native to Houston) put the G2 on sale for $29.95. I got one and got a classic Kroll clickie for it.

Only two reasons it isn't my EDC (well three maybe). It hasn't got a lanyard. I use a Ripoffs holster, and carry an EDC tail down with a bit of lanyard poking out to the rear (for EASY deployment). And the Kroll is VERY sensative... I fear I'd have dead 123s pretty often. Third reason is that the Streamlight Twin Task 2L DOES have lanyard, nd DOESN'T have a sensative tail switch. It also has a decent Xenon beam and GREAT LED light!

Anyhow, between G2 and Scorpion... I'd go G2 for SURE!!!

And I'm no SF Fanatic. The G2 is the only SF I own. I keep it by my computer for when I need light at that location.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the G2 over the Scorpion. Check out the prices for Lamp Assemblies from:

Emergency Options They're a CPF advertiser.

My son put his G2 through hell and back for 4 months in Belize, 3 sets of batteries, no problem with heavy rains, frequent brief immersion in streams, numerous bumps and bashes. Neither LA blew or even blipped. He said the P61 "ROCKS!" when you are in the really deep weeds.

Now he's got an A19 Extender, P90 and P91 LAs...says he wished he had them when they were exploring caves.

Plus, there's that slick SC1 spares carrier...and further expansion with an LED head and a Turbo Head.

BC

PS: Just curious, what excluded the Pelican M6?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the G2 i have is waterproof, so long as i don't press the switch. you can even take it swimming and operate it underwater by tightening the tailcap to seal the switch, and turning it on and off by twisting the bezel. overall i think the G2 is tougher and will last longer than the scorpion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for the responses so far...

Wits End,
We don't get either SL nor SF over here in MY, so everything I need to buy will have to be online... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well, actually come to think of it, there is a Streamlight distributor here, but I have only seen the Scorpion on sale in 1 (yes, that's ONE) shop here in KL. The price? Well, around USD$60... I'll pay much less than that if I order one online and include shipping...
Also, I knew I'd read somewhere that one of the SF bezels could fit onto the Scorpion...thanks for the headsup on the links! I have a KL1 btw, so that might be a plus for the Scorpion...

Arioch,
Thanks for your pros and cons, noted and taken into consideration.

Led Ed,
Yah, the P61 would definitely add to the Wow factor, but not to the $$/batteries factor... Think the P60 would definitely be sufficient for me... (for now!!)

Quickbeam,
Wish it was that easy for me to just waltz into a Walmart... the stores here barely have any lights worth looking at, except for the occasional one or two that overprice the lights! Put it this way, I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I walked into an Ace Hardware store and saw that they had a few Nightstar IIs for sale (around USD$50) and also a small range of Rayovacs and the Dorcy disposables!! Thats like the best I've seen all in 1 shop for a while!! There's this other outdoor shop here that carries a full range of M*gs as well as lots of PT stuff, but no LED lights at all! When I asked them, they were like:"Would you consider a M*glite?" You could imagine the look i had on my face then!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Add in the comments from PlayboyJoe, BC0311 and Chamenos... geez, looks like its a lop-sided contest btwn the 2 lights!! I'm even more undecided now, but starting to lean towards the G2... Thanks you guys, I'll need to digest some of these info first, and I'll bet there's more to come soon!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Actually, if you want to throw bright light out pretty far, you really need a Pelican M6 over the other two lights. The Scorpion is next for throw. What the SF G2 P60 does is put a wall of light out maybe 50 - 75 feet.

One of our CPF sponsors has the M6 for 30 bucks!

But the G2 is a pretty nice light!!!!!