Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L lux reading

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I have tried the search and Google, but I have been unable to find a reliable lux reading@1m for the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L. I'm looking into getting this light with a MD4 body, but I want to make sure, that it throws significantly better than my Maelstrom X7.

If noone can get me lux reading, maybe someone could tell me the approximate size of the hotspot at 1m? That should allow for a back of the napkin calculation of the lux number, based on the Maelstrom lux reading and hotspot size.

radioactive_man

Enlightened
Can you tell me the approximate hotspot size at 1m? I guess 20000 lux means, that it throws a little better than a Maelstrom X7, but with a much bigger hotspot?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, the Hound Dog XM-L has an orange peel reflector, and a relatively gradual transition from hot spot to corona to spill. Part of what I love about the HD is that it's not all hot spot which makes it more usable than a pure thrower. That said, I just measured to the best of my abilities and it looks to have about a 5.5 inch hot spot at 1 meter.

I'm not sure why you think the HD would have a larger hot spot... the reflector appears to be larger than the X7's which usually means a smaller hot spot, though I realize other factors in the design of the reflector come into play as well. If anything, I would think the extra lux come from the fact that the XM-L is just driven harder in the HD. 750 lumens vs 480 is enoug to have an appreciable impact on the lux even in the same reflector.