Help, msgsrv32 hangs on startup for win98se

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
I have not been able to start up my desktop all morning.
The msgsrv32 hangs and does not respond. looked into the MS site and it says something about power management but it can't be that.
I'm about to give up and do a fresh install with win2000 but my sister has some things on the computer that's for her work.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try installing over instead of a fresh install. Boot up with the CD Rom/Boot Disks, and follow the instructions to install over the current OS (think its the 'repair' option) and NOT format and install...

Sounds like you have some corrupt files maybe? Reinstalling instead of a fresh run usually works for me...

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
thanks, was.
I'm on my laptop via a wireless connection. I think it's best to do a fresh install on the desktop to match the win2000pro on the laptop. I did look it up and it's too much troubleshooting to find the problem, it could be anything because my kid plays on the desktop and could of installed anything thru the pop ups.
I have this phantom x box on the screen which I don't know what it is.

doubleganger

Enlightened
If your sister's stuff is important you could install the hard drive into another pc as a second drive then copy her stuff off, that is unless the drive itself is shot. Do I have to give you the back up anything important speech?

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
No sir, dg
I have all my importand files backed up in my laptop and on zip disks. But girls don't seem to understand the term. Had friends who tried to fix computers and of course many of the females never backed up their data.
it's easier for her to work here due to cable internet and closer to the gov't offices.