[SOLVED] High CRI light sources/limited runs

Bigpal

Enlightened
Hey all,
i've been looking around here and on the Marketplace researching high CRI lights. I'm looking to purchase one and have seen the Predator and 4sevens offerings.

But as I continue to search, I'll run across high CRI options here and there (like a Malkoff drop in, or a Mule), although the Mule is out of my range. The way things go, I'll make a purchase, then find something a day later that I really want.

So, basically I'm wondering if you guys could post up some currently available high CRI sources so I can make an educated decision. Especially, if there are limited manufacturer runs right now. I'm really liking the Predator right now, and that is about the max I'm willing to spend.

BTW: the requirements for this light are not too strict. I would like:
At least 100 lumens
(preferably) more throw than flood
AA, RCR123, or 18650 cells

I really appreciate any help

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: High CRI light sources/limited runs

zebralight uses luxeon rebels that are rated at around 85 cri
fourseven uses cree XP-Gs rated around 85 cri.
oveready offers peak lights with nichia 219 which so far is the latest and greatest. 93 cri with around 4500k tint. i have a few lights with them and like it alot.
oveready also has torchlabs triple LED drop-ins. going to have to check the availability of those. its been offered with high CRI XP-Gs as well as the nichia 219.
illuminationsupply sells high CRI XP-Gs and nichia 219 on MCPCB or as a bare emitter, if you want to dabble in modding.
illuminationsupply also has the high cri malkoff drop-ins like you mentioned.
HDS also offers their models with high CRI, but good luck trying to get one. production has been slow due to some manufacturing dilemmas.
nailbender at the customs BST can custom make you a drop-in with LED of your choice. as well as a bunch of other options such as modes, relfectors, drivers etc.

i have a high CRI armytek predator, and i can recommend it. i dont like it as much as any of my surefires, but its a very versitle light. throws extremely well for its size. huge range of outputs from low low to blinding. programmable UI, although im not a fan of bezel twisting, it is what it is. ive kept mine fairly simple with only 2 modes on each line.

Last edited:

Bigpal

Enlightened

Skyfire,
This is very helpful, thanks a lot. I'll be checking all of this out.

LGT

Enlightened

IMO, the Predator has a really nice tint. But it can be a project to program. The quark Mini also has a nice tint, just not in the same league as the Armytek as far as color rendition. But an inexpensive quark could be a nice place to start and see if high CRI appeals to you.

Bigpal

Enlightened

Thanks. I'm actually probably gonna go with a 4sevens model. I was leaning toward the Predator because I really like it, but Armytek seems to have deserted a lot of people at the Marketplace.

I've sent a couple questions via the website - nothing. They're not responding to inquiries, last they said their online order form for customizing the Predator was down. If that's indicitave of their quality and service, I think I'll pass.

I retract the above because they finally responded.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

We have a wide representation of cultures and budgets on this forum.

What is your budget for this light?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Imo, the nichita 219 and rebels got way better tint than the xp-g's.

Rebel, Nichia, cree.
scaled.php

Last edited:

Bigpal

Enlightened
RE: High CRI light sources/limited runs

We have a wide representation of cultures and budgets on this forum.

What is your budget for this light?

The Predator was probably the highest I am willing to go, so around $100-120. I saw the Nichia 219 Malkoff's yesterday, which I believe they have listed as 92 CRI 4500k. This sounds really nice to me. If that's it on the right above, I am really liking it.

Edit: I went with a Nailbender Nichia High CRI in a blue Solarforce L2P. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Predator was probably the highest I am willing to go, so around $100-120. I saw the Nichia 219 Malkoff's yesterday, which I believe they have listed as 92 CRI 4500k. This sounds really nice to me. If that's it on the right above, I am really liking it.

Edit: I went with a Nailbender Nichia High CRI in a blue Solarforce L2P. Thanks for all the suggestions.

The lights in the picture are (from left): zebraight h51fc with a rebel. Lumintop worm modded with a nichia 219. Quark preon 2 hi cri xp-g.