New 2012 Inova T4 303 lumens

surge50

Newly Enlightened
I see that flashlights unlimited has the Inova T4 with 303 lumens for sale. Anyone know if these are in the wild yet? Not to much out there about them otherwise and Inova's site shows the old model. Anyone have any info? Thanks, Jon.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering if this is the 2011 T4 with an XML, or have they increased the battery capacity and are driving the xpg harder?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, according to Inova, they are using an XPG still. My thoughts where the same as yours phaserburn. The original 2011 model battery was listed many places as only 2150ma capacity. Many newer 18500 cells are around 3000ma capacity. I suspect they are using a slightly higher drive and a newer cell.

I think I prefer the 2011 version due to it's medium level drive with 6 hours runtime. It should get even longer runtime if a higher capacity cell is put in. Plus there are some good deals on the 2011 model. Decisions.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spoke with Floyd at Flashlights Unlimited this afternoon. He said the new battery isn't any bigger, really, than the 2011 (2200 vs 2150). So, the answer lies with: A) XPG swapped to XML or B) circuit change to up the drive current to produce more output.

Floyd did say the new one looked a bit floodier, which leans me toward A. He agreed, nicely, to shoot a couple of pics of the led for me and email them to me this weekend. I will report back when I see what's under the hood of this latest version.

If you're a throw fan, the xpg version is the way to go; it's got a very throwy beam. I'm hoping for flood myself.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the 303 lumen version so I should know next week some time. We shall see. I'll post my findings.

I hope Those runtimes where with a 2200ma cell as I plan to use an AW 3100ma cell.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
New 2012 Inova T4 303 Lumens

Sweet! I just went from Gen 1 to Gen 2 T4 a few months back. I look forward to the reviews.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the 303 lumen version so I should know next week some time. We shall see. I'll post my findings.

I hope Those runtimes where with a 2200ma cell as I plan to use an AW 3100ma cell.

Are you going to build that cell? The T4 uses a battery which has both terminals on one side, similar to a Streamlight Stinger stick, or SL Strion's cell (which is directly compatible with the T4's battery).

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you going to build that cell? The T4 uses a battery which has both terminals on one side, similar to a Streamlight Stinger stick, or SL Strion's cell (which is directly compatible with the T4's battery).

I don't know. I'll have to see when it gets here. I was hoping a 18650 would work. There is a compatibility chart that shows that the Inova cell for 2011-12 does have a plus/minus on one side but also a minus at the opposite end. So I will have to see how the light works with the cell and if the standard 18650 will work. Else, I'll have to see if a Inova cell can be modified. It sounds like the OEM cell is some kind of plastic casing with maybe a regular 18650 inside.

If neither option is possible, I think I will return the light since I want to be able to use the new high capacity 18650's that are available.

surge50

Newly Enlightened
Regulator did you order from flashlights unlimited? I have not bought a light in a while and was not familiar with that company. I am back on third shift tomorrow and only have the first generation of the T4. Was going to buy a new battery but saw all the changes that have gone on. Was not sure if I should have just ordered the 2011 or try the new 2012. Either way it should be a big improvement over my old light. Thanks, Jon.

mmace1

Enlightened
It's $120...I should not buy this just because I've always thought inova lights looked cool. I should not buy this just because I've always though inova lights looked cool...

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my 303 Lumen model. I don't have a XML light to compare to but it looks identical to a XPG - so I believe that is what it is. I'll check tonight but it seems very bright and has a powerfule beam.

Build quality is excellent and the light feels very solid and well built. The reflector is pretty large for a relatively small light. Unfortunately the battery is not a standard 18650. It may have one inside it's OEM "shell". It looks like possible the shell could be opened up but it is not made to be user opened. I have mixed thoughts on this. If I decide to keep the light, I will purchase an extra cell to try and modify. This is a very nice light with a great recharging cradle. Got mine from Brightguy.

Last edited:

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
Any more thoughts on the 2012 R model versus the 2011 model? I need to order a new flashlight and have narrowed it down to one if these versions.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2012 model. The large deep reflector produces a pretty powerful beam with decent spill. All in all a nice solid light. The low mode works good for general purpose lighting and around the house.

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
I have the 2012 model. The large deep reflector produces a pretty powerful beam with decent spill. All in all a nice solid light. The low mode works good for general purpose lighting and around the house.

Is the 2012 model larger than previous versions?