E1B questions

Cole07

Enlightened
So I am debating buying a Surefire backup... But I was curious as to how far it will throw the beam. I work in a big warehouse sometimes at night and would like to have a nice throwing single cell cr123 light with me. I couldn't find any actual lumen values or lux/throwing distances. Anyone have any ideas?

Penguin

Enlightened
The E1B uses SF's standard KX1/KX2/E2DL/LX2 TIR optic... that's to say it's VERY throwy. Heck, even my E2L Outdoorsman with its KX2 on low setting seems to be throwing quite far for its miserly 3 lumens. Although the upcoming EB1 will be rated at 200Lumens, I'm not too sure how much of those numbers will translate into real world use... especially behind SF's TIR optic.

I can easily identify a target at 50 yards out with my E1B, even further if it's really dark out. Warehouses tend to be very dark with the lights off as there's little to no ambient light.... the E1B should really shine in a situation like that.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to go with the E1b, and don't mind using RCR123A rechargeable batteries. You could find a used E1b, then send it to Wayne aka Vinh to change the Driver out to a low/high with a 3 second memory. If this may be an option, I'll let you know how my E1b performs (or what I think about it) when it arrives in a few days.

Wayne describes the change as:

CR123 = Good light
RCR123 = Pocket Rocket

There is another driver option that will allow you to use either CR123 primary or RCR123 rechargeable batteries. This one has a Low-Medium-High with or without last mode memory. The one without the memory will always turn on in low.

Side note: You'll lose Surefire's warranty if you mod the light!

I'll end up waiting for the LX2 Ultra in stead of the EB1!

Last edited: