S. Cal. wildfires phone/camera pics blog

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't going to say anything about this topic, since I'm on the East coast. But even over here, it's been all over local news and talk radio. Also special reports all day long on the national networks. Sounds quite serious.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
If this was in Montana or Wyoming, you wouldn't hardly be hearing squat about it, even if the damage and threat to life was the same. But because it's CA...

dlee96

Newly Enlightened
It's actually a pretty big fire. I woke up the first morning and the sky was almost blood red. That morning I had to contemplate if I died in my sleep and woke up in hell.
Luckily that was not the case. Still scary though.

-dlee

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm over here in Santa Barbara, fairly far from the fires, but yet people here are still greatly affected. You can see brown smoke around the edges of the sky. You can tell the smoke is in the air because it irritates your eyes and for some sensitive people it makes breathing a little bit more difficult.

In P.E. class today we just sat inside and watched a movie. Our coach said that he went jogging this morning and his lungs were stinging, so he thought it best for us to take it easy today.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
14 million people are affected here. If not directly in the path of the fire-then we are getting the smoke and ash. It is pretty bad. Air traffic all around the country is affected too.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
If this was in Montana or Wyoming, you wouldn't hardly be hearing squat about it, even if the damage and threat to life was the same. But because it's CA...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not quite accurate. It's true that should California stub her toe, it would be in the national news. This is much greater than stubbing the toe.

The states that suffer these same risks have a relationship that basically destroys the borders. Each of us give our own citizens to help. Each of those states offer their own fire fighters, and national guards to fight the fires, risking and losing their lives.

We might think California acts far too flamboyant, and might even suspect she's a harlot. But, she's our sister, and we'll defend her as a sister, the same as we would Wyoming, and Montana. Heh... we'd even do the same for Texas, if the sand ever catches fire.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've have a friend that lives in Devore ( San Bernadino County ) that lost his house, they just finished a $20,000 kitchen./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif At my house, about 50 miles away from the fire, ash and soot covers everything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
Just a comment on the NASA image. Each 250x250m pixel with fire in it has been turned hot red by the analysis program. That is not a true photographic representation of the fires, but it is certainly illustrative of the areas devestated. It's a bit confusing--a subtle point, but it needs explaining.

We stayed home Sunday instead of going to our block party in Glendale because the smoke was so thick--and it was so hot.

I'm sorry for your friend, V8TOYTRUCK--I hope he has insurance!

Richard

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry empath that's a pretty sorry left handed compliment(?)

GregR

TOB9595

Enlightened
Is this fire in the Claremont area?
If so how much involvement?
I've been searching sites and haven't got a good handle on this.
Tom

JackBlades

Enlightened
Well, they say everything's BIG in Texas.....I guess that includes fools who make stupid assumptions about California.

Peter, sorry to hear your friend lost their home. I work with a gal who lives in Crestline. So far her house has been spared but she cannot go check on it yet.

This is shaping up to be one of the worst disasters in California history. Your prayers would be appreciated.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
JackBlades,

Everybody down south has my prayers. Memories of the Oakland Hills fires with 3500 homes lost are flooding back.

I would like to think during times of disaster that those Americans here among us remember we are American's first and family. Family helps family.

GregR

andybingley

Newly Enlightened
This is even making the National News in the UK. Care for everyone affected but we seem to be hearing that the multi-million dollar home areas are getting better protection. Is this true or is UK news being over cynical. Fire fighters should be protecting the many not the rich.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TOB, the large fires are pretty far from the Claremont area. Also, I don't remember Claremont with any large wooded areas, its pretty much all developed. I would think your daughter is ok.

My friends house that burned down in Devore is about 25+ miles northeast of Claremont. Oh, his house has fire insurance so they should be ok. But thanks for all the kind words.

BTW, I heard on the news the fire is now about the size of Rhode Island!

TOB9595

Enlightened
Thanks V8T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I hadn't heard from her

This is a terrible happening caused by arsonists, I've read.
Insurance doesn't cover the pictures and memories. But it is needed.
The perps who did this....burning is too good for them
Prayers to all
Tom