Tell me about....Streamlight

pinetree89

Enlightened
I've owned all kinds of lights, but never a Streamlight. I see talk of them on CPF, but never quite as often as the regulars like Surefire, Fenix, Foursevens, etc.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of construction, maintenance, electrician type guys I work around all seem to have them although I'm not proficient enough to recognize the various models. I'm surmising that this perhaps means they're durable?

Who is their market and their most likely buyers? I know it's subjective, but how is their quality? How is their technology?

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
Over the past several years Streamlight's technology hasn't been cutting edge, but not horrible either. They offer several light models in sizes ranging from the Microstream (1 x AAA battery) to the SL20L (Similar size to a 3 x D cell Mag Lite). Many, if not most of their current lineup offers multi-modes and fairly respectable lumen output. I have two Microstreams, a PT1L, PT2AA (now known as the "Pro Tac"), Stinger, Stinger XT, Three SL20X lights including one with a Terralux 600 lumen drop-in, and a Strion with the Terralux TIR 200 lumen drop-in. They have seen some pretty severe abuse as duty lights in custody and patrol assignments. I also instruct deputies in low-light firearms training and have seen hundreds, if not thousands of Streamlights used on duty or during scenario based training on the range. They are very durable and reliable. The biggest drawback (In my opinion) is the longevity of the NiCad batteries in the larger models.

Streamlight has a new tactical light out they say puts out 600 lumens on 2 CR123 batteries. It's something I want to check out.

I own a bunch of Surefires, along with several other brands (Fenix, Foursevens, Eagletac, Lumapower, Sunwayman, etc.) and I would say Streamlight isn't quite as high-end as Surefire, but you are generally not paying as much either, and they aren't as innovative as some of the above, but they are dependable, have decent (simple) UIs, and offer decent performance.

I am satisfied with all of mine and recommend them frequently to those wanting a simple but effective light.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who is their market and their most likely buyers? I know it's subjective, but how is their quality? How is their technology?

Streamlight's primary target market is LEO and emergency service personnel, the products whilst not leading edge are robust, well made reliable and have a good range of accessories... I own a few of their products and would happily buy more, I really like their Alternative Lighting Source designs :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my first Streamlight in 1985 (SL-20, STILL have it) and have bought many more since. They are well built, yet what FEW problems I have ever had with any (would have fingers left on 1 hand counting), they took care of quickly. Until I found SureFire in 1995, they were my favorite lights. I HIGHLY recommend them.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

fishndad

Enlightened
I've owned all kinds of lights, but never a Streamlight. I see talk of them on CPF, but never quite as often as the regulars like Surefire, Fenix, Foursevens, etc.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of construction, maintenance, electrician type guys I work around all seem to have them although I'm not proficient enough to recognize the various models. I'm surmising that this perhaps means they're durable?

I havnt noticed 1 construction , maintenance or electrician person using a streamlight.Iv been in the industry for 16 years.
On the comercial side and have been on many big jobs.
Im always looking to see what a guy is carrying.
I have only met a few guys who even are aware of and prefer to carry a nice light.
In my experience they, being the majority of construction workers, like the mini mags or a cheep gas station LED.
That being said i dont have any working knowledge of Streamlight.Sorry.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
For the most part the others got it down pat. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is the fact that Streamlight makes throwers out of most of its lights. All of their lights that I have come across have pretty tight hotspots. That makes them great as tactical lights but not so great as general purpose lights. It's kind of annoying to have to constantly hunt around with your light to find things up close. That new protac with the six hundred lumens does look quite promising though. Maybe they switched over to the new XBD led from Cree. From my experience they are very tough and nicely designed, though I feel that you are paying a bit much for what you are getting. But, that's mostly because they are out of my flashlight budget range :broke:....

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight makes lights for special applications like for use in hazardous locations.

in chemical, oil and gas industries a spark can cause a major explosion that can destroy the whole area around the plant and kill a lot of people. (In Toronto an explosion at a natural gas transfer station forced the evacuation for blocks around the site. 2 years later some people can not move back into their homes due to chemical contamination making rebuilding a tedious affair.)

Streamlight makes special flashlights for use in these applications. They have one way valves to equalize pressure should a battery release gas. They also have a catalyst pill to safely combine any hydrogen gas released by the battery before the hydrogen starts an explosion. The bodies of most of this series are made of polymer so a dropped flashlight would not cause a spark when it hits a stone or concrete floor. As firemen tend to be issued with these flashlights the beams are narrow to cut through smoke.

Because these flashlights have to go through EXPENSIVE and TIME CONSUMING tests at approved safety labs they are not upgraded as soon as a new LED is available. The lack of new models every 3 months means a lack of discussion on CPF.
To meet INTRINSICALLY SAFE electrical standards the electrical circuits have to be less than 24V and less than 1A. This limits the output of the lights of this series as P7/SSC50/90/XML lights run at way over the safety current allowed (3 to 9A is much higher than 1A). It is possible to make flashlights explosion proof without going the intrinsically safe route but it is more difficult.

-

In addition to Hazardous Location/Fire/Rescue flashlights Streamlight also make flashlights for Military and Law Enforcement use. When Streamlight says the light is tactical they do NOT mean the light comes with a pointy strike bezel. They mean it comes with a GUN MOUNT.

Streamlight also makes flashlights for Industrial, Sporting Goods and Auto/Hardware customers. These are your normal every day flashlights.

When you go to the Streamlight website under MARKETS you will see
Law Enforcement
Fire/Rescue
Industrial
Sporting Goods
Auto/Hardware
Military
Their flashlights are designed for specific end use. Click on the above headings and flashlights suitable for the application is listed.

-

Similarly most North American flashlight manufacturers (except Maglite) tend to design flashlights for specific markets.

Surefire for SWAT/special forces though they are branching out to fire/rescue and outdoors.
Underwater Kinetics and Tectite for dive lights.

Last edited: