• AW IMR 18650 2000 mAh safe chemistry cells

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (please explain)

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
On my wishlist I currently have one NITECORE Tiny Monster TM 11 and one SYSMAX Intellicharge i4 (v2), but I haven't been able to decide on a battery type yet.
Although I don't have any experience with Li-ion cells, I feel I've read up enough on the topic to jump in.

At the moment, I've narrowed my options down to:
  • AW 18650 2900 mAh protected cells (oops, these are flat-tops; any other suggestions?)
  • AW IMR 18650 2000 mAh safe chemistry cells
  • EagleTac 18650 3100 mAh protected button-top cells (looks like these have the right length)
To help me decide, I have a number of questions:

1. Do these batteries fit?
  2. The TM11 seems to use the batteries in parallel; (how) does that affect battery safety?
  3. Does the TM11 have any sort of low voltage cutoff itself?
I'm especially interested in hearing from current TM11 owners.

Edit: I just realized the 2900 mAh is a flat-top cell, so I guess that excludes it as well. Are there any alternatives to the IMR 2000 mAh that I might have missed?
Mods: I wasn't sure whether this should go in the LED or electronics subforum. If I posted in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Last edited:

cbr400rr

Newly Enlightened
You might want to look into Orbtronics 18650's. They are just as good as AW, they panasonic cells, and significant cheaper.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
You might want to look into Orbtronics 18650's. They are just as good as AW, they panasonic cells, and significant cheaper.

Since I'm in Sweden, sourcing those might be a problem. The AWs are available from at least two webshops that ship to my location without too much overhead. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only handled the TM11, and don't have much experience with it....very cool light though. So, I will chime in regarding batteries. The CPF favorites & most trusted brands of Li-ion rechargeable batteries are - AW and Redilast; however, recently EagleTac and Orbtronics have jumped into the Li-ion market with the same quality (Panasonic) cells which are selling for less. All are excellent and are imo the best around.

Stick with these four brands though as most of the other brands are selling junk/rejects/recycled cells.....not good.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I have only handled the TM11, and don't have much experience with it....very cool light though. So, I will chime in regarding batteries. The CPF favorites & most trusted brands of Li-ion rechargeable batteries are - AW and Redilast; however, recently EagleTac and Orbtronics have jumped into the Li-ion market with the same quality (Panasonic) cells which are selling for less. All are excellent and are imo the best around.

Stick with these four brands though as most of the other brands are selling junk/rejects/recycled cells.....not good.

Thanks. With international shipping being complicated nowadays as far as Li-ion batteries are concerned (still haven't found a local store carrying any), my options already seem to be limited to the options you listed by means of availability. :rolleyes:

jalal20

Enlightened
I use eagletacs 3100 with the intellicharger and the TM11, perfect combo

Q8iGunner

Newly Enlightened
I own the TM11, the Intellicharger i4 v2, 4x RediLast 3100 18650's and 4x EagleTac 3100 18650's.

Do these batteries fit? Yes both battery brands fit inside the TM11 and the V2 Charger (I don't know about the v1 Intellicharger)
The TM11 seems to use the batteries in parallel; (how) does that affect battery safety? I don't know and that's why I use high quality protected cells and always make sure that batteries voltage is the same.
Does the TM11 have any sort of low voltage cutoff itself? If I remember correctly then Yes.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
When I bought my TM-11 I wanted to use 3100 mAh cells. The light requires button top cells, not flat tops, so I bought four of the Panasonic 3100 from Orbtronic.

Since you're in Europe it may be easier to buy from AW (who's great to deal with). He sells the 3100 mAh cells but not sure if he offers button tops. You can also buy flat tops & use the small neo magnets (charging magnets) in place of the button end.

Great little light, the most fun I've had in years :)

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
When I bought my TM-11 I wanted to use 3100 mAh cells. The light requires button top cells, not flat tops, so I bought four of the Panasonic 3100 from Orbtronic.

Since you're in Europe it may be easier to buy from AW (who's great to deal with). He sells the 3100 mAh cells but not sure if he offers button tops. You can also buy flat tops & use the small neo magnets (charging magnets) in place of the button end.

Great little light, the most fun I've had in years :)

I found a shop that carries EagleTac 3100s, so I think I'm all set.

DucS2R

Enlightened
My setup is the I4 V2 charger and the Eagletac protected 18650's and it works great. You will be amazed at this light!

T

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a shop that carries EagleTac 3100s, so I think I'm all set.

Don't read about the upcoming new Zebralight 3-xml 2000+ lumen, 3x18650, but significantly shorter still than the TM11 !

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Don't read about the upcoming new Zebralight 3-xml 2000+ lumen, 3x18650, but significantly shorter still than the TM11 !

Oh no! I had only just decided between the TM11 and the TN30!
Although wasn't that supposed to come out Q1 2012?

Last edited: